THE LONDON BALLET CIRCLE: NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder about this upcoming LBC event which will celebrate the publication of Leanne Benjamin's book, Built for Ballet, and the illustrious career of Edward Watson, a matter of hours after his last performance.

This "In Conversation" at The Royal Ballet School, at 7.30pm Tuesday 2nd November is FREE TO LBC MEMBERS and they, and non members wishing to attend, should book online. Please go to https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/in-conversation-with-leanne-benjamin-and-edward-watson ]

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sir David Bintley will be "In Conversation" with the dance writer Amanda Jennings at 7.00pm on Tuesday, 30th November via Zoom.

LBC Members go free {to join, please go to https://www.tlbc.org.uk). Non members may book onlinehttps://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/sir-david-bintley-in-conversation at a cost of £5. The link will be sent out a few days ahead of the event.

Do join us for what promises to be an really interesting evening with the choreographer and former Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

LBC UPDATE:

Patricia Ward Kelly, widow of the legendary Gene Kelly will be "In Conversation" with the dance writer Graham Watts on Wednesday 15 December 2021 … at 8pm … via Zoom.  

Patricia will be talking about her collaboration with Scottish Ballet on Starstruck and also her life with Gene.  

Free to LBC Members (to join, please go to https://www.tlbc.org.uk)

Non-members may book online

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/patricia-kelly-in-conversation-with-graham-watts at a cost of £5.
The zoom link will be sent out a few days ahead of the event.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our next zoom “In Conversation” event will be at 7pm on 12 January 2022 with Friedemann Vogel, principal dancer at Stuttgart Ballet, and recently announced member of the jury for the 2022 Prix de Lausanne.

Our AGM follows on the 25 January 2022 at 7.30pm and includes an RBS rehearsal, conversation with former winners of the LBC’s Dame Ninette de Valois Awards, drinks and light refreshments.  

Booking details can be found under EVENTS on our website https://www.tlbc.org.uk

Edited by LBC
Formatting
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I’ve just booked for my very first LBC event on Jan 25th!! 
The only thing is I’m not sure where it is being held!! 
There is an RBS rehearsal so not sure if at RBS in Covent Garden or their usual venue. 

It’s at The Royal Ballet School, @LinMM. 
When I booked, I received an email confirming this.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just texted a friend who is a member and she is going as well and told me at RBS but she booked before today apparently. 
Thanks for replying so quickly though. 
Im a bit worried we will be back in some form of lockdown then but sincerely hope not. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this up as our next “In conversation” event is fast approaching …

Wednesday 12 January 2022 - 7pm UK - Zoom

Friedemann Vogel

Principal of Stuttgart Ballet, guest artist with ENB amongst many others, and also recently announced as a member of the jury for the 2022 Prix De Lausanne.  Interviewer will be dance writer Gerald Dowler

Tuesday 25 January 2022 - 7.30pm UK

The London Ballet Circle’s AGM.  This will be followed by a conversation with prior LBC award winners, Daichi Ikarashi and Ginevra Zambon.  Interviewer will be RBS artistic director Christopher Powney

Monday 7 February 2022 - 7pm UK - Zoom

Shale Wagman and Antonio Casalinho

Both these young dancers are Bayerisches Staatsballett soloists and recent winners of the Prix de Lausanne.  In conversation with dance writer Amanda Jennings

FYI

Zoom talks are free to LBC members

Non-members can join Zoom talks for £5 (go to ‘Events’)

Annual membership is £20 (go to ‘Join’) 

Donations help to cover costs and contribute to bursaries (go to ‘Donate’)

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, alison said:

What a shame that Friedemann Vogel clashes with a Royal Ballet performance, though :(

Yes it is - but the LBC relates to over two dozen ballet organisations in the UK so it is incredibly difficult to avoid clashes, especially when guests need to be afforded a choice of date.

That is one of the reasons why LBC Members are able to access video recordings of the conversations on the website at some point after the event.

• Like 8

Really disappointing to receive info that the in person AGM plus Christopher Powney interview with Daichi Ikarashi and Ginevra Gambon has now been moved to zoom. 
I cant do zoom at the moment except on my phone so not really very enticing and was looking forward to first meeting since I joined last April!! 

@LinMM As I’m sure you realise, the decision was not taken lightly.  As the infection situation worsened, it became clear that the AGM part of  event would likely not be quorate, which would have wasted everyone’s time.  If the event had been an “in conversation” only one, then I’m sure we would have continued irrespective of lower numbers attending.  

The trustees responsible have had multiple discussions with the Charities Commission over the holiday period(!) about how to handle this.  It’s not been straightforward to arrange.  A blanket exemption was given for the AGM to be online last year, as the country was in lockdown.  This has not been extended to 2022.

I personally am hopeful that in-person events from LBC will start back around March/April … so hang in there! 

• Like 2

Fiona ....yes realise this decision has not been taken lightly and for people’s safety etc but still doesn’t take away my disappointment as was really looking forward to attending my first meeting. 
It’s just been a rather unfortunate year but hope to get to a meeting soon 

Linda 

10 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Fiona ....yes realise this decision has not been taken lightly and for people’s safety etc but still doesn’t take away my disappointment as was really looking forward to attending my first meeting. 
It’s just been a rather unfortunate year but hope to get to a meeting soon 

Linda 

I've never been able to go to a live LBC event because of the timings but joined because of the zoom events and, I'm sorry Linda, but I am pleased that the AGM is going to be on zoom because I will be able to attend.

• Like 2

When things are back to normal could they not do live and Zoom? Or is that too complicated for the set up? 
I haven’t been able to do anything on Zoom for at least three months now not that I’m that over keen to be back on zoom anyway!! 

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

When things are back to normal could they not do live and Zoom? Or is that too complicated for the set up? 
I haven’t been able to do anything on Zoom for at least three months now not that I’m that over keen to be back on zoom anyway!! 

As many who've been working during the pandemic will have discovered, the combination of live and Zoom is a match made in hell. Some companies are even banning it, it's so unsatisfactory.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I understand the intention is to go back to live events with several zoom events a year for those of us who cannot make the live events.  

I personally think that if the much wider membership remains (I know a number of people who joined during the pandemic because of the zoom events) then there is a case for leaving the AGM on zoom.

I agree with Lizbie re mixed media meetings.  At one of my regular zooms a husband and wife attend together and it just doesn't work (to the extent that if they can both attend they do so on different devices in different rooms).

• Like 1

Some of the ballet classes I take part in are managing both very successfully. Though I realise it’s not for everybody .....just as some teachers really hated teaching on Zoom and others took to it really well. 
One of the classes I attend in the studio in person in London but it’s now also zoomed at the same time to those who can’t get there and the other class is in person for people living in Oxford but I ( and others) attend it on zoom at the same time.   That teacher has it down to a fine art now!! 
Having said that I haven’t been to either class recently because of my ongoing stress injury and also  I can’t use my IPad any more until I get a new one!!! 
As I only know two other people who belong to LBC and haven’t yet attended any meetings probably this years AGM will not be so important for me but was looking forward to the Christopher Powney interviews and meeting a few other members over wine and nibbles etc!! 

I think it’s the sort of thing that can work well for something like a ballet class but for other types of teaching or in an interview situation, it is very hard to manage and usually leaves the Zoom attendees dissatisfied. I speak from experience having spent a lot of time this last year or two having to teach via “hybrid” sessions….. unless you have a room that is set up for that exact situation (meaning strategically placed cameras and microphones), it really doesn’t work well!

• Like 3

I agree that if the classes were really large as you get at Pineapple or Danceworks with sometimes over 20 attendees then it could get rather problematic!!  It can work for smaller groups though eg: maybe six in the studio six on zoom or eight in studio five  on zoom or similar combinations. If the numbers get too large then it’s impossible to give reasonable attention to the whole group at least not equally in every exercise etc. I imagine then the zoom pupils would miss out more. 
The teacher in Oxford somehow manages to have the camera above and behind the studio attendees so that you experience the class with the teacher only mainly in view. You hardly see the other class attendees unless they are moving forward down the room so they then get ahead of the camera so to speak. It also must make it easier for her to see the zoomies as they are directly in front as the people in actual studio are. It just may not be possible to set up like this in every studio location of course but where it is possible and it can work it does give the teacher improved income!! 
I also attend one hybrid yoga class like this because the numbers are still pretty restricted in the studio itself so does allow others to join in and we’ve got used to the teacher turning to the screen to advise somebody on zoom though those in studio get benefit of hands on of course. 
Again the total group doesn’t usually come to more than about 12 so it works. 
My other yoga teacher can’t stand zoom!! 
So runs two smaller classes now rather than one larger one for spacing etc 

• 2 weeks later...

A reminder to all members that the The London Ballet Circle’s AGM is at 7.30pm on Tuesday 25 January 2022.  

The event is on Zoom this year and will begin with a conversation between RBS artistic director Chris Powney and two young RB dancers Daichi Ikarashi and Ginevra Zambon, who are both prior winners of the LBC Dame Ninette awards. 

This section will conclude with Q&A from the online audience.  Non-members will then leave the Zoom and the AGM will commence.  More info and the AGM documents can be found in the Members only section of our website.

Non-members are welcome to attend the conversation part of the AGM and can book for this at the 'Events' page on our website.

https://www.tlbc.org.uk

Zoom talks are free to LBC members, £5 to non-members (go to ‘Events’)

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2022 at 23:38, LBC said:

Bumping this up as our next “In conversation” event is fast approaching …

Monday 7 February 2022 - 7pm UK - Zoom

Shale Wagman and Antonio Casalinho

Both these young dancers are Bayerisches Staatsballett soloists and recent winners of the Prix de Lausanne.  In conversation with dance writer Amanda Jennings

FYI

Zoom talks are free to LBC members

Non-members can join Zoom talks for £5 (go to ‘Events’)

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/

Bumping this up too as a friendly reminder😀💖

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• zxDaveM changed the title to THE LONDON BALLET CIRCLE: NEWS AND UPCOMING EVENTS

The London Ballet Circle’s 75th Anniversary Choreographic Awards, designed to support initiatives in the classical genre, have now been announced.

Following a through appraisal of all the applications, the Panel Consisting of Dame Monica Mason, Wayne Eagling and Gerald Dowler recommended that the fund should be divided three ways. The Panel felt that each of the selected projects not only met the criteria set by the LBC but clearly demonstrated, firstly, how the emerging work would draw on the classical ballet vocabulary and, secondly, the kind of artistic experiences that both the choreographers and the diverse groups of young dancers involved would have as a result. 

English National Ballet School (ENBS) has been awarded £3,000 to support its Young Choreographers initiative in collaboration with the Wallace Collection, students from The London College of fashion, and musicians from The Royal College of Music.

Central School of Ballet has been given £3,000 to provide a lead donation which will enable Mthuthuzeli November to develop an initial sketch into a longer work with the graduate year Ballet Central Company for subsequent touring. 

New English Ballet Theatre (NEBT) has received £1,500 to assist in paying the female choreographers who are making works for performance as part of The Royal Opera House’s Next Generation Festival and subsequent touring. 

LBC Members will be offered the opportunity to observe elements of the choreographic process at ENB School, Central and NEBT. To become a Member, please follow this link: https://www.tlbc.org.uk/pages/9-join 

Edited by LBC
  • Like 4

As a newish member to LBC I’m very impressed by the donations, bursaries etc made by the group each year. 

Congratulations to all involved in the extra effort made for these choreographic awards.  The decision making process must have been fascinating and I’m sure the recipients are delighted.  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, FionaE said:

As a newish member to LBC I’m very impressed by the donations, bursaries etc made by the group each year. 

Congratulations to all involved in the extra effort made for these choreographic awards.  The decision making process must have been fascinating and I’m sure the recipients are delighted.  

I think that one of the interesting things is that the charitable donations made by the LBC also open up opportunities for Members to watch school and company rehearsals. That's great because, after all, it is through the Membership itself and the additional generosity of Members that the financial support is possible.

• Like 3

Reminder that the Zoom conversation with Antonio Casalinho and Shale Wagman is THIS EVENING.   

Interview by Amanda Jennings.

Monday 7 February 2022 ... at 7pm ... UK time

It's £5 to join the zoom, sign-up at 

https://www.tlbc.org.uk/events/antonio-casalinho-shale-wagman-in-conversation-via-zoom

and you'll be sent the link.

Problems with the zoom link?  please email londonballetcirclezoom@gmail.com

• Like 2

It was a very nice interview, fresh and interesting. I didn't know much about Antonio and his school, so learning something about that was good. His aim for perfection onstage sounds a bit too ambitious to my ears, and we could see it in the short classical clip from PdL with the triple turns combination etc. Shale's DonQ clip from PdL showed again his artistry (and I was clapping when Amanda Jennings pointed out especially his head movements, which I love so much). I found this artistry also in most of his answers.

It was good to see that they like being with the Munich company, good for me 😀.

I wish both of them all the best and will be soon on my way to Munich again.  

Since I am new to these interviews I have a question: were they recorded, so available to watch again?

• Like 4