World Ballet Day 2018 - feedback and discussion

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A frustrating rather than a seamless experience. Agree with Sim that they should involve real punters in feedback and act on what is said. But ROH can be very good at congratulating themselves and not really comprehending the reality - or the reality for some. Even now https://worldballetday.com/ is still not loading and yet this is supposed to be the front door for the whole endeavour.

Hopefully, all the vids will go on YouTube, where they can easily be consumed at leisure. It's paradoxical, but World Ballet Day is really best seen on any day but the day itself.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Jam Dancer said:

Sorry but buffering occurs because of the receiving infrastructure not because of the source.... If you have slow broadband or a slow device you will have buffering... It is not because of FB or the ROH.

That may be the case. However in previous years of WBD on Youtube I have had no problems. This year on Facebook I have given up, as the buffering is almost continuous, with only brief snatches of actual viewing.

• Like 2

There are now a great many critical comments on the ROH website ( the website where you have to search and already know about it to find anything about WBD)- but I think what ROH have not understood in their replies is that even if non Facebook users just clicked their link, -  as they are repeatedly urged to do- it did often did not work.

• Like 2

Stayed up till 2am to watch the AB but wished I hadn't what with the host and AD chatting non stop throughout the class it was ruined for me. I then overslept and missed the Bolshoi class - this is the class that usually has the incessant chatter - but I caught part of the rehearsal or should I say the shouting man section...

The RB section was brilliant. Kristen & Alexander did a fantastic job especially during class were there was no needless commentary. I thought the company looked to be on much better form than last year, cleaner and quicker well just a joy! I loved the music the pianist played throughout I actually laughed when he played "Delilah". Wasn't it great to see Marianela standing next to Yasmine, the oldest female principal next to the youngest, ( in terms of how long they've been principal's) and see them perform the first centre exercise side by side and notice they're different style.

My transmission failed during the BRB section - so disappointing. Hopefully I can catch it on YT.

I  was disappointed that NBofC & SFB were too busy to participate this year...

But I really enjoyed my RB day.

• Like 1

Just watched the PNB relay live on their FB page and had no problem.   Totally stunning - it was all dance - well, DAAG that is - never over stressed and totally exquisite.  The only words you heard were but a few of encouragement from the ever brilliant Peter Boal.  T'was a thing of joy.  Bravi.  

Agree with Dave about DNB's rendition of Neumeier's black PDD.  Superb in every way - and there too the dance was allowed to run its course (the commentary - when it came - usually only to say how good it was - fell on top rather than between) so the audience got a sense of the overall dramatic/emotional arc of the core piece.  That way later corrections made I think even greater impact.  I found the Bolshoi Bayadere corps rehearsal painful to watch with little edification to be gained as a result of or indeed in spite of the obvious cruelty exercised by the Company's Director.   The marvellous Manuel Legris can happily give corrections to his female corps in Sylvia in Vienna without being disrespectful.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, alison said:

I'm a little concerned at the absence of Cuthbertson as originally scheduled.  Takada looks great, though - was she originally scheduled?

Yes, we all have a tendency to interpret these things! I thought that I spotted Cuthbertson in Class and Takada is made for the role of Nikiya so it was lovely to see her rehearsing that.

This is the 5th WBD and the most infuriating of the lot. The ROH should be hanging its head in shame.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

Looks like Romany Pajdak has been deemed “most likely to be able to do ALL the arabesques” in the upcoming Bayadère revival!

How fantastic was she?! I was struck by just how serene and calm her expression was - she was just beautiful. I hope she is given further opportunities.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

This is the 5th WBD and the most infuriating of the lot. The ROH should be hanging its head in shame.

I think that's a bit harsh. I thought the RB had by far the best  presentations and I saw fewer technical glitches during these  than in other sections. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Does anyone know what was the thinking behind the decision to restrict live coverage to Facebook, rather than also stream through YouTube? 

You may have seen the multiple uses of the phrase We've taken the decision to share the stream on Facebook in order to reach as many people as possible, on the ROH website.....every year I watch the Goodwood Festival of Speed on Youtube or Facebook (they use both) on the days that I don't go to the event in person, it works well for hours and hours a a time and throughout the day links on their FB page which followers will also pick up on their newsfeed so clips of interesting incidents which also serve as reminders that this event is on to see.

I have no idea why the ROH can't do the same or very similar unless it's down to Youtube fees

8 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Is anyone else unable to watch the RB segment now up on YouTube? Everything else is playing fine so it’s not my broadband or anything.

I subscribe to the ROH youtube channel and the most recent content on there that I can see is the Unknown Soldier Insight

I had an email alerting me that it was up and it’s in my list of notifications - but won’t play! It almost looks as though it has been made private rather than public - but then I wouldn’t expect it to show at all. I can’t post a link as it won’t let me have one - it’s a ghost video!

58 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

I had an email alerting me that it was up and it’s in my list of notifications - but won’t play! It almost looks as though it has been made private rather than public - but then I wouldn’t expect it to show at all. I can’t post a link as it won’t let me have one - it’s a ghost video!

its on YouTube now - it properly starts 5-6mins in (i.e. the 'coming up' notice lasts 5-6mins)

• Like 2