Royal Ballet Insight and In Rehearsal discussion

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

Yuhui Choe, Yasmine Naghdi, Akane Takada

What a starry line-up for tonight's Opening Night of "La Bayadere" with Vadim Muntagirov/Natalia Osipova/Marianella Nunez and Solo Shades Yasmine Naghdi/Akane Takada/Yuhui Choe! 

I don't have a ticket for tonight, I have seen Marianella Nunez as Gamzatti during the last run, and as I have to budget I have chosen to see the Akane Takada(Nikiya)/Yasmine Naghdi(Gamzatti)/Steven McRae cast this coming Saturday. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Marianela's insight inDecember has been moved to the  Linbury. Those of us who managed to get tickes have been told that we will be allocated new seats. Since the Linbury has more than twice the capacity of the Clore, I would imagine that once the ticket re-allocation has been completed, another batch of seats will become available.

I wonder whether the same will happen with Steven McRae's even in February?

Good that a wider audience can enjoy but i rather suspect that the intimacy will be lost.

I got my two tickets for both events when a few more were released for general booking. Both, like most Insights, were sold out well before booking level reached "Friends" level. I hadn't realised that tickets were held back for the general booking date.

I think comments regarding last night's Infra rehearsal should be posted in this thread.

The two pairings of Anna Rose O'Sullivan/William Bracewell and Mayara Magri/Marcelino Sambe gave a wonderful run through that suggests they have more than mastered the demanding nature of the movements and will give mesmerising performances.  

I always find that Wayne McGregor comes across as a very encouraging and helpful person to the dancers he is working with - demanding but generous with praise. He is also very good at communicating to an audience.

I was surprised that this was classed as a rehearsal as it resembled an insight evening  ( and a very good one at that) with some lovely live music and an in depth chat which included the wonderful Ed Watson.

A very enjoyable watch. 

• Like 3

Just watched the Nutcracker insight. Christopher Carr at his charismatic best!

Lovely  to see David Yudes dancing Hans Peter. Partnering Isabella Gasperini in a last minute cast change. The depth and breadth of this company is quite awe inspiring right now. Gary Avis was also a delight and it was good to have a short interview piece with him. Final praise must go to the wonderful rehearsal pianist who, I am ashamed to say, I didn’t catch her name. Such wonderful chemistry between everyone involved - even Kirsty helped out with miming  Drosselmeyer’s  assistant .

Edited by Odyssey

• 2 months later...

As does Royla Ballet.

I thoroughly enjoyed the YouTube relay and seeing all five dancers being coached by Kevin O’Hare and Samantha Raine, Anna-Rose O’Sullivan effervescent.  Very interesting to hear from Martin Yates with all the illustrations and looking forward to Don Q in the next few weeks, in the theatre and the cinema relay.

• Like 1

Wow Yasmine really nailed those 32 fouettes! Much admiration for her and Sambe in the studio.

So pleased to have been able to attend and see just a little of the hard work and skills that go into these productions. Looking forward now to seeing it all again on YouTube...

...and getting pretty excited about the opening night and the rest of the run...!

• Like 1

Another wonderful insight. Aside from the ballet, I particularly enjoyed hearing Martin Yates who was incredibly entertaining in addition to imparting so much interesting music history. My friend and I had a lovely chat with him afterwards too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Wow Yasmine really nailed those 32 fouettes

As she did 28 and travelled a bit, I feel this is overstating the case a trifle. 

I don't think it important as it is still a couple of weeks away from performances. On the whole I don;t think people not professionally involved could or should draw many inferences from rehearsals or other studio work. As a member of the audience it's the performance only that matters. Looking at work in a studio informs and enhances our appreciation of the performance.

The Insight tonight on Don Q was interesting as far as it went without convincing me that the ballet is or should be a core element in the Royal Ballet's repertory and it also slightly reinforced the impression that Kevin O'Hare is a fine Director, but I've never had the feeling that his forte is to be a coach/ballet master/rehearsal director of classical pas de deux.

20 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Ah, but I was counting the doubles as well Douglas!

It was so exciting to see close up. 

The only technical knowledge I have is that a fouetté is only a single turn.

I never count and I don’t know why fouettes seem to make or break a performance for a dancer when it is one step sequence over in a minute or so.

• Like 3

Kevin O'Hare certainly seemed very enthusiastic about Acosta's Don Q. and he summed up all the reasons why. Yasmine and Marcelino too stated they have so much fun rehearsing together and they are looking forward to share their joy with the audience. When the presenter asked Kevin O'Hare why he brought Don Q. back his answer was "Yasmine and Marcelino are sufficient reasons to bring it back". Marcelino Sambe talked about the amazing opportunity being coached by Acosta. They all seem to treasure Don Q. I know some do not like this ballet so no need for them to revisit Don Q. When I first saw Don Q. performed I was sitting next to a couple who were seeing a ballet for the very first time in their life and at the end the husband told me: " Well if this is what ballet is all about I'll happily come back to see more!". 

Marcelino Sambe and Yasmine Naghdi will surely deliver a firecracker performance (my only concern is that Marcelino Sambe is too short for Yasmine Naghdi and I hope he's able to work on partnering her well by the time they are ready to go on stage).

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Yes very strange indeed. Surely the Director KevinO'Hare should be mentioned first, followed by the Principal, first soloist etc. 

Another illustration of how little idea the people newly i/c within the ROH have about running things.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

As she did 28 and travelled a bit..................................

It was a REHEARSAL and in a studio.

I was more interested in her (their) lovely phrasing at the start of the first piece they danced. I never count either.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, capybara said:

This list of participants in alphabetical order looks very strange indeed.

Funny how the presenter is allowed to be at the top, out of alpha order. Presumably she's more important than everyone else.

I can't see why the dancers' ranks need to be shown anyway.

• Like 2

I think it’s incredibly rude of them not to give a special thanks to the Royla Ballet for allowing their pianist to appear at this Insight, what a way to treat a guest appearance! 😱

In my dream role of Head of Pamphlets I would list the presenter first and then everyone in order of appearance and provide a helpline number at the bottom for people requiring counselling. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that you'll find that it matters to them for all sorts of (good) reasons. It's a right and proper courtesy, after all

Ah, I see what you mean. They're there in their own right, so to speak, not just as performers (as during a performance, when their ranks are not shown on cast lists).

17 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Ah, I see what you mean. They're there in their own right, so to speak, not just as performers (as during a performance, when their ranks are not shown on cast lists).

It simply tells you who they are.  If you were seeing the insight as somebody who was not familiar with the company, you might not know who e.g. Yasmine Naghdi is, or her role in the event, whereas if you were reading a cast list you *know* she's a dancer because she's listed opposite her character.  It's no different from participants in opera insights having "Soprano" or "Conductor" listed against their name.  Though come to think of it, I can't remember how they list it when the presenter is an artist themselves (e.g. Kristin McNally or Alexander Campbell presenting the RB insights, or Angel Blue presenting the recent Traviata one).

• Like 2

Mentioning the dancers rank correctly is simply a matter of showing respect towards a dancer.

Yes all dancers deserve admiration and respect but a dancer who has ultimately achieved the highest rank of principal in a company deserves the highest respect: simply listing their name (without mentioning their rank) is disrespectful.

You are not going to list a social worker, a nurse, a GP,  a consultant (how ever important any one of them is!!) next to one another without mentioning their title reflecting their achievements, degree of responsibility, degree of education and level of experience. 

7 minutes ago, Sim said:

Counselling for what, RobS?

In case you think my decision to list them in order of appearance is stupid and that height order would’ve been a lot more logical. 

• Like 1