pointe shoe hardner HELP

Tinkerbell

please will someone help me ...

My Daughter is going through pointe shoes like no tomorrow, last pair lasted 10 days!

please can someone tell me which product is best for hardening them to prolong there life a bit longer.

we have tried pointe glue but bottles are so small we wondered if there were other options out there.

thanks in advance xx

Check with her teacher! I checked over a pair this week and I have my strong suspicions the shop is deliberately selling the student shoes that are unsuitable for her feet, thus speeding up the speed she gets through them. Her mum has noted that each pair she has purchased has been significantly more expensive than the previous pair. 

4 minutes ago, Bluebird22 said:

Check with her teacher! I checked over a pair this week and I have my strong suspicions the shop is deliberately selling the student shoes that are unsuitable for her feet, thus speeding up the speed she gets through them. Her mum has noted that each pair she has purchased has been significantly more expensive than the previous pair. 

She had these ones fit by bloch in London and we bought 3 pairs 

she is going through them faster because she is doing a lot of pointe work at school now, I just wondered if there was any way to prolong the shoes life a bit  :)

I have not tried this myself, so cannot make any comment about its effectiveness, but when Dd participated in EYB a few years ago, there was a pointe shoe workshop. Their suggestion was to paint a wood preservative, Cuprinol or the like on the inside of the box. If you can get one that limits wet rot, so much the better, they said. 

Good luck - must be so frustrating to have them wear out so quickly, 😀

• Like 3

Try any/all these things to see if it helps prolong them - 

Alternate pairs and air them overnight to dry. 

Use pointe glue to harden them where she tends to break them eg if under arch then paint it on the sole of the shoe in that area

Spray the inside of the sole with ellnett extra hard hairspray after use and leave to dry over night

try different makes and styles of pointe shoe, until she finds the right one likely to break them quicker!

also check her technique if she is ‘sinking’ into the shoe instead of pulling up out of it, as that will break them quicker 

• Like 5

I second having 2 pairs at once to allow proper dry out. Dd1 has quite sweaty feet and her shoes can get quite wet which softens them quickly. Check the shank as well. A hard shank is not always best. Very bendy feet may snap a hard shank quicker and may need a softer shank or a pre arched one-there are older threads about this.

Shellac can also be used to prolong the life of the shank. Do the school recommend anything?

You could also ask Bloch and see what they recommend.

This article is helpful: https://getballetbox.com/pointe-shoe-fitting-complete-guide-getting-best-pointe-shoes/

Edited by Mummy twinkle toes
More info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tinkerbell said:

please will someone help me ...

My Daughter is going through pointe shoes like no tomorrow, last pair lasted 10 days!

please can someone tell me which product is best for hardening them to prolong there life a bit longer.

we have tried pointe glue but bottles are so small we wondered if there were other options out there.

thanks in advance xx

Hi. I would definitely have her feet/shoes checked by the teacher. I appreciate you have had your DD’s Pointes fitted by Bloch but you may well find that another brand is more suitable for your DD’s needs and abilities. Try Dancia Int’l if you can. It’s only across the road from Bloch London. The shop stocks many brands so enables a one stop shop. Pointe shoe shopping can be a challenge as you cover a lot of pavement back and forth searching and comparing. 

Is your DD at vocational school or after school dancing? Every 10 days does appear rather excessive for any pupil going through Pointe Shoes. 

Defintely worth a refit/rethink. 

But whatever she does end up wearing, 

asuggested. Ensure shoes are air dried between use incl ouch pouch or whatever liners are used this simple process extends the life of shoes. 

Good Luck. 🙆‍♀️

• Like 2

I agree with balletbean a  good  fitting at somewhere that stocks multiple brands  may well be a good start 

Dancia seem to get a good press... 

Leanne Bisson  straighttothepointe.net  mainly  stocks Grishko  but  seems to get  good reports 

it seems  that pointe shoe fitting  is a function of both what is available  st the place in question ( or  your willingnress ot  pay and wait for  made to orders) and the skill of the fitter 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, balletbean said:

Hi. I would definitely have her feet/shoes checked by the teacher. I appreciate you have had your DD’s Pointes fitted by Bloch but you may well find that another brand is more suitable for your DD’s needs and abilities. Try Dancia Int’l if you can. It’s only across the road from Bloch London. The shop stocks many brands so enables a one stop shop. Pointe shoe shopping can be a challenge as you cover a lot of pavement back and forth searching and comparing. 

Is your DD at vocational school or after school dancing? Every 10 days does appear rather excessive for any pupil going through Pointe Shoes. 

Defintely worth a refit/rethink. 

But whatever she does end up wearing, 

asuggested. Ensure shoes are air dried between use incl ouch pouch or whatever liners are used this simple process extends the life of shoes. 

Good Luck. 🙆‍♀️

Hi

We cant go to dancia as its too far to travel she just happened to be in London at the time of the fitting.

yes she is at vocational school 6th form :) it think its the sheer amount of dance she is doing now that is the reason for them not lasting as long,

as she has been using the same brand of shoe a while now.

Thank you for all your help xx

I would suggest she gets herself to a pointe shoe fitting as soon as she can - my DD needed to change pointe shoes once she went to vocational 6th form - as you say sheer amount of dance actually meant shoes did not last nor fit as well as before.  Other advice of alternating 2 or even 3 pairs so that they can thoroughly dry out between usage is spot on.  If it is the box softening then shellac or wood preservative like cuprinol may help extend the life but a good pointe shoe fitter will offer the best advice for if there is a better shoe out there for her.

• Like 1

My eldest DD had a terrible track history of shoe breaking until she was fitted with Russian pointe, by playing around with their different specifications within each type she’s found a shoe that lasts a more average length of time finally! When your DD’s current shoes break it would definitely be worth another look! 😊

Hi Tinkerbell

All great advice on hardening, airing etc above. If you get time in 1/2 term and can get to me I’m Cambs/Lincs/Norfolk border (Wisbech). We have Grishko (6 styles) Russian Pointe (6 styles) Gaynor, Merlet (5 styles) F.R.Duval, Sansha, Bloch, Freed and Capezio, all under one roof :) 

we do ask people to book appointments, but you can do that on our website. 

Best wishes

sheila x

PS manufacturers say the average life of a traditional pointe shoe is around 15hrs....!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sheila Beelam said:

Hi Tinkerbell

All great advice on hardening, airing etc above. If you get time in 1/2 term and can get to me I’m Cambs/Lincs/Norfolk border (Wisbech). We have Grishko (6 styles) Russian Pointe (6 styles) Gaynor, Merlet (5 styles) F.R.Duval, Sansha, Bloch, Freed and Capezio, all under one roof :) 

we do ask people to book appointments, but you can do that on our website. 

Best wishes

sheila x

PS manufacturers say the average life of a traditional pointe shoe is around 15hrs....!

Hi thank you for your reply 😊

please can you send me the shop address and I will see how far away you are.

or maybe private message me your phone number to call you.

if manufacturers say the average life is 15 hours them 10 / 14 days doesn’t sound that bad 🤔