zxDaveM

World Ballet Day 2018 - feedback and discussion

The BRB will be rehearsing their new piece, Ignite, at approximately 1pm on the Hippodrome stage, featuring Brandon Lawrence.

10 minutes ago, Sim said:

How fab that the RB is doing class to The Lonely Goatherd!  Love it!

And we have just had the Looney Tunes theme music.... 😂 I like this pianist’s musical choices! All played beautifully too.

• Like 2

In the original thread on News member Richard LH contributed a really useful post that gave the times (UK times) and links to numerous company contributions to WBD:

It's well worth reading, but I'm pasting below in the hope it might be seen directly...

I have put UK time in red. I think they got the "UTC+" for Wellington wrong - the web tells me it is currently  11:40 pm in Wellington so they are exactly 12  hours ahead of us here.

Please correct if you spot any  silly errors.

The Australian Ballet, Melbourne
11:00-16:00 AEST (UTC+10hrs)   
02:00 - 07:00

Bolshoi Theatre of Russia, Bolshoi Ballet, Moscow  09:00-14:00 MSK (UTC +3hrs)  7:00 -  12:00

Royal Opera House, The Royal Ballet, London  12:00-17:00 BST (UTC +1hr)

Guest companies:

AUSTRALIA and ASIA 
The National Ballet of Japan, Tokyo - 11:00-11:15 JST (UTC +9hrs) 03:00 -  03:15
West Australian Ballet , Perth - 14:30-14:40 AWST (UTC +8hrs) 07:30 -  07:40
Queensland Ballet, Brisbane - 15:00-16:00 AEST (UTC+10hrs) 06:00 – 07:00
Royal New Zealand Ballet, Wellington - 15:00-16:00 NZST (UTC +12hrs) 03:00 - 04:00  (UTC + 13 hrs)

MAINLAND EUROPE 
Nasjonalballetten UNG / Norwegian NB   2, Oslo - 14:00 - 14:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 13:00 - 13:30
The Royal Danish Ballet, Copenhagen - 14:15-14:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 13:15 - 13:45
Bayerisches Staatsballett, Munich - 14:30-15:00 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 13:30 - 14:00
Das Stuttgarter Ballettt, Stuttgart - 15:00-15:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 14:00 - 14:30
Wiener Staatsballett, Vienna - 15:15-15:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 14:15 - 14:45
Ballet de l'Opéra de Paris, Paris - 15:30-16:00 CEST (UTC +2hrs)  14:30 - 15:00
Het Nationale Ballet - Dutch NB, Amsterdam - 16:00-16:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 15:00 - 15:30
Kungliga Svenska/Royal Swedish Ballet Sch.Stockholm - 16:15-16:45 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 15:15 - 15:45
Teatr Wielki - Opera Narodowa, Warsaw - 17:00-17:30 CEST (UTC +2hrs) 16:00 - 16:30

UNITED KINGDOM 
Scottish Ballet, Glasgow - 11:00-11:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
Birmingham Royal Ballet - 13:00-13:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
English National Ballet, London - 14:00-14:30 BST (UTC +1hr)
Royal Academy of Dance, London - 14:30-15:00 BST (UTC +1hr)
Northern Ballet, Leeds - 16:00-16:30 BST (UTC +1hr)

AMERICA and CANADA
Ballet Concierto De PR, San Juan - 10:00-10:15 AST (UTC -4hrs)  15:00 - 15:15
Acosta Danza, Cuba - 12:00-12:40 EDT (UTC -4hrs) 17:00 - 17:40
Houston Ballet, Texas - 12:30-13:30 CDT (UTC -5hrs) 18:30 - 19:30
Pacific Northwest Ballet , Seattle - 11:00-11:30 PDT (UTC -7hrs) 19:00 - 19:30
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, New York - 15:00-15:30 EDT (UTC -4hrs) 20:00 - 20:30
Les Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal - 16:00-17:00 EDT (UTC -4hrs) 21:00 - 22:00

Edited 1 hour ago by alison
Added highlighting in the hope of making this easier to spot
Edited by Bruce

Hey Big Spender was an unusual choice. Nice to have a bit of humour, not detracting one whit from the hard work and dedication.

I wonder what the Bolshoi make of it!

• Like 1

And 'With A Little Bit of Luck' from My Fair Lady.  I am loving his musical choices!

• Like 3

Argh! They're filming from the back of the class again! They did this last year. 

3 hours ago, Fiz said:

We finally found the live stream after much aggravation. Why they can’t use a central site is beyond me and I’ve missed all of the Australian Ballet and don’t know which  ballet the Bolshoi is rehearsing. Every year it’s so frustrating.

The Australian Ballet feed is now on youtube

• Like 3

I've been up since 3am - missed Tokyo sadly, but managed to catch a bit of Australia before going back to sleep! I have this playing on my phone while I'm at work.

• Like 1

Thanks, Trog. I saw as I follow them on YouTube. Okay, deep breath - was anyone else not impressed by the Bolshoi section?

• Like 1

Yeah, there was a lot of prerecorded stuff... Though it was great to see some of Nureyev. Very different from the recent Canadian production.

• Like 2

Great to see some of the Nureyev. Wish we could see the whole thing on a tour or live screening. The pas de deux with the Erik Bruhn character was very good to see.

• Like 2

I’m glad it’s not just me! I was really excited for the Bolshoi section but it was just dull. The Royal Ballet is much more engaging.

• Like 1

I'm finding the BRB segment very frustrating to watch - can't hear what is being said - and I've got a very powerful speaker now connected to my lap top.  When we had a few seconds of music my eardrums nearly imploded!

• Like 3

My feeling on the Bolshoi - I liked the piece with the music by Britten (I missed what it was called though, and who choreographed it). Thought 'Nureyev' piece was tedious I'm afraid. It was an interesting, if a bit wince inducing, to see how hard they drove the corps - or perhaps just more honest than we are used to seeing? The 'election' piece was worth seeing too.

I'm a little concerned at the absence of Cuthbertson as originally scheduled.  Takada looks great, though - was she originally scheduled?

Actually, though, this was always mix-and-match casting, because Muntagirov is supposed to be dancing with Nunez/Osipova, isn't he?

Well that was a sadly frustrating 35 minutes with BRB.  We saw a section of Ignite being rehearsed mainly without music and without adequate microphones being provided to the choreographer (as minimum) and dancers.  I could see them talking at the back of the stage but even with my rather powerful bluetooth speaker (which I daren't put on full volume under normal circumstances - it would shake the house down) I couldn't hear what they were saying.

I managed to just about hear the answers to twitter and instagram questions at the end but not very well because my speaker was turned up so loud the sound was distorting!

The section we saw of Ignite (a pdt for Celine Gittens, Brandon Lawrence and Mathias Dingman) looked intriguing and I can't wait to see the full ballet on Thursday.

I've just switched back to the Royal Ballet and nearly deafened myself!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Actually, though, this was always mix-and-match casting, because Muntagirov is supposed to be dancing with Nunez/Osipova, isn't he?

they aren't rehearsing together - Akane doing the solo, the other two will dance their duet once she's finished, is my guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

It's a bit if a joke. I can't see anything. I'm not on Facebook so that's useless as it wants me to sign up.

Just ignore it.  You should be able to get past it and just click on the video and extend it to full screen anyway.

Please someone tell the cameraman it's counterproductive to follow the dancers around the studio too much!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Please someone tell the cameraman it's counterproductive to follow the dancers around the studio too much!

think he heard you and pulled the plug

oh wait, we're back again

Well have missed the Bolshoi class....hoping to see Oscar but no such luck.

Thanks for putting up links but nothing worked today....except RB 

Hopefully can catch up on YouTube at some point have to go up to London now!!!

• Like 1

Had no problem with the Russians ... but the British WBD broadcast has I fear been problematic for me.  Is this some kind of plot as the news programmes keep suggesting?  Surely not :)  Birmingham it seems has gone silent.  

Perhaps it is a creative incentive .... Invent your own dialogue.  Bintley's repartee has just become totally stellar in my ear :) LOL  ... There have been several vital hints as to his replacement so far.  Fascinating! .... :)   (only joking .... NOT!)   So sad  -  as in the few seconds I could actually hear - there was a (much deserved) tribute to Bintley.  

Hopefully they will fix the problem for the other companies being featured.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Compared with previous years, this Facebook thing is turning out a touch shambolic - and I can't be alone.  What looks like a count of the number watching has dropped from 4.4K to 2.4K in about 4 minutes.  Looks like a rethink needed for next year.

• Like 8