• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also disappointed no James Hay as Romeo as he's a senior soloist now but Clarke is cast and he's still only a soloist. I'm not complaining about Clarke as he's a great dancer too but it seems strange he wasn't promoted to first soloist as he's had such major roles lately and is obviously still continuing to get them. Would also prefer to see Coralles as Frankenstein. Anyway looking forward to Romeo and J though somehow it's never been a favourite ballet I don't know why as I love full length dramatic ballets. June 1st with Naghdi/Ball and Osipova/Hallberg looks great as does O'Sullivan/Sambe especially as it's a matinee. Star attraction seems to be Hayward/Corrales but there are just so many to choose from. However, the seat prices seem to be following the Evidenced Based marketing theme with only 10 side stalls circle seats priced at £40 and another 10 at £58. Top prices £130!! Not very good to people like me on a small pension and with transport and accommodation to find on top of seat prices.  I have written to Alex Beard about the whole Evidenced based marketing fiasco and the dire state of the ROH website so I'll have to see what he says.

Incidentally if anyone finds out about the Winter Dreams triple casting before public booking on the 31st I would be very grateful as I want to book for Dec 20th evening if the original casting still stands but casting has been withdrawn.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

I have written to Alex Beard about the whole Evidenced based marketing fiasco and the dire state of the ROH website so I'll have to see what he says.

Maybe, jmhopton, if you get a substantive reply you might share the gist with the rest of us? I for one would be very interested. 

11 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Clarke is cast and he's still only a soloist

Yes it is strange a soloist gets 5 lead outings whilst the principal Campbell gets none. I suppose he could be down as potential super-sub again but waiting for an injury is rather a sad way to get into this role at the RB. And as Jan says, it's not as if he didn't have experience as Romeo at BRB.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Incidentally if anyone finds out about the Winter Dreams triple casting before public booking on the 31st I would be very grateful as I want to book for Dec 20th evening if the original casting still stands but casting has been withdrawn.

It’s still on the ROH website

Here https://www.roh.org.uk/events/w3jdd

and also here:

https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/winter-dreams-by-kenneth-macmillan

Edited to add that I was signed in when I posted the above links.  I just signed out and checked them again and found that the casting only shows up in the first link I gave.  Although the second link shows the casting when I'm signed in, it comes up comes up as TBC when I''m signed out!!!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

There are some nice castings however I am also disappointed with a few choices. Well, at least I can get save some money! So sad that Campbell didn´t get a chance as Romeo, it was the first time I saw him at BRB and it would have been lovely to see him again. Naghdi/Ball I will see at the cinema, but will probably book Stix - Brunell/Bracewell and O`Sullivan/Sambe - quite happy for all of them! Nunez/Clarke could also be interesting.... Had some hope for Takada/Ella too, but like I said, will save me money. Also thought about to give Hallberg a chance if I like him more with Osipova but I am already occupied on their dates, so easy decision.

It will be interesting to see who is getting cast as Mercutio.

About Frankenstein: thought for a moment about booking for Frankenstein because of Bonelli/Morera...but no. I need stronger arguments  for this (and I am afraid there aren´t any really).

Glad that McNally/Sambe are dancing again their roles in Flight Pattern. Hopefully this goes for most of the rest of the cast too! Will probably see both cast from Within the Golden Hour. Also interesting to see that Osipova is already cast for the new Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui but no second cast. Do we already know more about this piece?

So much how Corrales is featured I already predict him promoted to Principal at the end of the season. Or maybe even earlier. Well...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Anna C said:

I didn’t get to see Ball with Cuthbertson in Marguerite & Armand but if I remember rightly, weren’t they rather good together? If so, their R&J could be something special. 

I thought their chemistry in Marguerite & Armand was fabulous. I hadn’t really expected their pairing to be so emotional (in fact I hadn’t given it a thought and had only gone because I was at a loose end) but I was blown away and so were the people sitting nearby. I’m definitely going to try to catch them in R&J. I’ve been very impressed with Corrales in Mayerling, so I hope to see him and Hayward as well. 

I am rather taken with both casts for Within the Golden Hour. I do love that ballet! 

• Like 1

Well, well, well! I think I know now where I'll be spending a chunk of May 2019, although yes, gutted no Campbell as Romeo. And after umpty performances of Graeme Murphy's Romeo and Juliet as it was titled, with its... interesting... costume and set choices, boy oh boy will I be happy to see this! Okay yes I got to see Elisa Badenes and David Moore in the Cranko version in Stuttgart last year, but this looks like luxury casting in a luxury ballet. Bring it on.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sim said:

Am particularly excited to see Naghdi/Ball, Hallberg/Osipova, O'Sullivan/Sambe, Hayward/Corrales and Stix-Brunell/Bracewell.  Very disappointed that it's not Akane and Ben Ella.  They were soooo gorgeous together in Giselle.  I just don't get it.  And yes, Campbell should be given a chance at Romeo.  Very disappointed also not to be seeing the Cuthbertson/Bonelli pairing again. 

I won't be seeing Frankenstein, so I can spend the money on seeing so many different permutations of this ballet!!  :)

Indeed, very excited at all the new casts - start saving now.  Agree, R&J will take precedence over Frankenstein!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

P!ease, please let's have Campbell as Mercutio!. After his superb Lescaut it would be well worth seeing.

If Campbell isn´t cast as Mercutio after he got overlooked as Romeo then I do...Okay, I have no idea what I do then but I would be very frustrated and even more disappointed as I already am. Let´s hope that we will know in advance in which cast he will be dancing if he is getting cast as Mercutio.

And now I will think about who I also want to see as Mercutio...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

The 1st Naghdi/Ball show is a School's Matinee (not listed), plus 1st and 11th June, so yes/no....3 shows but only 2 shows are public.

Guess that School's Matinee will be their warm-up performance before they start filming them.

Sorry  I had forgotten there were two Schools Matinees (28 March and 23 May) - but I can't find any cast details yet. Are they published somewhere?

1 minute ago, Richard LH said:

Bluebird, presumably you got a link to this document from the ROH in an email? I just ask because I have previously received such emails, but not this time.

No, I didn't get an email.  Since the letter accompanying the ROH Magazine for the Spring Season hadn't mentioned any ticket limits for the Netrebko/Kaufmann performances, I decided to check my account page to see if there was any mention of a ticket limit there.  On opening the page, I was amazed to find a link to the Spring casting.  I was especially surprised as, the last time I'd looked, the link provided was to the Autumn casting - i.e. as far as I'm aware, there had never been a link to the Winter casting

• Like 1

Campbell's casting since he was promoted to principal has really been more like that of a promising soloist/first soloist, whereas the other promotees have been cast as full principals. Which leads me to wonder why he was promoted at all.

(And now I will zip my lip about this.)

• Like 8

1 minute ago, bridiem said:

Campbell's casting since he was promoted to principal has really been more like that of a promising soloist/first soloist, whereas the other promotees have been cast as full principals. Which leads me to wonder why he was promoted at all.

(And now I will zip my lip about this.)

Yes,   I was thinking he seems to be seen as a "Principal - Grade B".

8 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

P!ease, please let's have Campbell as Mercutio!. After his superb Lescaut it would be well worth seeing.

It will be a travesty if he is not cast as Mercutio; he has done the role before.  Having seen him in this role (as well as Romeo) a BRB I can quite honestly say that he is brilliant.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

No, I didn't get an email.  Since the letter accompanying the ROH Magazine for the Spring Season hadn't mentioned any ticket limits for the Netrebko/Kaufmann performances, I decided to check my account page to see if there was any mention of a ticket limit there.  On opening the page, I was amazed to find a link to the Spring casting.  I was especially surprised as, the last time I'd looked, the link provided was to the Autumn casting - i.e. as far as I'm aware, there had never been a link to the Winter casting

Thanks Bluebird - well spotted !  I now see this on my own account page. Also a link to a digital version of the Spring Magazine.

Yes, I can see it on my account page. But I wasn't aware that such information ever appeared there - are we supposed to be logging in to our accounts all the time just to check?! In the past I have received an email with a link.

3 hours ago, Esmeralda said:

If Campbell isn´t cast as Mercutio after he got overlooked as Romeo then I do...Okay, I have no idea what I do then but I would be very frustrated and even more disappointed as I already am. Let´s hope that we will know in advance in which cast he will be dancing if he is getting cast as Mercutio.

And now I will think about who I also want to see as Mercutio...

Definitely James Hay, also a splendid Lescaut.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

I haven't received this either, usually get it, as a low level Friend.

Nor I, but I think it’s usually up for a few days before they email it round.

What might have made it more noticeable this time is that usually (I think!) casting is up on the website before the pdf sheet is available.

8 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Does anyone know why there’s a 12 noon Romeo and Juliet listed on the production page for 7 June, when it’s not listed on the pdf? It’s not showing as unavailable to the general public as 28 March and 23 May (matinee) are.

Looks like a mix up with switched dates for this matinee, as the production  page, and the calendar, has no matinee showing for Saturday 01 June, as listed on the pdf, only the evening performance. We will have to wait to see which is correct. 

3 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Looks like a mix up with switched dates for this matinee, as the production  page, and the calendar, has no matinee showing for Saturday 01 June, as listed on the pdf, only the evening performance. We will have to wait to see which is correct. 

That’s strange. I have always had both dates in my spreadsheet, I’m fairly certain. (I won’t go into the boring mechanics of why I don’t think this is my memory playing tricks.)

I called the Box Office and they kept me waiting a long time while they double checked.  The answer they came back with is that the website is correct, i.e. there is a Romeo and Juliet performance on the evening of June 1 but no matinée that day.  They added that there is a matinée June 7. 

Is it possible that the Royal Ballet have changed the dates and times of their performances without informing the Box Office?  This seems unlikely but who knows?

I've informed the Friends' office of this discrepancy and they say they'll look into it. 

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Does that mean the casting for 7 June mat is as for 1 June mat, do you think?

Unlikely as the website indicates that the June 1 evening performance is being filmed.   The two performances that are filmed would normally have the same cast.  I'm only speculating but I would have thought it more likely that, if the dates and times on the pdf are, indeed, inaccurate,  the Naghdi/Ball cast would be the evening of June 1 and the Osipova/Hallberg would be the matinée on June 7. 

NB That is pure speculation and has no basis in fact!

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

and the Osipova/Hallberg would be the matinée on June 7. 

It seems highly unlikely to me that Osipova/Hallberg would be dancing in a non-Bank Holiday Friday matinee.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1