Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

4 hours ago, capybara said:

Romeo and Juliet and Me: 29th May

This was Deborah MacMillan, Yasmine Naghdi, and Gary Avis (the latter already in Lord Capulet make up). A good discussion with some interesting Q and As at the end (particularly my own of course)!

• Like 2

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the 23rd it was Sambe and O'Sullivan and Ross McGibbon...who was very amusing ....who makes ballet films but used to be a dancer in the Nureyev era!....and told an amusing and telling anecdote about Nureyev when performing Romeo who liked to practice on stage right to the very last minute before curtain up! 

The two current dancers talked about their debuts and what the ballet meant to them and what was inspirational to the roles for them. 

They were both very engaging and explained how it was easier to dance together because they were good friends for such a long time and so can anticipate how the other may respond to certain things. Ross Mc gibbon talked a little about the technicalities of filming dancers and bállets and getting the framing right etc.

Then there was Q and A in which one interesting question was about the music and conductor and the different speeds they may take certain numbers and how the dancers coped with this another quite amusing part. 

It was a very enjoyable hour or so well worth attending.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that Sambe, O'Sullivan and Ross McGibbon were on the 22nd but thank you, LinMM.

Mystery still surrounds the 23rd. Was anyone there?

Was that the session with two guests - James Hay and Ross McGibbon???

Thank you LinMM, BruceWall and zxDaveM - I knew that the information I sought was buried in BCF somewhere.

Although none of us can get to everything, it's really nice to know who did what.

I wonder what treats will be in store within the Fonteyn and Me sessions.......................

• John Mallinson changed the title to Royal Ballet Insight Events - News & links

On Wednesday I saw Monica Mason Margaret Barbieri and Marienula Nunez.

The former were recalling their experiences of performing and travelling with Fonteyn and Nunez was more saying why she had been an inspiration to her as a child etc. 

There were lots of lovely memories and Monica Mason in particular was very amusing actually recalling stage moments eg in Giselle where Fonteyn was so imploring her (as Queen of the Wilis) to save Albrecht that she started to doubt how she could be so mean not to want to save him!  I also got the impression that as Fonteyn became more famous she may have been rather lonely with people not daring to sit next to her at meals etc.....Fonteyn insisted that Mason and Barbieri came over to join her on one occasion. This was a different era I suppose where hierarchy was more prevalent than today. 

Actually this reminded me that Monica Mason was one of the best Queen of the Wilis I've seen over the years and some friends at this Insight with me were daring me to go up and ask her if she could remember the night she broke her ankle mid performance in this role....I remember it well.....but I didn't dare in the end....she might not have been too happy to remember it!! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I enjoyed Magri's rehearsal with Leanne Benjamin on World Ballet Day (in fact, I think it was my favourite part of the day!) and so while I'm not opposed to seeing how it looks further down the line to see the development, I do hope we also get to see others rehearsing the role too...

Does anyone know how long filmed insights stay on youtube for? Is it forever or a set amount of time? I'm hoping I can catch it some other time as not sure I'll be able to tonight. 

1 hour ago, JNC said:

I enjoyed Magri's rehearsal with Leanne Benjamin on World Ballet Day (in fact, I think it was my favourite part of the day!) and so while I'm not opposed to seeing how it looks further down the line to see the development, I do hope we also get to see others rehearsing the role too...

Does anyone know how long filmed insights stay on youtube for? Is it forever or a set amount of time? I'm hoping I can catch it some other time as not sure I'll be able to tonight. 

They usually just stay up there @JNC. I don't remember they ever removing an insight video. So be sure you'll be able to check it out later 😉.

One of my favourite parts of WBD was Magri's rehearsal of Coppelia. In specific Swanilda's awakening scene (her eyes looked so alive and wondrous, quite lovely) and when she did the slow penché ( she even got an wow from Stephen Wicks ). My other favourite part was definitely all the music played during the warm up class, and getting a sneak peak on Ferri ( who I assume is there for The Dante Project, though nothing has been confirmed). 

I hope we see others too. I believe she said they would be rehearsing the wedding pas de deux but also solos. So it could be more than them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

I must be stupid but I can't access tonight's Sleeping Beauty Insight no matter what route I try.

Why doesn't it just come up as it used to as a main headline?

Thanks for the reminder! We found it here...

...and could rewind it to the beginning.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Yes, I knew it was being streamed - but thanks for the link. Saves me trying to hunt it down! 🙂

It does say on the info about the Insight that it will be being filmed, but not that it will be livestreamed. Why does the ROH not advertise this fact? (Especially given that it's sold out.) I subscribe to their youtube channel, I follow the ROH on Twitter and I am a Friend, but I didn't know this was being livestreamed. Seems odd if they want to Open Up participation in ROH events.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

I searched for it on the ROH website but only found the reference to the event being filmed. They should be shouting these things from the roof tops.

If I remember correctly,  each time the website has indicated that an Insight event is to be filmed, there has been a live streaming.   I don't remember any of these events being filmed for a later screening.  Does anyone remember this happening?

Edited by Bluebird

33 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Perhaps they didn't want to risk any Scarlett-related comments?

I think so.  There was a post show Q&A at the very end, which I note was not recorded.  At the start of that Kevin O'Hare said he could not answer any questions about the matter as it was being looked into.  I think they're being extra careful as a result which is a sensible approach in my view. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

There was a post show Q&A at the very end, which I note was not recorded.  At the start of that Kevin O'Hare said he could not answer any questions about the matter as it was being looked into.  I think they're being extra careful as a result which is a sensible approach in my view. 

Indeed. However did anyone - no doubt more politely than this - ask if the show has been changed since its first run? My wicked hope is that, given that the choreographer has been banned from the building, maybe people with skill and experience in putting on shows have been at work on this revival.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread because I think it's useful!

The "Behind the Scenes with Music Staff of The Royal Ballet" Insight on February 22nd has been moved to the Linbury from the Clore Studio and lots more tickets have become available as a result.

If you want to brave the currently shaky booking system it's at https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/insights-music-staff-of-the-royal-ballet-details

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Reviving this thread because I think it's useful!

The "Behind the Scenes with Music Staff of The Royal Ballet" Insight on February 22nd has been moved to the Linbury from the Clore Studio and lots more tickets have become available as a result.

If you want to brave the currently shaky booking system it's at https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/insights-music-staff-of-the-royal-ballet-details

Thanks for this. Waiting to hear what my new seats will be but the ROH has other problems today. 

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

STREAM THE ROYAL BALLET IN REHEARSAL

Don’t miss! On 15 February, we are live streaming our sold-out insight event The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal on YouTube. Watch Royal Ballet dancers and coaches in action as they rehearse for performances on the Covent Garden stage.

Since this is a Friends event you may have to click through the original e-mail......