I'm afraid I've given up on thinking that no news is good news :( 

I did wonder at Hirano being down to dance Romeo when I went on the page just now: I was sure I didn't remember him having been cast, but that would explain it.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Well you’ll still get to see Stix-Brunell, which IMHO is no bad thing!

True - unfortunately I was hoping to see William in Two Pigeons but that was not to be either !

13 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

At this rate it’s soon going to be a case of ‘Wherefore Art Thou?’

Not wishing to be pedantic, but 'wherefore' in Shakespearean English means 'why' and not 'where' .  'Wherefore art thou Romeo?' is Juliet asking and lamenting 'why do you have to be a Montague?'

• Like 5

1 hour ago, capybara said:

The issue with the casting for R&J is that the spread out run opens very soon and the rehearsals for all casts are probably well under way already. ‘Month’ will doubtless be in the studio somewhat later on.

So there is still some hope for Bracewell to be  in "Month", you think? 

2 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

At this rate it’s soon going to be a case of ‘Wherefore Art Thou?’

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Not wishing to be pedantic, but 'wherefore' in Shakespearean English means 'why' and not 'where' .  'Wherefore art thou Romeo?' is Juliet asking and lamenting 'why do you have to be a Montague?'

I think we can all empathise with the sentiment though.

• Like 2

I wonder how the RB can manage to announce a replacement for Bracewell in R&J in June but still haven't announced his replacement in Frankenstein in a couple of weeks? (And was anyone else hoping that if any replacement Romeos were required that Campbell would get the job or just me?)

• Like 3

Just now, Dawnstar said:

(And was anyone else hoping that if any replacement Romeos were required that Campbell would get the job or just me?)

Yes, I was. But I do see that the height issue just might be relevant in this case.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bridiem said:

I've received an email saying that due to injury, William Bracewell is replaced by Ryoichi Hirano on Mon 13th May 7.30pm and Sat 25th May 1.30pm.

Hoping Bracewell not long term injured. But I booked that first date specifically to see Beatriz Stix Brunell get her chance to shine. 

And since Ryoichi Hirano absolutely blew me away in his star turn as Espada, I am happy to see anything he does. 

Excited to see this show. Think they will both bring a modern charisma to the classic R&J couple. 
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Ah, is Stix-Brunnell quite tall? I've only seen her in Patineurs where she wasn't really being partnered.

She's not TALL tall, but she's the sort of dancer who gets Big Swan type roles rather than Cygnets.  Certainly a bit tall for Campbell.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RuthE said:

She's not TALL tall, but she's the sort of dancer who gets Big Swan type roles rather than Cygnets.  Certainly a bit tall for Campbell.

But she has danced with him before in roles such as Alice /Mad Hatter, Within the Golden Hour, and Ceremony of Innocence. Plus Campbell is partnering Magri in Don Q who looks no shorter, nor slighter, than B S-B. But yes, Hirano should go well with her, and maybe Campbell is still in reserve in case Corrales can't dance with Hayward, for example. 

• Like 1

I don't think Magri is as leggy (to repeat terminology used above) as Stix-Brunell. And yes, my assumption would be that Campbell would be the obvious shoo-in as a partner for Hayward if Corrales can't do his performances.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Sorry to be grumpy but must we keep going round the subject of who *might* be injured? It does seem rather pointless (and a little intrusive IMO) to keep speculating in the absence of any actual information.

But Lizbie we know both Bracewell and Corrales (and several others) are currently out through injury.  In  the context of possible future pairings, I don't see that  discussing  potential availability  is any more intrusive or pointless than  discussing  potential  suitability.  

• Like 1

Just now, Richard LH said:

But Lizbie we know both Bracewell and Corrales (and several others) are currently out through injury.  In  the context of possible future pairings, I don't see that  discussing  potential availability  is any more intrusive or pointless than  discussing  potential  suitability.  

Well since you mention it.. I’m not sure that some of the discussion about potential suitability has been that useful either.

Sure, we know that there’s a question mark over whether Corrales will be able to dance Romeo, but until we have some intelligence from either him or the RB I can’t see much value in discussing it. And I think it *is* potentially intrusive talking about known injuries. I know nothing of Corrales’ case in particular, but if I were a promising young dancer facing a long lay-off or worse, I don’t think I’d want the general public talking about it, particularly with no facts to hand.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Well since you mention it.. I’m not sure that some of the discussion about potential suitability has been that useful either.

12 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Sure, we know that there’s a question mark over whether Corrales will be able to dance Romeo, but until we have some intelligence from either him or the RB I can’t see much value in discussing it.

Fair enough, but no-one need partake in any discussion on here that they don't personally find useful, or of value. 

13 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

And I think it *is* potentially intrusive talking about known injuries. I know nothing of Corrales’ case in particular, but if I were a promising young dancer facing a long lay-off or worse, I don’t think I’d want the general public talking about it, particularly with no facts to hand.

Although  the point discussed was that question mark (as to whether he will be able to dance Romeo), which happens to arise from a  current injury, rather than talking about  the injury itself.

But in any event, as public performers surely ballet dancers do have to expect a degree of  public interest and associated discussion, whether about performances, suitability, injury or whatever. I would imagine they are pretty hardened  to it by the time they reach this stage in their careers.  I am sure we all try  to avoid anything unreasonable or unfeeling  that would cause undue offence, but  I can't see anything said above  that would fall into that category. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

I don't think Magri is as leggy (to repeat terminology used above) as Stix-Brunell. And yes, my assumption would be that Campbell would be the obvious shoo-in as a partner for Hayward if Corrales can't do his performances.

I confess that that point did occur to me when booking for Hayward/Corrales! Though I do want to see Corrales in a major role too as I, like many others, was impressed by his Hungarian Officer. Perhaps there is more speculation about Corrales than others (though there's been a fair amount about Watson too) because he sadly got injured so soon that most of us haven't had the opportunity to see him in any major role with the RB yet.

• Like 1

Come on, folks. This is not a 'fan site' , is it? If it goes on like this, I, for one, will be driven away - as I know that other 'regulars' have been in the past, for similar reasons.

And why do we need to go on and on about the injuries? Let's wish the wonderful Cesar and William well and strong in their recoveries and leave it at that.

• Like 7

To be fair, I don't think the above discussion is making the forum seem like a fan site!  And injuries do engender lots of discussion a) because people are interested and worried if a dancer is injured;  b) because there are many possible scenarios as to what can happen when a dancer is injured regarding replacements, possible domino effect, etc.  I don't personally think there is anything wrong with speculating about who will dance with whom, who would go well together, and why.  I do think there is something wrong with people discussing injuries if details of same are not in the public domain, and as far as I can tell most people on here don't engage in such discussion.  

• Like 11