Having skimmed through this thread I can see no comments concerning the Nunez/Clarke partnership in R&J. I can understand that giving Reece a steady hand for his first runs makes sense and Marianela is just the dancer for that, but would have loved to see her partnered by Vadim once more.

I know a few people who had rather hoped that Bolle might have made a guest appearance as Romeo this year, with his career winding down I believe.

And to throw my fourpennyworth in, I can imagine Campbell making an excellent job of Romeo. He brings alive all the roles I've seem him dance.

• Like 2

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really love the partnership from Nunez and Muntagirov to death and could watch them all the day but I think it also nice to see sometimes a different partnership. I will maybe see Clarke/Nunez and think this could be very interesting...Just wished there were more different Romeos to the Juliets.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

I think it's good that Marianela is being paired with someone other than Vadim as they always seem to be together! I would LOVE to see Vadim with one of the younger female principals.

I've always wanted to see Vadim with Naghdi. They are both such musical, lyrical classical dancers I would have thought together they'd be amazing. However, I've always been curious to see Vadim with Osipova also and at least I'm getting that next week. Perhaps the other casting may happen next season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Pìobaireachd

I had to google that - excellent suggestion. Maybe the most hardcore Campbellites could hire a piper to play a suitable Pìobaireachd (am I getting this right?) at the first night of any ballet where he's not cast in the main role ;)

• Like 4

On 04/11/2018 at 15:00, Coated said:

I had to google that - excellent suggestion. Maybe the most hardcore Campbellites could hire a piper to play a suitable Pìobaireachd (am I getting this right?) at the first night of any ballet where he's not cast in the main role 

Thank you!

Pìobaireachd in the Gaelic literally means "piping", but in general is used to denote classical piping - salutes, gatherings and laments - called Cèol Mòr, or great music, while the pipe tunes with which more people are familiar (marches, reels, jigs etc) are called Cèol Beag, or little music. Flowers of the Forest is Cèol Mòr and Scotland the Brave is Cèol Beag.

Okay back to topic now...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

On Wednesday I booked for the Spring season. My booking list for the mixed bill was compiled from the casting listed on the ROH website before my priority booking opened.

After booking my tickets, I decided to double check them and discovered that the casting which was now on the website was different to my original list.  Assuming I’d made a mistake when I copied the casting, I booked a couple of extra tickets so as to make sure I had tickets for the casts I wanted.

I have since discovered that the casting when I am not logged in corresponds to my original list.  However, when I am logged in, the casting is completely different.  I now have no idea which is correct!

57 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

On Wednesday I booked for the Spring season. My booking list for the mixed bill was compiled from the casting listed on the ROH website before my priority booking opened.

After booking my tickets, I decided to double check them and discovered that the casting which was now on the website was different to my original list.  Assuming I’d made a mistake when I copied the casting, I booked a couple of extra tickets so as to make sure I had tickets for the casts I wanted.

I have since discovered that the casting when I am not logged in corresponds to my original list.  However, when I am logged in, the casting is completely different.  I now have no idea which is correct!

This is a ridiculous situation.  It’s as if the Mad Hatter is running the website!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sim said:

This is a ridiculous situation.  It’s as if the Mad Hatter is running the website!

It's worse than that: it's unprofessional, discourteous and arrogant of the ROH to allow this situation to continue.

Bluebird, when you finally work out which are the correct dates, they'd better not charge a fee for exchanging or returning the ones you don't want!

• Like 7

I quite agree - very disconcerting.  I tend to think that when logged in the information looks more understandable (matinee 18 May) .  When not logged in there's such a mass of repetitions.  Here's a small extract:

Within the Golden Hour. Yuhui Choe

Principal. Yuhui Choe

Principal. Kristen McNally

Within the Golden Hour. Francesca Hayward

Principal. Francesca Hayward

Principal. Marcelino Sambé

I'm pretty sure McNally/Sambé are not in Within the Golden Hour.

When logged in for Within the Golden Hour the six dancers are sensibly listed:

Principals

Yuhui Choe

Francesca Hayward

Akane Takada

Alexander Campbell

Valentino Zucchetti

Tristan Dyer

But this is pretty hopeless and has been a problem for weeks.

Edited by JohnS
Typos

18 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

It's worse than that: it's unprofessional, discourteous and arrogant of the ROH to allow this situation to continue.

Bluebird, when you finally work out which are the correct dates, they'd better not charge a fee for exchanging or returning the ones you don't want!

Maybe a reader of this forum might be able to use my spare tickets?  I definitely have two spare SCS for the matinée on May 18.   SCS D43 and D44 £6 each.  I have intermittent internet access at the moment but, if anyone would like either or both of these, do please PM me.  I'll eventually post them on the ticket exchange forum when I'm next on line.

Edited by Bluebird

I think that those of us who are affected in our purchases by this website  mess should write to the ROH (perhaps Chris Shipman?). It does seem as if the person who is responsible for posting the casting doesn't understand how best to display the names for a triple bill - i.e. ballet A cast/ballet B cast - with names repeated if they are also in ballet A/ballet C cast - again with names repeated if they are in ballet A and/or B. This format will then transfer easily if there are separate pages for each ballet.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that those of us who are affected in our purchases by this website  mess should write to the ROH (perhaps Chris Shipman?). It does seem as if the person who is responsible for posting the casting doesn't understand how best to display the names for a triple bill - i.e. ballet A cast/ballet B cast - with names repeated if they are also in ballet A/ballet C cast - again with names repeated if they are in ballet A and/or B. This format will then transfer easily if there are separate pages for each ballet.

Yes, it's quite a simple principle really... I think they've got some sort of program set up that overrides common sense and needs to be rewritten.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Maybe a reader of this forum might be able to use my spare tickets?  I definitely have two spare SCS for the matinée on May 18.   SCS D43 and D44 £6 each.  I have intermittent internet access at the moment but, if anyone would like either or both of these, do please PM me.  I'll eventually post them on the ticket exchange forum when I'm next on line.

I have PM you about d43 please

Hope Sydney good

I have written (twice) to the ROH about how difficult (if not downright impossible) it is to work out triple bill casts on the ROH website.

I have just received the following reply...

"Apologies for the difficulties you are experienced with our website, and for the delay in our sending you a response.

We have been working to resolve the problem and now have a fully tested solution. We will publish an update to the live website when we next have an opportunity to release the code and should be displaying error-free casting on our mixed programmes next week.

Best wishes

Ellen"

Watch this space...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mummykool said:

We have been working to resolve the problem and now have a fully tested solution. We will publish an update to the live website when we next have an opportunity to release the code 

If they have a 'fully tested solution', why can they not apply it now, I wonder? And what does having 'an opportunity to release the code' mean to those not involved in website development? Very poor practice to use such jargon in general communications. 

But thanks for the info, Mummykool. Let's hope it is ok next week (or earlier).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bridiem said:

If they have a 'fully tested solution', why can they not apply it now, I wonder? And what does having 'an opportunity to release the code' mean to those not involved in website development? Very poor practice to use such jargon in general communications. 

Typically, any new development work will go through several stages of testing to try to eliminate any unforeseen problems with it, including being put on what's called a staging environment, which mimics as far as possible the "live" (real) website to make sure it doesn't do something drastic like make the whole thing go down; only when these hurdles have been cleared is it "released" so that it's on the public website. Very often there are specific windows (sometimes only once a month) when this last can happen, as it can be a little like performing surgery: there are protocols involved and you need to have the right people on hand if things go wrong to make fixes or if necessary "roll back" to the last version.

I know it sounds long winded, but many serious problems are averted by following this procedure; though it does make me wonder if they're following it how on earth some of the rubbish we've seen already on the new website slipped the net.  Increasingly there's a move to being a lot more flexible about all this, but you need the right systems and people to do that successfully; all the evidence points to the ROH not being in that position.

I agree that talk of "releasing the code" isn't very helpful!

p.s. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think what I've said is broadly correct and reflects standard practice.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but it's sort of related to spring casting. Does anyone know why multiple performances of Romeo & Juliet are listed as having filming? Usually for cinecast productions there seems to be 2 performances filmed, both with the same cast. Here https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/romeo-and-juliet-by-kenneth-macmillan no fewer than 6 performances are listed as having filming, covering 5 different leading couples with Ball & Naghdi only being filmed once.

Beats me.  Unless it's the long-promised view-on-demand programme that Tony Hall promised? 

But while I was there, I had a look at the horrendous prices.  How weird, I thought, as I looked at the bottom 3 price ranges: amphi H43 and H72 have been left out.  No they haven't: they are £28!!!!  Is anybody in their right mind knowingly going to pay that much for a seat where you have less than a 50% view of the stage?!

41 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

As far as I know those extra filmings are back-ups, in case something goes wrong during the Naghdi/Ball Live Cinema relay performance on 11th June. 

I don't see how it would help to have performances already filmed with different casts though. I think the audiences just might notice if it was suddenly a different Romeo & Juliet being shown, especially with the cinema close-ups.

• Like 1

They are a combination of backups, director's/camera operators' rehearsal, and, in the case of future DVD releases, alternative footage to cover for things going haywire.  The livestream-to-DVD releases are actually livestream-intercut-with-the-other-filming-to-DVD releases.  

38 minutes ago, Mimi said:

They are a combination of backups, director's/camera operators' rehearsal, and, in the case of future DVD releases, alternative footage to cover for things going haywire.  The livestream-to-DVD releases are actually livestream-intercut-with-the-other-filming-to-DVD releases.  

But, as Dawnstar says, when they do this it's always been with the same cast as for the "main" performance itself. Like her, I can't remember a time when other casts' performances have also been marked as being filmed. (Sad of us to notice, I guess!)

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I don't see how it would help to have performances already filmed with different casts though. I think the audiences just might notice if it was suddenly a different Romeo & Juliet being shown, especially with the cinema close-ups.

Not cinema but I was at a BRB performance of Romeo and Juliet where Monica Zamora was dancing Juliet.  She was injured in the ballroom scene and was replaced by Sandra Madgwick from he balcony scene onwards.  There was no lost of continuity.  Many of the audience did not seem to notice that a statuesque dark-haired Juliet had been replaced by a petite blonde one!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Not cinema but I was at a BRB performance of Romeo and Juliet where Monica Zamora was dancing Juliet.  She was injured in the ballroom scene and was replaced by Sandra Madgwick from he balcony scene onwards.  There was no lost of continuity.  Many of the audience did not seem to notice that a statuesque dark-haired Juliet had been replaced by a petite blonde one!

I remember that performance. It was supposed to have been Miyako Yoshida dancing originally! 

14 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Even in a theatre the size of the Birmingham Hippodrome (assuming you were seeing BRB there) you'd think that would be noticeable! Veering off topic, I remember Sandra Madgwick as Clara in BRB's Nutcracker when it was televised in about 1994. 

• Like 1