Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake, 2018-2019

A belated comment - I saw this in Wimbledon, for the first time since its première run. My main reaction was that the male swans are still so powerful, impressive and original, and that I would love to see them in a more serious and powerful context. I'm clearly not on Matthew Bourne's wavelength in terms of humour etc, and anyway I don't know why he feels the need to make fun of what are basically serious works. I can't take the serious story seriously if it's constantly undermined by light-hearted humour. It's as if he doesn't quite have the courage of his conviction - the real belief in his choreography that the male swans indicate he should have.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder that Swan Lake is at a cinema near you ( hopefully) TONIGHT . 

May 21st with Will Bozier as the Swan and Liam Mower as The Prince .

I’m going to the Vue North Finchley if anyone wants to meet up ? 

‪I saw the film of Sir Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake tonight. There were a few technical issues at the Vue North Finchley , the worst was not setting the aspect correctly so that all feet were cut off, however this was corrected. It was also too loud and too cold and I probably sat too close. ‬Those are the cons...here are the pros: Close up views ensured we could see the vulnerability and pathos in Liam Mower’s expressive face, the bliss when he ‘meets’ the Swans and the sheer agony when the Stranger rejects him. The wild feral strength of Will Bozier’s Swan and those enigmatic eyes which stare into your soul. Nicole Kabera’s icy Queen , with cut glass cheekbones and an inner glow whenever a handsome cadet was near.

The large group scenes of the Swans in Act2 and 4 and the Ballroom in Act 3 are filmed well and  from a view that is further back so you can see the entire stage properly and all the swan patterns .The film allows you to follow the story through the dance and the acting even if you are new to Swan Lake as my companion was. It’s not as emotionally satisfying as a live performance in my opinion but a tremendous record of this revised masterpiece and making it accessible to a much wider audience. 🦢 🦢 🦢

• Like 4

We saw a catchup screening this afternoon.  It's a while since I last saw it but, whatever Sir Matthew has done to it for this revised version, it made a much greater impression than any I recall previously.  The Principals were all excellent and the Company no less so.  In particular, the Act I and Act III equivalents seemed much sharper than I recall and the final bedroom scene was very powerfully put across.  A treat!

And being used to other streamed performances, I was slightly taken aback by the British Board of Film Censors certificate and no interval -  a real movie, indeed.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

It's been a long time since I posted here but I thought there might be some interest in how New Adventures is doing around the world. I caught the final show of Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake in Tokyo's Bunkamura Orchard Hall on Sunday. It was the first leg of their international tour and I am very lucky because this was the cast:

The Swan/The Stranger - Matthew Ball

The Prince - Dominic North

The Queen - Nicole Kabera

The Girlfriend - Katrina Lyndon

The Private Secretary - Glenn Graham

I was devastated that I had to miss the Royal Ballet last month but this made up for it (somewhat). This was actually my first time watching Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake; I'd been "saving it" for a live performance. It exceeded my highest expectations. It was also my first time watching Matthew Ball in a leading role. I was totally blown away. What a treat of an afternoon!

To be honest, I haven't loved every Matthew Bourne work I've watched. The antics on stage can occasionally veer a little into panto territory and the dancing sometimes fails to impress me. No worries about that here. I thought the choreography for the swans was inventive, moving, and obviously extremely exhausting… The bird-inspired physicality was fascinating. I loved it every time the swans were on, the first lakeside scene especially with its nods to the classical ballet. In other scenes, Bourne's strength as a dramatic storyteller really shines through. The first act with the Queen and the Prince going about their royal duties was so effective. Sometimes it was a touch too obvious, such as the Prince's repeated yearning gestures towards his mother, but no one can say it isn't crystal clear! I definitely understand why this has become a classic. It has humour and pathos at all the right moments.

Anyway, the show I watched was danced by a top-notch cast. Nicole Kabera and Katrina Lyndon fully embodied their characters and played off each other beautifully. Dominic North was a wonderful Prince, lonely and pitiful. I really felt for him and his solos had a lot of heart. But it was Matthew Ball's show: he's absolutely incendiary. As the Swan, he was totally animalistic and intriguing. A lot of that must be due to his incredible abilities as a dancer… He was a cut above the rest of the swans, I have to say. Every movement had so much power, precision, and attack. As the Stranger, he was utterly magnetic. He completely commanded the stage and it was hard to watch the national dances when I kept letting my eyes wander to see what he was getting up to at the edges of the ballroom.

The audience loved it as much as I did. Immediate standing ovation and a massive crowd at the stage door, where the venue staff kept telling us not to push forwards and to be a little quieter! The entire company came out to autograph programmes and let us take photos. (Although I was gutted to hear that Matthew Bourne was already in China.) When Matthew Ball came out last, everyone went crazy but he gracefully went around and signed, smiled, and posed for everyone. I honestly feel so lucky that I was able to see him in this role, especially since it's the last time he's scheduled to dance it in the foreseeable future (from what I understand).

A funny picture from the stage door to end with.

Thank you so much for a perfect afternoon, New Adventures!

• Like 10

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

This message (plus much more) popped into my inbox a couple of days ago:

"Dear friends, 

Today is a very special anniversary as our iconic production of Swan Lake turns 25, and I’m so happy to be celebrating this milestone with all of you. When we first premiered this show on 9th November 1995 at Sadler’s Wells with Adam Cooper as the Swan/Stranger and the late Scott Ambler as The Prince, none of us could have predicted the instant phenomenon it would become. In the years that followed it would take us to the West End, Broadway and around the world several times over picking up Oliviers and Tony Awards along the way and becoming the longest ever ballet to play in the West End or New York.

I know that this show holds a special place in the hearts of many New Adventures fans, so this week on our socials we will be taking a look back at some of the most iconic moments of the past 25 years, and talking to our dancers about the their time with Swan Lake. Plus, to mark the occasion, I’m thrilled to announce that we will be creating some limited-edition silver Swan pin badges – find out how to get your hands on one below.

I hope everyone is staying safe and well in lockdown.

Enjoy this trip down memory lane."

There's also a timeline on the website:

https://new-adventures.net/timeline/matthew-bournes-swan-lake-timeline?year=slug_1995

And

"Make sure you tune in to our social channels this week to watch our special talking heads films with some of the cast of Swan Lake over the years. Hear what the show means to your favourite company dancers, and how it has impacted their careers.

Follow us on Instagram to see the videos when they're released or catch up on YouTube!"