Jump to content

Royal Ballet School - spring intensive and summer school 2019


Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

So a little Facebook search showed a boy in Australia has a yes for summer! I had forgotten what the waiting was like for things - haven't done it for two years nearly since waiting for JA results!

 

I was surprised to read this as the summer school applications are still open so went to look and they have now changed this to say it is for the Spring course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't mind me asking, for those of you who got places and those on the waiting list, what level/grade ballet are your children or people you know of?  I'm thinking of putting in a last minute application for my DD but I'm not sure what level they are looking for.  If you'd rather PM, please do :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Newbiemum said:

When is the closing date for WL SS ? I can’t seem to find it on the website . TIA

I found it after spending ages looking.....20th....so reckoning end of month we hear. Spring have heard a week after closing date haven't they?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, leotardmum said:

We got a place for Hong Kong ! yay! we had white lodge  this year   and it was an  amazing experience for my daughter  - family trip coming up!x

 

Congratulations.... how old is your daughter? Mine is 14. Shes so happy to be going

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TwoLeftFeet said:

If you don't mind me asking, for those of you who got places and those on the waiting list, what level/grade ballet are your children or people you know of?  I'm thinking of putting in a last minute application for my DD but I'm not sure what level they are looking for.  If you'd rather PM, please do :)

DD had a "no" so not sure if this helps, but she is 14 and is hoping to take RAD Grade 6 and Intermediate next term. She's also an Associate (but never at RBS) and attended ENBS Summer School last year.

Edited by MAK
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tired dance mummy said:

My DD has been offered a place on the Spring Intensive.  She got waiting list for Summer School last year.  So absolutely delighted for her.

 

Brilliant news x Delighted for her and you! She’s going to have the most wonderful time x x 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TwoLeftFeet said:

If you don't mind me asking, for those of you who got places and those on the waiting list, what level/grade ballet are your children or people you know of?  I'm thinking of putting in a last minute application for my DD but I'm not sure what level they are looking for.  If you'd rather PM, please do :)

 My daughter just RAD adv found. Put in an application as you just dont know! Good luck

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/11/2018 at 06:14, Mouseys mum said:

Ballet Mummy28.... in London or Hong Kong?

how many dancers are in a class for those that have previously attended? Do you get a timetable closer to the time?

Not sure about Hong Kong but the classes at White Lodge Spring and Summer are quite large, around 28 girls. Boys taught separately. There is usually a half day settling in and the timetable is pinned to the noticeboards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest, how many of you put residential and how many not? DS would be 11 next summer and would prefer it if I stayed down there with him and took him each morning but I don’t want him to miss out on the social side? Wait and see I guess! 😄 Don’t envy them having to choose the participants! xx

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

MrsMoo - my ds loved the classes but also really enjoyed the residential side and made some great friends.  He really enjoyed the evenings and they had a disco etc and part of the experience for him was “sleeping over.”  That being said if your ds doesn’t want to board than that’s great too and he will have an amazing experience! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Facebook or Instagram post from someone in either Australia or New Zealand - saw it last week and now can't find it - announced their place at the RBS Spring Intensive in London.   It said that there were over 10,000 auditioning for places.  Surely this is incorrect and that applications can't have jumped from around 2,000 a year and is it not just photographs?  This reminds me of the thread a while back about over-egging competition/festival results.

 

It made me look at the annual reports and while the first report that will give data on spring applications has yet to be published it was interesting to look at the number of applicants for the previous summer intensives from overseas.  It is not surprising that they accept so many from overseas when they receive such a high proportion of applications from outwith the UK.

 

Well done to all those who have spring offers and good luck to those waiting for summer places.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Newdancermum said:

A Facebook or Instagram post from someone in either Australia or New Zealand - saw it last week and now can't find it - announced their place at the RBS Spring Intensive in London.   It said that there were over 10,000 auditioning for places.  Surely this is incorrect and that applications can't have jumped from around 2,000 a year and is it not just photographs?  This reminds me of the thread a while back about over-egging competition/festival results.

 

It made me look at the annual reports and while the first report that will give data on spring applications has yet to be published it was interesting to look at the number of applicants for the previous summer intensives from overseas.  It is not surprising that they accept so many from overseas when they receive such a high proportion of applications from outwith the UK.

 

Well done to all those who have spring offers and good luck to those waiting for summer places.

I saw it too and think it was from a students dance school when they announced their student had a placement.

 

if approx 2000 apply I think 278 got places between WL and HK last year so still very difficult to get a place

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mouseys mum said:

I saw it too and think it was from a students dance school when they announced their student had a placement.

 

if approx 2000 apply I think 278 got places between WL and HK last year so still very difficult to get a place

 

Good to hear I didn't imagine it.

 

The 2073 applications were for the summer school in 2017 (British 768 EU 754 Rest of the World 551) which was the first year they extended the summer school to fours weeks.  It said there were the highest number of dancers from 36 countries but I could see how many actually attended.

 

For the 2016 two week summer school there were 1716 applications (British 488 EU 696 Rest of the World 532) out of which 314 students from 61 countries were offered places.

 

It is difficult to compare data from one year to the next as the RBS Annual Reports do not seem to be presented in the same format.

 

Data on the 2018 spring and summer courses will be in the 2017/18 Annual Report.

 

Yes whatever way you look at it places are few and far between.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

Just read on fb post that they say we will hear by the Christmas holidays.

 

Good news for those waiting.  In previous years the whole process was later and the wait longer so looks like they are at least getting better organised under the new head for intensives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...