• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on it's only ballet. Why do they need to get names right? The Marketing Department "knows " that we only go to see performances by the corporate entity which is the Royal Ballet and that the ballet audience has no interest in individual dancers apart from those taking the most important named roles. It certainly does not extend the same respect to dancers as it gives to opera singers as was evident on Saturday afternoon when there was no information about who Mr Camargo is, his repertory or his home company. If it had been a singer taking over even a minor named role there would have been plenty of slips of paper available to give the audience biographical and career details of the replacement performer. This attitude to the ballet company is completely bizarre as, at present there is only one company of international standing resident in Bow Street , and it is not the opera company. In fact I find it difficult to think of an organisation which only possesses  a chorus, an orchestra, a handful of apprentice singers and limited number of essential support staff but has no comprimario or other established singers on its books as a real "opera company". The ROH is merely a receiving house which  retains the services of only those elements of a genuine company which it is not practical to hire on a need basis for each production it stages.

Of course, if you want to, you can explain away the fact that the name of an eminent British composer appeared in the cast list for a ballet performance by saying that Walton's name is almost certainly on the Opera House database. I agree it probably is because he composed the opera Troilus and Cressida and the  music for Façade and both works are on the performance database. But I am afraid I don't consider that an adequate explanation for such a howler. As Bridiem says you need to check your own work when you make changes to anything that is to be placed before the public to ensure that the information is accurate and that names are spelt correctly. This is a theatre that likes to boast it provides worldclass opera and ballet performance. But an organisation that makes such claims has to ensure that everything it does is of the highest quality including giving timely and accurate information about casting. The Marketing Department is the place at which the ROH organisation interacts with the public and its potential audience. Being slapdash about matters which relate to the ROH's core function which remains the provision of theatrical performances rather than acting as a purveyor of comestibles speaks volumes about  its attitude towards the ballet going public and the resident ballet company. There would  be all hell to pay if it made that sort of mistake about opera casting. Heads would roll as they would if comparable mistakes were made on the restaurant's menus. But as I said before it's only ballet and who cares about ballet ? 

Richard LH. In an earlier post you pointed out that Kevin had made special provision for McRae  and Sambe as if that established that Campbell should have had a partner selected for him so that he too could dance Romeo during this revival. In a section of an earlier post which I deleted  for fear of being accused of going on too long I said that I thought that one of the reasons why Campbell had not been cast as Romeo is that Kevin had already had to accommodate two short dancers in this revival of R and J. and might well not have wanted to make provision for a third when there were younger, taller men who were likely to be more useful to the company in the long run. Last year Campbell got the opportunity to dance several roles because other dancers were injured. It does not matter that it was not part of the initial plan for the season. Campbell got the performances. That is how ballet companies have always worked. But the fact that he was able to take over from other dancers  meant that the dancers who were injured did not get the chance to add roles to their repertory. Perhaps Sambe is being given Romeo in preference to Campbell because he was unable to dance Albrecht last season. It does even things up a bit. No company will want to put all its eggs in one basket when it comes to dancers learning new roles. So, sad though it may be, the fact is that a dancer who needs special provision made for him by being given a petite dancer he can partner is always going to be less useful to a company than one who can partner each and every female company member. I think that is why Hay is unlikely to enjoy the sort of career that the quality of his dancing would suggest should be open to him.

As far as Ball being Kevin's favourite is concerned a friend of mine was of that opinion  until he saw him take over from Hallberg mid-performance in Giselle at which point he conceded that that Ball was not simply a very good looking young man but a dancer of some promise, and if he had not already decided to do so, that was probably the point at which Kevin decided that Ball was ready for promotion at the end of the season. Ball does not have an ideal body for a dancer but he seems to have other perhaps more valuable assets including artistry and the burning need to dance. Perhaps we should remember that he is still in his early twenties. 

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, FLOSS said:

It certainly does not extend the same respect to dancers as it gives to opera singers as was evident on Saturday afternoon when there was no information about who Mr Camargo is, his repertory or his home company. If it had been a singer taking over even a minor named role there would have been plenty of slips of paper available to give the audience biographical and career details of the replacement performer.

They did WHAAAATTT???   Wasn't it even on the cast sheet?  If not, that is absolutely disgraceful, and if I were the AD of Dutch National I would be extremely annoyed.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, alison said:

They did WHAAAATTT???   Wasn't it even on the cast sheet?  If not, that is absolutely disgraceful, and if I were the AD of Dutch National I would be extremely annoyed.

In the first interval, I overheard a number of people asking the ushers who Camargo was. One said that he and his wife had been through the red programme three times to no avail. There was no indication on the cast sheet that he was a guest or a replacement. Fortunately, the ushers were able to provide the relevant information. 

Still, a guest artist debuting with the Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House would seem like an event that should be announced, rather than passing under the radar. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, alison said:

Oh dear.  The later performances are marked TBC, which I guess answers that question.  What a shame for Bracewell, who'd been doing so well :( 

I was thinking of booking for the final performance in the run (not because I want to see the piece much but because I want to see Bonelli live (I was supposed to see him in Nutcracker) & this is the only piece he appears to be cast in for the rest of the season). I may now wait until it's announced who will be replacing Bracewell for that one. I'd be pleased if it were Kish. Hirano seems unlikely, given he's doing the matinee that day. It seems odd to me that the RB appear not to have any other  dancer who has learnt the role for covering purposes. Or, given Bracewell was announced as injured over 2 weeks ago & Frankenstein doesn't open for another week, is it such a long & difficult role that no RB dancer could have learnt it in 3+ weeks?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bridiem said:

You shouldn't publish changes without checking your OWN work too. They're not updating a private database - it matters that what is entered is correct. Cross-checking by colleagues should only pick up (if anything) minor typos, or editorial queries. Not whopping great howlers.

I think perhaps the ROH website is using some kind of API that pulls data automatically from another system integrated with it - and that a lot of the problems we are seeing are perhaps because this integration is flawed. 

On 25/02/2019 at 12:43, FLOSS said:

Richard LH. In an earlier post you pointed out that Kevin had made special provision for McRae  and Sambe as if that established that Campbell should have had a partner selected for him so that he too could dance Romeo during this revival. In a section of an earlier post which I deleted  for fear of being accused of going on too long I said that I thought that one of the reasons why Campbell had not been cast as Romeo is that Kevin had already had to accommodate two short dancers in this revival of R and J. and might well not have wanted to make provision for a third when there were younger, taller men who were likely to be more useful to the company in the long run. Last year Campbell got the opportunity to dance several roles because other dancers were injured. It does not matter that it was not part of the initial plan for the season. Campbell got the performances. That is how ballet companies have always worked. But the fact that he was able to take over from other dancers  meant that the dancers who were injured did not get the chance to add roles to their repertory. Perhaps Sambe is being given Romeo in preference to Campbell because he was unable to dance Albrecht last season. It does even things up a bit. No company will want to put all its eggs in one basket when it comes to dancers learning new roles. So, sad though it may be, the fact is that a dancer who needs special provision made for him by being given a petite dancer he can partner is always going to be less useful to a company than one who can partner each and every female company member. I think that is why Hay is unlikely to enjoy the sort of career that the quality of his dancing would suggest should be open to him.

The idea that Kevin needs to make  “special provision”  for Campbell or others due  to  height  is your description, Floss, not mine.  I suggest the respective height of partners is just one of the many factors in determining role casting, along with technique, strength, stamina, partnering skills, acting ability,  age, experience, and indeed public popularity. Fairness and due respect for all the company members are also factors that cannot be excluded. Hence I disagreed  with your earlier generalised statement  that a fine dancer with a winning stage personality is never going to be as “useful” as a tall (male) dancer.  On that basis you could equally say a tall female dancer is never going to be as "useful" as a short one. 

What a dancer  has in terms of their natural body form  is only one consideration.   Indeed you suggest  this  yourself  when it comes to Ball, in describing him as not having an ideal body for a dancer but possessing  "other perhaps more valuable assets".

Consequently I  doubt that  height was really a satisfactory explanation for these  casting decisions, such that Kevin  could not accommodate  Campbell for even one Romeo performance. Other relatively short dancers  (Corrales, Sambe and McRae) were offered 7 slots between them (actually 8, as Sambe also dances in a Schools Matinee). There are  5 slots for "short" first soloists and none for the "short" principal Campbell.

Also height has not  prevented  Sambe being  paired in Don Q with Naghdi ( taller when on pointe), nor indeed Campbell being partnered with Naghdi  in Two Pigeons as well as  various roles with Choe, who I believe is similar in height to Naghdi, and with  Magri in Don Q (I am not sure of her height but she does not appear to be quite in the "petite" category).  Indeed  are there that many RB  ballerinas  that would have to  be ruled  out as a potential partners for Campbell due to height? 

Campbell was also left out of Manon as des Grieux  until McRae was injured, and  left out entirely as Siegfried in Swan Lake and as Solor in La B.  You  say  it  doesn’t matter if  he is not originally picked in such roles, because he picks up some when others are injured, but that is just leaving things to chance – I think there are many admirers of Campbell who would far prefer him to be respected as a first choice rather than a potential stand-in.

You also now suggest Campbell is not one of the  “younger” dancers who needs to be given opportunities as the company makes provision for the future. But at  33, and only a principal since 2016, he is by no means old, nor a dancer that has been dancing these roles over a very lengthy period at the RB. As you say, he is a fine dancer with a winning stage personality. If he is not going to be given these  opportunities  as a "first choice" principal now, then when?

• Like 10

This season, Campbell has had the leading role in Two Pigeons and Don Q (now 5 shows), he has Frankenstein coming up and would surely have  had The Nutcracker Prince had he not spent Christmas guesting in Australia. He is also an equal lead in Symphony in C and has had first cast and cinema shows in key supporting roles (as well as ending up with the cinema relay for Don Q).

I do think that his (and others') height is an issue vis a vis partnering and that we should note that there are other male Principals who are faring less well than him in terms of casting.

I understand that people want to support their favourites but I also wonder whether the amount of advocacy Campbell receives on here might be proving counter-productive.

[Incidentally, FLOSS, if Ball has not got the ideal ballet body, I don't know who has!!!!]

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, capybara said:

I understand that people want to support their favourites but I also wonder whether the amount of advocacy Campbell receives on here might be proving counter-productive.

You surely aren't suggesting that KOH is influenced in his casting decisions - either to cast or not to cast - by comments on this forum??! I'd like to think we had such influence - or would I? - but I think it highly unlikely.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

You surely aren't suggesting that KOH is influenced in his casting decisions - either to cast or not to cast - by comments on this forum??! I'd like to think we had such influence - or would I? - but I think it highly unlikely.

Doubtless this reflects my contrary nature, but I read it more that sometimes - and I speak as an admirer of Campbell - the praise of some dancers on this forum can be so relentless that it makes people like me start to question the consensus and find flaws (and no dancer is perfect in every role), rather than simply enjoy a dancer's strengths.

That said, I won't hear a word against Muntagirov :)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Doubtless this reflects my contrary nature, but I read it more that sometimes - and I speak as an admirer of Campbell - the praise of some dancers on this forum can be so relentless that it makes people like me start to question the consensus and find flaws (and no dancer is perfect in every role), rather than simply enjoy a dancer's strengths.

That said, I won't hear a word against Muntagirov :)

Oh, maybe that is what capybara meant. Though I'm still not sure why it would be 'counter-productive', since that implies an actual outcome. All we're doing on this forum is expressing opinions, and in respect of assessments of dancers I doubt if anyone posts with the aim of persuading anyone else. (And in respect of Campbell in particular, the views expressed here are not in fact always wholly positive. There are other dancers who get more consistent praise; I think with Campbell there is a sense amongst some of us of injustice in respect of casting decisions, which isn't necessarily a concern in respect of other dancers.)

And no, I won't hear a word against Muntagirov either!! :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, capybara said:

I do think that his (and others') height is an issue vis a vis partnering and that we should note that there are other male Principals who are faring less well than him in terms of casting

Well if there are such principals (I would be interested to know who you have in mind capybara) I don't think it will be due to lack of height, indeed thinking of the other principals, the idea that the taller ones are regarded as innately "useful" simply, or mainly, because of their height over and above any other factor, does not seem to wash. That is my point really - not that height has no relevance at all, but there are many other considerations as well.

17 hours ago, capybara said:

This season, Campbell has had the leading role in Two Pigeons and Don Q (now 5 shows), he has Frankenstein coming up and would surely have  had The Nutcracker Prince had he not spent Christmas guesting in Australia. He is also an equal lead in Symphony in C and has had first cast and cinema shows in key supporting roles (as well as ending up with the cinema relay for Don Q).

But apart from Basilio in Don Q (for which 3 of the 5 slots were only given to him as a stand-in for McRae) the roles he has been/is to be dancing at the RB  are not really comparable to being  the major male lead in full length productions such as Manon, Swan Lake, Mayerling, La Bayadere, or Romeo and Juliet - none of which AC has been  given as a first choice (his des Grieux being another stand-in for McRae).  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jam Dancer said:

What’s the point again?

Discussing whether Alexander Campbell is getting fewer main roles than he should. FLOSS raised the topic again on Monday in response to a point I made some time back.

Edited by Richard LH

2 hours ago, capybara said:

...................a subject on which views vary and which has, in my view, run its course. 

I was finding it very interesting & would be happy if the discussions were to continue. However I'm aware that I'm quite happy to continue discussing things long after everyone else is bored rigid!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I've received an email saying that due to injury, William Bracewell is replaced by Ryoichi Hirano on Mon 13th May 7.30pm and Sat 25th May 1.30pm.

Just had the same message - its a shame as I booked that performance to see him. Oh well!

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

I've received an email saying that due to injury, William Bracewell is replaced by Ryoichi Hirano on Mon 13th May 7.30pm and Sat 25th May 1.30pm.

Oh dear, as Bracewell has been ruled out already in terms of R&J as far ahead as 25 May,  he must be very much in doubt as well for A Month in the Country, with Nunez, on  04 June, although as it stands he remains listed for that.

56 minutes ago, RuthE said:

No news on Corrales's fitness for Romeo yet...

At least he remains listed, so hopefully no news = good news.....