Tring Park Funding

Danceroo

My dd is year 5 and we are looking at secondary schools this autumn to apply for in year 6. We are not too far from Tring and she would love to audition for a year 7 place in the future. I have been looking at their website regarding funding and I hope someone could clarify some points for me please. Firstly is there a difference between a scholarship and an MDS award and if so is the scholarship means tested? Does anyone know at what income bracket either funding would be capped? How many scholarships or awards are given out every year? Are scholarships given for dance purely? I know there is only a very slim chance but I wanted to be totally clear about the costs involved before we went any further. My dd wants to audition for associate classes and the CBA so that is something else to focus on in the mean time. Thanks

Ok. Well first and foremost its best to ask the school direct about this- especially scholarships which I think are more for musical theatre but couldn't swear to it. And I don't know what they are worth anyway!

MDS is means tested. If you go to Royal Ballet School website and click on the auditions part of the site you will see a section at the top of the page labelled fees and ffinancial assistance. This page has a table on it illustrating the amounts payable per level of income. so for example if you earn less than a few thousand you don't pay anything but if you are earning hundreds of thousands you have no financial assistance!

Obviously the table is a guide to fees only. Tring are far more generous with the MDS award than RBS in that it awards a clothing allowance,music lessons and health insurance too.

• Like 1

Yes, as far as I know Tring only has MDS places for the Dance Course, but has a few scholarships for Theatre Arts (the lower school Musical Theatre course).

It should be remembered though that Tring has far fewer MDS places than Royal Ballet School!

Thank you both for being so helpful. The RBS website is a great source of information isn't it! I think I will go to the Tring open Day in October without dd so I can have a better look. She has done both the summer and Easter school there before which she loved.

It is a huge financial commitment isn't it. We have 3 children which makes it even harder and more improbable too!

• Like 1