Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake, 2018-2019

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vanartus said:

nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! please get well by jan 2....

Max Westwell was superb so don't want to take anything away from his performance but it's always slightly disappointing when you don't get to see the reason you booked. I'm taking a friend at the end of the run so am praying Ball will be better by then! 

• Like 1

Me too...and I imagine there are many of us who were so looking forward to seeing Matthew Ball in this role.

A big shame to lose him from RB and then not see him in this either! A much bigger shame for him. All the best to Matthew for a fast recovery....

• Like 5

Matthew has sustained a knee injury.  It isn't too serious but he is receiving treatment for it and hopes to be back as soon as possible, but only when he can dance without the risk of exacerbating the injury.  Currently this looks to be at some point in the New Year, before the end of the Sadlers Wells run.  

I am gutted that I won't be seeing him on Sunday night, and wish him a full and speedy recovery.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, RuthE said:

Gahhhhh. I am meant to be there tomorrow (I’ve never seen it before and was only tempted to book because of Matthew Ball). Perhaps I won’t rush away from my family gathering after all.

Ruth if you've never seen this Swan Lake before you really should still go.  This latest revival has brought a new freshness to an already fabulous telling of Swan Lake that really makes it unmissable.  I've seen it on every run since its premiere in 1995 and couldn't conceive missing it!

• Like 2

On 29/12/2018 at 08:58, RuthE said:

Yeah, I just don’t like Sadlers Wells very much because of bad audience behaviour which the venue does little to discourage, so it’s rare that I want to see something enough to make myself go!

I like the rake in the stalls but today I witnessed bad audience behaviour in the form of the family behind me.  There were quite a few young children at this afternoon’s matinée, which surprised me despite regular sightings of small children being taken to most unsuitable ballets at the ROH.  The Mother of said children behind me either hadn’t checked which version of Swan Lake was being performed or she hadn’t bothered to explain the story because as well as constant chomping, chewing, slurping and chair kicking 😡 we had incessant whispered questions about where the lady swan was, what was happening, “is it the end yet” and so on.  In Act IV when the medical staff seem to be administering Electric Shock therapy we had more questions.  Oddly enough the children seemed to enjoy the performance because when the cast received well deserved cheers, the child behind me was squealing and screaming almost in my ear.  

Anyhow.  Neither my daughter nor I had ever seen MB’s Swan Lake before and even the annoying family couldn’t spoil it for us. I had booked access seats before casting was released so although we would have loved to see Matthew Ball as the Swan, we had Max Westwell and he was just terrific.  Incredibly strong and masculine and the contrast between his physique and Dominic North’s slim, almost fragile Prince made their PDDs even more moving.  They had amazing chemistry; understated in the beautiful white act in the park but it grew and grew through Acts 3 and 4.  

I deliberately didn’t watch the DVD so was surprised how wonderfully comic the ballet is in parts.  This made the Prince’s sorrow and the final Act even more moving somehow and I was in tears at the end; much more emotional than I ever am at the end of the traditional production.  Absolutely wonderful performances all round but the Swans, Dominic North and Max Westwell got a hugely deserved standing ovation from many people.  An afternoon to remember! 

• Like 5

Very much enjoyed the first half tonight. Unfortunately had to leave in the interval due to a family emergency.

It’s been a long time since I last saw the production and understand there have been some updates but had forgotten about all of the funny bits.. Liam Mower was truly excellent as the prince and was the star for me tonight - although only have half the show to go on.  Having expected originally to see Matthew Ball as the Swan, Will Bozier did not quite fit the bill for me- not enough spring in his jumps. Otherwise, loved the more masculine and contemporary swan interpretation - so different to the classical swans yet still felt true to their form.  The hissing helped too...

The swans dancers were all working exceptionally hard as they were absolutely glistening with sweat!!

Edited by Blossom

Ouch, I completely forgot about my Swan Lake ticket tonight, just coincidentally spotted the eticket when I checked which SFB tickets I had booked this morning. Phew. It's Bozier instead of Ball tonight, pretty chuffed that I get to see a cast different from the other ticket I booked.

• Like 1

I’ve seen Will Bozier and Liam Mower twice now, they are superb together. They both truly inhabit their characters.

I had the unexpected pleasure of sitting next to Sir Matthew last night. Quite by chance I assure you all .He and his assistant Pia Driver take meticulous notes, always aware of small tweaks they have noticed, always wanting to improve and nurture the performance. Such care and attention to detail is one reason I go back again and again to see this Swan Lake. It gets under your skin and grows in your heart! Although it is sold out online there are often returns so worth calling the box office to check. 

PS worth looking on Twitter ( new adventures) to see casting update... however as Sim said ..Matt Ball is hoping to perform the Swan  later this month , if recovered.

Edited by Mandy Kent
To add info
  • Like 7

28 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

Trying to find update on cast for tonight but neither Bourne or SW website is helping...I’m probably doing something wrong...

It was Bozier last night so probably Westwell tonight.

Unfortunately,  Will Bozier didn't 'do it' for me at all in either his dancing or his acting. The Swan/Stranger needs to be an artist who can 'carry' a show - and he couldn't for me.  Liam Mower was a wonderful Prince and Katrina Lyndon excelled as the 'girlfriend'.

I didn't spot where the ballet had "been refreshed for the new century" but I did wish that some sequences weren't so repetitive.

• Like 1

Some of the changes include:

the animation / video of the Swan during the overture and also after the Swank club when the Swan Vesta swan comes to ‘life’.

new costumes ( much glitzier) in the Swank Club

A change in the reaction between the Stranger and the Private secretary at the end of Act 3 

Im sure there are many more ! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

So does anybody know who will be taking Balls place on Friday? 

I’m guessing it’ll be Will Bozier as Max Westwell is dancing tonight in Ball’s place  and then  tomorrow and also Saturday as “himself”. Bozier is due to dance both the matinees at the weekend so if Ball is not back on Sunday evening, Westwell will need to step in for that performance. If Westwell dances Friday that would be five days on the trot without a break on top of a pretty intense week of performing between Christmas and New Year. 

• Like 1

I may try to get a ticket for the very last performance then on the Sunday matinee ...the only weekend can be in London in January.

But I'm not sure....whether seeing Ball in this will make a difference as I only partially warmed to this when saw it on Friday.....with Bozier and Mower. Though am definitely in the minority as people in the First Circle gave it a standing ovation!!

Im not sure with these standing ovations whether people stand up because they really think the performance deserved it or whether they have to because otherwise they cannot see the dancers on the stage taking their curtain call because of the people in front of them standing up!! 

Ive left the Programme in London and cannot get it till Wednesday so may comment more them though my very first moan is that I spent £6 on a programme which has no details anywhere of the plot.

Well of course I do know the plot ...of the original... but I would like to have seen what Bourne had to say about the exact settings and storyline of his ballet. It just gave the scenes and Acts but no synopsis. 

Anyway I was really looking forward to this but left feeling vaguely disappointed.

16 hours ago, Thalia said:

Some rearrangement of casting has been announced on Twitter for this week. If you’re going along to see someone in particular it might be worth checking. 

https://twitter.com/new_adventures/status/1082304391422578688?s=21

Thank you for posting - at least I know now.  I've booked for Matthew Ball twice and am now disappointed twice.  I have a ticket for the 10th - the only day he is NOT dancing (sigh)

Hi LinMM, I haven't posted about this since I saw it on 30th December but until you just posted this I thought I was the only person who just didn't really get it!   (It was the first and only live MB show I've ever seen, though I did catch part of his Sleeping Beauty on TV.) I liked the idea of the Swan representing the Prince's desire for freedom, but (especially in Act 3) I found the plot really difficult to follow.  Interesting to find when I looked on Wikipedia afterwards that that's the act that seems to have been most substantially revised since the premiere.  I hadn't had any idea that the Private Secretary(?) was the Rothbart character, and didn't realise there WAS a Rothbart character and found it very confusing without one.

• Like 2