Geoff

The "new" Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

37 minutes ago, alison said:

It's occurred to me, after a total of 3 trips to the place, that -- barring the new Linbury season - I didn't really see any literature around anywhere.  

I got the feeling that some signage and 'poster-boards' were not yet in place. You're right, we could have been anywhere (for the most part, not even in a theatre). They need to put out some tempting bait.

You could be right, capybara.  OTOH, they have already signalled their intention to become rather more paperless by doing away with the booking brochures.  I'm sure we will see some more tweaks being made as we get into the autumn season.

I notice the pre-show box office in the Bow Street entrance was still there at the weekend.  Perhaps that's deliberate?

• Like 1

Was there a competition to see how many pillars you can add to an auditorium? The new linbury looks very...pillary 

ETA: The brown and purple combo makes the theatre look the closest to puce the 21st century might get outside of  some NHS waiting rooms. 

Edited by Coated
  • Like 1

On 20/09/2018 at 08:10, JohnS said:

Thanks Richard - it is a mess.  If you click on a DVD in any of the pages for productions or dancers it takes you to the collections page where there's no simple way of getting to what is of interest.  Good luck with your complaint!

I have had this reply from the ROH: 

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry about the new layout design, we are working to fix an issue with the filters on the recording pages as you should be able to select opera or ballet and recording type. I can send you an email once this is done as it will be easier to browse this way. I will forward your email to our online time about the search issues too
Sorry again for the inconvenience caused.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2018 at 19:10, Yaffa said:

The seating can ......... disappear completely at the touch of a button

That should make for a quicker audience turnaround 

• Like 5

I haven't seen the building yet, but the new website home page is a mess. Huge graphics that are slow to load, and almost no information provided about the ROH. The only Menu options = Account (which for a lot of people isn't going to be relevant and even for those who have an account it's not necessarily relevant at this stage), Basket (not relevant at this stage for anyone), and Search (which brings up a horribly basic search screen). None of it seems to fit on my laptop screen (which is probably intentional - no doubt it's meant to be edgy and interesting; in fact it's just messy). Clicking on 'Find an Event' brings you to the old page of productions (which as before initially only shows those in the autumn booking period, so for those who don't know about the ROH's labyrinthine booking arrangements they'll wonder why there's nothing showing in the much-touted new Linbury). This home page clearly doesn't know who it's aiming at  and what it wants to tell them. It doesn't work for newcomers and it doesn't work for regulars either.

• Like 8

Bridiem I agree it is messy, but there are  more options than you seem to have found, as MENU itself is clickable and leads to  the familiar menu of: 

What's on / Your visit/ Eat & Drink/ Shop/ News/ Learning/ Support us/ About  --- each of which lead in turn to the original pages (apart from Shop which has the problems previously identified).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I haven't seen the building yet, but the new website home page is a mess. Huge graphics that are slow to load, and almost no information provided about the ROH. The only Menu options = Account (which for a lot of people isn't going to be relevant and even for those who have an account it's not necessarily relevant at this stage), Basket (not relevant at this stage for anyone), and Search (which brings up a horribly basic search screen). None of it seems to fit on my laptop screen (which is probably intentional - no doubt it's meant to be edgy and interesting; in fact it's just messy). Clicking on 'Find an Event' brings you to the old page of productions (which as before initially only shows those in the autumn booking period, so for those who don't know about the ROH's labyrinthine booking arrangements they'll wonder why there's nothing showing in the much-touted new Linbury). This home page clearly doesn't know who it's aiming at  and what it wants to tell them. It doesn't work for newcomers and it doesn't work for regulars either.

If you click on MENU you get the familiar menu

ROH menu.PNG

• Like 2

Snap !

I am trying to avoid the new front page  as much as possible by using bookmarks to link directly  to the main pages I tend to look at. 

Edited by Richard LH

5 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Bridiem I agree it is messy, but there are  more options than you seem to have found, as MENU itself is clickable and leads to  the familiar menu of: 

What's on / Your visit/ Eat & Drink/ Shop/ News/ Learning/ Support us/ About  --- each of which lead in turn to the original pages (apart from Shop which has the problems previously identified).

Thanks, Richard LH - I see that now. Though since MENU is in caps above items in uc/lc, I don't think it's at all clear that it's a link itself - it looks simply like a heading.

• Like 2

I agree with bridiem - it's only since Richard LH's and bangorballetboy's posts that I appreciated that 'menu' was a link.  It's a great shame because I think there's a cleaner webdesign that complements Open Up somewhere in the ether.  Hopefully it will soon be fully available and functioning.

• Like 1

Have just ordered snacks for the intervals in The Ring and am slightly alarmed to see that they are called 'takeaways'! Not sure where I'm supposed to eat them - probably no space in the PH bar, can't take them into the theatre, too old and creaky to sit on  the floor. Seems as though the new idea of openness will exclude those attending performances.

Pleased to report that as far as I could see all the seats in the revamped Clore are proper seats with backs, and there no longer appears to be a legroom problem in the back row :) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Have just ordered snacks for the intervals in The Ring and am slightly alarmed to see that they are called 'takeaways'! Not sure where I'm supposed to eat them - probably no space in the PH bar, can't take them into the theatre, too old and creaky to sit on  the floor. Seems as though the new idea of openness will exclude those attending performances.

Likewise struggling with Mayerling.  Ah, the joys of inclusivity...

36 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

What are you struggling with?

The "theatre" areas, including the Paul Hamlyn Hall, the Crush Room and the Amphi Bar (and Level 5 Restaurant, as it now called) will not be open to non-ticket-holders when there's a performance on.

56 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Perhaps, just perhaps, inclusivity may persuade non-ballet/opera goers to give it a whirl and go to a performance.

Long live inclusivity!!!!

I am sure the ROH will be more than aware of the needs of the people who are going to watch a performance.

• Like 2

Yesterday between 5.00pm and 7.00pm, while bridging there between ENB and the Mayerling Insight, the Foyer was occupied mainly by familiar faces sitting chatting. There were two business meetings in progress and several people on their PCs. Very few were buying anything.

The range of snacks available was very poor. Whereas the Amphi Bar had sandwiches at the weekend, no such luck in the Foyer. Instead, no surprise (!), people were eating sandwiches from Pret and EAT. Also, the servery is so hidden away that several people were asking for directions to it. A bit of tweaking needed, I think.

6 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Perhaps, just perhaps, inclusivity may persuade non-ballet/opera goers to give it a whirl and go to a performance.

Long live inclusivity!!!!

I am sure the ROH will be more than aware of the needs of the people who are going to watch a performance.

Oh guys, do stop jumping all over me because I take a contrary view.  I can take it but it is noticeable...and somewhat tedious.

Yes, newcomers may decide to sample the wares but is ROH desperately in need of more visitors?  It is always full when I am there.  I am extremely pro new people cottoning on to ballet and opera and, in my modest way, do my best by bringing friends who haven't had the experience before.  Equally, however, given the enormous prices and general cost of a trip to ROH by us out-of-towners, I have no problem saying I don't want my experience diluted by even bigger crowds.  Totally un-PC, I know, but... Not aware of finding football stadiums flinging open their doors to attract a non-ticket audience other than for their shops.

I think Capybara's post above rather makes my point.  Shouldn't you jump in.....?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

What are you struggling with?

The "theatre" areas, including the Paul Hamlyn Hall, the Crush Room and the Amphi Bar (and Level 5 Restaurant, as it now called) will not be open to non-ticket-holders when there's a performance on.

I refer the honourable Box Office Member to NinaMargaret's post above.

The things I'm most looking forward to are entering and exiting by the Piazza door again, and being able to sit down somewhere as soon as I arrive!

Does anyone know when "daytime" ends and "evening"  menus start at the Level 5 amphi bar? I suppose I'm going to have to buy a drink in order to get out onto the terrace the first time at least, in this case I will be going on to SW in the evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

Oh guys, do stop jumping all over me because I take a contrary view.  I can take it but it is noticeable...and somewhat tedious.

Yes, newcomers may decide to sample the wares but is ROH desperately in need of more visitors?  It is always full when I am there.  I am extremely pro new people cottoning on to ballet and opera and, in my modest way, do my best by bringing friends who haven't had the experience before.  Equally, however, given the enormous prices and general cost of a trip to ROH by us out-of-towners, I have no problem saying I don't want my experience diluted by even bigger crowds.  Totally un-PC, I know, but... Not aware of finding football stadiums flinging open their doors to attract a non-ticket audience other than for their shops.

I think Capybara's post above rather makes my point.  Shouldn't you jump in.....?

I'm an out-of-towner too.  If I come for a matinee, as well as the train fare it costs me 2 nights kennelling for my dog.  The same but with the extra cost of a hotel for an evening performance.

I absolutely love the buzz of a full theatre, including public areas!  What I don't like is people making it sound that the ROH is an elite venue when it is anything but!

• Like 7

Just come across another glitch on the ROH website. If you are looking at the People page for some background information about a member of the Royal Ballet, you had better just be looking for a Principal or a Jett Parker Young Artists because there are no other levels of dancers listed! http://www.roh.org.uk/people

Instead, you have to go to the 'old' Royal Ballet pages and follow the link in the menu for Dancers to find everyone else.

32 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

However the Jetta Parker artists are listed on this page!!!

Why the Jette Parker and not the Aud Jebsen young dancers??  How bizarre.

1 hour ago, Anna C said:

Why the Jette Parker and not the Aud Jebsen young dancers??  How bizarre.

I think they just missed out the whole of the middle sections when they were updating the new pages. I imagine there are more glitches around and someone will have a very red face once  they get round to following up the various complaints.

• Like 1

Notification of a possible small improvement in searching the online shop...new Art Form and Format filters.

Dear Richard,

The filters are now online, so you can browse the recordings by Opera / Ballet and also by format. Our developers will be looking into the functionality in more detail including the search facility but for now I hope this helps:

https://shop.roh.org.uk/collections/recordings

• Like 1

I'm sorry to report some very negative comments from friends who have been sitting in the Amphi for The Ring Cycle:

• toilet areas not cleaned/tidied before performance time, with wastepaper baskets overflowing, paper towels on the floor and some toilets blocked
  • general mess from eating not cleared away from tables
  • nowhere to sit/stand comfortably before curtain up or  in the intervals because non-ticket holders are occupying all the spaces
  • audible signals re. the end of an interval not clear out on the terrace (and visual signals missing as most occupants are not attending the opera)
  • more audience members than usual opting to stay in their seats during intervals because of the above issues.

I have also heard many expressions of concern about safety and security and that the toilets seem to have become the 'public' ones for the whole Covent Garden area.

But, a nice touch..................... Dancers using the foyer as a place to join up with friends/family and have business meetings.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

On 19/09/2018 at 08:27, Nicola H said:

Tuxedo is a US american  Vulgarism for  'black tie'  / dinner jacket  ...

"vulgarism"? give me a break! do we really need this snobbish, gratuitous anti (North) American attitude on balletcoforum?

• Like 1