Tring

Lildancer96

Perhaps Tulip, Primrose or someone with more experience of Tring could help - this is all new to me but from what I understand and please correct me if wrong...they are split into 10 ability groups for ballet /jazz - the top ballet group is referred to as 'classical set' . Their timetable is slightly different to the other groups in that they do more pointe, pas de deux, solos etc. they also have virtiousity instead of modern. Lil

There are 10 groups with about 15 in each - they are grouped by ability not ages from year 10 up to year 14 (6.3) hence the need for so many . So in the classical set - there can be a wide age range. There are only 4 from the new lower sixth in the classical set. Lil

Edited to add- accommodation going well thank you :)

Edited by Lildancer96
  • Like 2

At Tring there is the lower school and the senior school. Within the senior part of the school there will be 5th formers with all the 6th formers grouped together. When my daughter was at Tring there were three classical sets, but every year they change. Last year it was dance 10 with most of the chosen classical graduates in, dance 6 were deffinately chosen for classical and then dance 8, who were potentialy classical but not sure. Then there was all the other sets. The age group my daughter was in therefor was aged 15 to 18 depending when you were born, eg September August. There was about 20 students in my daughters class and unfortunately due to studio space or absence of teachers groups would be doubled up or spread out. In september no one knows what set they are going to be in, you find out in the first week and then there can be changes within groups. It does seem confusing, but the students understand what happens. When my daughter went into year nine they were put into two groups A and B, which again was based on classical ability or potential, again we found this out in September. I must admit, I hadn't realised that there were so many groups, but then again this could be changes made for this year.

I am so pleased that your daughter has settled at Tring and I wish her lots of good luck and happiness. It is also brilliant that your daughter has gone into the classical set as that is what she wanted and hoped for. Miss Wright and Miss Rossenheim are really good ballet teachers, Miss Wright usually teaches the top ballet set and is fantastic and very well liked by all of the students there.

• Like 2

Thanks tulip for sharing your experience of Tring- it is all very complicated!

I hope this is a little clearer now to you jellybeans. However the only purpose of my post was to share the great news that my daughter had been put on the classical set - the rest of the logistics can pass me by!

Lil :)

• Like 8

Thrilled for you Lildance, I hope your daughter is enjoying the fab teachers at Tring.

The sets are very well explained by Tulip. But just to clarify the students get placed where it is felt they will most benefit- I have seen fabulous dancers there for example who are very capable of all the classical work but are in the "jazz£ group so as to maximise their potential. All the students do ballet regardless. And moving sets is not unknown- both ex students of mine who are there; successfully requested a move haviing had the common sense to work really hard and communicate directly with staff.

All the students are talented, regardless of sets- many who are not in a purely classical set are still on DaDas, they have just been placed where it is felt that they can get the best training for them.

• Like 1

Do they offer any funding at Kate Simmons? The course content looks good but I couldn't see anything about funding or fees. Was only quuck peak at work!

DD enquired recently - it's just over £2000 per term, plus national diploma and exam fees. Obviously if you don't live locally then there's accommodation on top of that as well. So works out at a similar level to Tring etc (with a DaDa).

Good to hear that DDs are settling well into life at sixth forms.

Millie

• Like 2