Prix de Lausanne 2019

Pas de Quatre

3 minutes ago, Sabine0308 said:

This school has another PdL winner, they must do something right 😉.   If you take your time to watch the entire gala, you can see how many fine young dancers learn their. So my congratulation goes not only to Mackenzie Brown, but also to the wonderful teachers and staff at APT.

Yes, absolutely! (I also trained at this school ;-) )

• Like 1

As ever an amazing array of talent. In the final I enjoyed the classical solos much more than the contemporary ones. This year the contemporary solos all seemed very similar with the exception of the girls' one to an extract from Swan Lake which didn't really do it for me either. 

Anyway it is lovely to see the next generation of exceptional dancers dancing their hearts out!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

They have a Junior division usually 15 - 16, (but yes the occasional 14 year old) and a Senior Division 17 - 19.  Junior prizes are a year's tuition at one of the listed schools such as RBS, ENBS in UK and equally prestigious ones elsewhere.  Senior prizes are apprenticeships with companies.  It is easy to identify which group a candidate belongs to:- numbers beginning 1-- are Junior female, 2-- are Junior male, 3-- are Senior female, 4-- are Senior male. 

• Like 2

Tangential, but I just saw this on the twitters. Gabriel Figueredo, of Stuttgart, won the men's title and is showing some serious, scowling, head up and back attitude:

https://twitter.com/Szenik/status/1095001278743281667

• 1 month later...

Schools & companies chosen by prizewinners

This has just been published on the PdL website.  Interesting to see the choices.

1- BROWN Mackenzie – United States

School chosen: the Académie Princesse Grace (Monaco) / Scholarship offered by the Fondation Caris – Jeune Espoir

2- FIGUEREDO Gabriel – Brazil

Forfeited his apprenticeship as he has accepted a permanent contract with the Stuttgart Ballet. The apprenticeship is offered to:

SEO Yoon Jung – South Korea

Company chosen: the ABT Studio Company (New York) / Apprenticeship offered by the Oak Foundation

3- SASAKI Sumina – Japan

Company chosen: To Be Confirmed / Apprenticeship offered by Emile Chouriet

4- WAKIZUKA Yu – Japan

School chosen: the San Francisco Ballet School (Trainee Program)/ Scholarship offered by the Beau-Rivage Palace

5- WU Shuailun – China

School chosen: the Royal Ballet School (London) / Scholarship offered by the Fondation Albert Amon

6- DA SILVA João Vitor – Brazil

School chosen: the San Fransisco Ballet School / Scholarship offered by the Bourse Jeune Espoir

7- JOAQUIM Alexandre – Portugal

Company chosen: the Ballets de Monte Carlo / Apprenticeship offered by the Fondation Coromandel

8- SUMIYAMA Mio – Japan

Company chosen: the Birmingham Royal Ballet / Apprenticeship offered by Harlequin Floors

• Like 2

Interesting that the top prize winner decided to stay at the same school she was already attending. There was some discussion at the prix about this, wondering what the goal was for attending a competition like this when you're already at a very good school and not yet ready for a professional contract. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Viv said:

Interesting that the top prize winner decided to stay at the same school she was already attending. There was some discussion at the prix about this, wondering what the goal was for attending a competition like this when you're already at a very good school and not yet ready for a professional contract. Any thoughts?

Testing yourself against the competition? Wanting a challenge?  The love of competing? The opportunity to take classes with other outstanding teachers? Gaining contacts for future job auditions? 

• Like 3

I suspect it's a chance to have your fees paid for you!! I think most of the young dancers entering these competitions are hoping to win to get their final training paid for ....not all come from wealthy families and some have the additional expense of having to train abroad to get to a good enough school or teacher.