Hikaru Kobayashi retirement; Federico Bonelli on Clore Leadership Programme

There hasn't been, so thanks for finding a public source, Sharon.  It was what I was referring to obliquely in the RB leavers/joiners thread the other day - her last performance is tonight, as Countess Larisch.

• Like 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Hikaru Kobayashi
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Hikaru Kobayashi retirement; Federico Bonelli on Clore Fellowship

Just think, if they'd announced it a bit earlier, a few more people would have been able to make arrangements to attend her final show ;) 

She's been a great company stalwart over the years, appearing in a variety of roles.  I particularly liked her Aurora, and was glad she got to dance it on

the ROH stage together with Bonelli.  Wishing her all the best for the future.

• Like 14

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Hikaru Kobayashi retirement; Federico Bonelli on Clore Leadership Programme

And in our Press inbox from the Royal Ballet:

Hikaru Kobayashi to retire as a dancer from The Royal Ballet

At the performance of Mayerling on Tuesday 30th October, Hikaru Kobayashi will make her last performance with The Royal Ballet after 15 years with the Company.

Hikaru Kobayashi was born in Tokyo and trained locally and at the Paris Opera Ballet School. She danced with the Jeune Ballet de France, Zürich Ballet and Dutch National Ballet before joining The Royal Ballet in 2003 as a First Artist. She was promoted to Soloist in 2006 and First Soloist in 2009.

Director Kevin O’Hare says, ‘Hikaru has made a wonderful contribution to the life and spirit of The Royal Ballet both on and off stage during her 15 years with us. She has taken on a wide range of roles within the repertory during her career, excelling notably in the classics including Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty and the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker and Nikiya in  La Bayadère.  She has also brought fine sensitivity to dramatic roles such as Myrtha in Giselle, Gamzatti in La Bayadère and Countess Larisch in Mayerling  so it is particularly fitting that we should see her in this role for her final performance with the company. We wish Hikaru every happiness for the future.’

Federico Bonelli awarded a place on the Clore Leadership programme

Royal Ballet Principal Federico Bonelli has been awarded a place on the prestigious Clore Leadership Programme, a programme of personal and professional development. With mentoring support from the Clore Leadership team, a senior cultural leader and a professional coach, each Fellow undergoes a period of accelerated learning adapted to their aspirations, needs and circumstances. This includes a secondment in an organisation different to their own or a period of research connected to an academic institution. Federico will perform as scheduled in Mayerling, and will return to The Royal Ballet in Spring 2019 to dance in Frankenstein, before returning for the 2019/20 Season. A replacement for his Nutcracker perfumes will be announced shortly.

Director of The Royal Ballet Kevin O’Hare comments “I am thrilled that Federico has been awarded this prestigious place. The Clore Leadership Programme is such a fantastic platform for personal development, for reflection, critical thinking and expansion of horizons. I have no doubt that Federico will be enthused by this opportunity. We look forward to him returning to dance full time with The Royal Ballet in the 2019/20 Season”.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, alison said:

Just think, if they'd announced it a bit earlier, a few more people would have been able to make arrangements to attend her final show ;) 

She's been a great company stalwart over the years, appearing in a variety of roles.  I particularly liked her Aurora, and was glad she got to dance it on

the ROH stage together with Bonelli.  Wishing her all the best for the future.

The email in the inbox was timed at 16:26 so no chance of getting down from Liverpool!

Just now, Jan McNulty said:

The email in the inbox was timed at 16:26 so no chance of getting down from Liverpool!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: we need a Star Trek transporter to be developed ASAP!  Just the minor problem that apparently it'd probably take the energy of a small sun to power it :) 

• Like 2

I have just once had a chance of seeing Hikaru Kobayashi dance - at the summer concert of the Verdensballet in Denmark in 2014, she was performing by the side of Federico Bonelli and I remember the wonderful solemn dance from "Tais". Good luck to her in the future and a lot of thanks for her beautiful dancing!

• Like 4