Best Ballet Pumps

aisha

Hello.

Looking for advice on ballet pumps. Having done some reviews and a make called Bloch keeps showing up. Not sure whether to go with them or try a couple of dance shops. Having done ballet for about 8 weeks now I want to keep going to learn more so my gran has offered to get me new dance wear for Xmas😀. 

My DD loves the Bloch canvas flats with criss cross elastic. They don't have a draw-string tie so they lie flat across the front of the foot.

We bought 2 pairs at their flagship store in Covent Garden only to find out they were cheaper to buy online from other reputable dancewear providers. Mildly frustrating. 

Ballet shoes don’t fit like normal shoes though, so definitely go to the shop near to you rather than pick one online.  (I’d pick the shop that has the best range of brands of ballet shoes so you have a good choice).   Bloch are lovely shoes but won’t be the best shoe for everyone, and even within one brand like Bloch there are lots of different named shoes which all fit differently.  Enjoy the experience of going and trying on lots of shoes. They’ll ask if you want canvas, satin or leather ballet shoes and you’ll also need to know whether you want full sole or split sole shoes, so ask your teacher what her preference is before you go as that will narrow the choice down for you too x 

• Like 3

Oh my goodness😦, I never realised there was so much choices and all the different materials they are made of. 

Will go to the shop myself and try and get a good idea and then go with my gran nearer Xmas. 

Also is it best to wear socks with ballet pumps as some of my class do and some dont  Just that if i am trying any on in the shop then the thickness of the sock may have a bearing 

TBH Aisha, I have bought ballet shoes for my children for as little as ÂŁ6/7 and they have been fine in the first instance. PM me if you want online links, or if you'd like me to send you several pairs of second-hand barely-or-even-never-worn ballet shoes (it can be hit-and-miss when your kids are growing!). Perhaps your Gran could buy you a leotard for Christmas instead ..... ?

8 hours ago, aisha said:

Oh my goodness😦, I never realised there was so much choices and all the different materials they are made of. 

Will go to the shop myself and try and get a good idea and then go with my gran nearer Xmas. 

Also is it best to wear socks with ballet pumps as some of my class do and some dont  Just that if i am trying any on in the shop then the thickness of the sock may have a bearing 

If you get canvas ballet shoes they can be washed on a low temperature wash (30 degrees) so if you don’t want to wear socks with them, you don’t have to.  

I second the advice to go to a good ballet shop and try them on though - once you know exactly what make, model and size you like, then you can buy online but really not for your first few pairs. ☺️

• Like 3

9 hours ago, glissade said:

TBH Aisha, I have bought ballet shoes for my children for as little as ÂŁ6/7 and they have been fine in the first instance. PM me if you want online links, or if you'd like me to send you several pairs of second-hand barely-or-even-never-worn ballet shoes (it can be hit-and-miss when your kids are growing!). Perhaps your Gran could buy you a leotard for Christmas instead ..... ?

Thanks. I am going to look this weekend as my gran has kindly offered to get pumps and some dance wear for xmas,  but will keep in mind.

I got to try some pumps out from some girls at my class as we were early for class. I must admit that it did feel strange as i have always went barefooted so far and must admit did feel better in barefeet once class started. I had the wrongs ones for sure as the ones i tried were so light

It’s not surprising that you’re now used to going barefoot, but you will need to get used to ballet shoes.  When it comes to “brushing” the floor - for instance when doing a tendu - your bare foot may be sweaty or sticky and you’ll find it harder to perform the step. Pirouettes are the same; you need the suede sole of the ballet shoe in order to turn. 

• Like 1