The "new" Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

On the plus side, I just went on to the site for a quick look- and agree entirely with the posts above- but then inadvertently found myself in a queue to buy tickets for the new Linbury season, (v odd) and decided on the spur of the moment to get some for the New Works, and it all happened in a flash! with no problems. It will be fun to see new works with new music in the 'new' theatre- we hope.

The reason I asked about the Bow St entrance was, that I am taking a young relative for the first time to Nutcracker,  and I want to show him the grand, traditional experience I have always enjoyed so much ( since my first visit in 1970)  of going in at Bow St and up the red plush stairs- and then, more often than not, wending my way to the cheaper seats. But it is a thrilling, wonderful place I would hate to lose. I am passing on the experience to  the 3rd generation of my family as passed on to me by my mother. And ROH are very much mistaken if they think the young and less than wealthy do not enjoy this side of the theatre.

• Like 10

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Yes,  another huge glitch, it seems.  This was the reply to one dissatisfied customer about the Swan Lake digital programme, nearly 3 months ago....

Mel Spencer (Senior Editor (Social Media)) responded on 2 July 2018 at 3:00pm

Hi Alex,

Sorry for the frustrating experience. Unfortunately we are having ongoing issues with our digital programmes and the Swan Lake programme isn't available. We are working to fix the issue but it make be a slightly longer fix than we expected.

Apologies once again.

Mel

And the latest update from ROH, just received...the dreaded "essential security update" is apparently to blame....heigh ho...

Our apologies for the problem that you are experiencing in accessing our digital programmes. The difficulties were caused by an essential security update to our website, which has had unexpected technical consequences, resulting in the inability to display the content of the Digital Programmes.  Unfortunately, the issue is proving very challenging to fix but our Web Development Team expect to have the Digital Programmes re-instated by mid-November.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you.

1 hour ago, Mary said:

On the plus side, I just went on to the site for a quick look- and agree entirely with the posts above- but then inadvertently found myself in a queue to buy tickets for the new Linbury season, (v odd) and decided on the spur of the moment to get some for the New Works, and it all happened in a flash! with no problems. It will be fun to see new works with new music in the 'new' theatre- we hope.

Hope you enjoy it, Mary... I have gone for the Dutch Masters (Introdans) in the new Linbury in March, which looks fun as well.

I am interested to hear about exhibition space. The Press Release mentions an exhibition of costumes - I hope that this is a permanent feature with a constantly changing selection along the lines that you can find at the RSC in Stratford. Similarly with photographs. Whenever I see documentaries that feature the rehearsal rooms and corridors at the Opera house, I long to get a closer look of the many photos that line the walls. There are so many excellent photographers whose work would be lovely to feature in special exhibitions.

• Like 4

Regarding allowing non ticket holders into the building during the day, broadly speaking I have no problem with this.  There have been times when I have wanted to linger over the photos or costume exhibitions, but haven't had the time during a performance after queueing for the loos.   I like the idea of being able to wander in during the day, and just soak up the atmosphere of a beautiful building.  Not sure about the increased restaurant space.  I would imagine that the number of people not attending a performance who want to eat rather indifferent food at vastly inflated prices would be quite small.

But I assume they will not be allowed in to the building in the evenings?  Seating is in extremely short supply, I don't want to see it taken up by people who have popped in to pick up their email!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fonty said:

Regarding allowing non ticket holders into the building during the day, broadly speaking I have no problem with this.  There have been times when I have wanted to linger over the photos or costume exhibitions, but haven't had the time during a performance after queueing for the loos.   I like the idea of being able to wander in during the day, and just soak up the atmosphere of a beautiful building.  Not sure about the increased restaurant space.  I would imagine that the number of people not attending a performance who want to eat rather indifferent food at vastly inflated prices would be quite small.

But I assume they will not be allowed in to the building in the evenings?  Seating is in extremely short supply, I don't want to see it taken up by people who have popped in to pick up their email!

I don't know the answer to this, but I think I have said before that I would like to see it run along the lines of the Wales Millennium Centre, where there is a space at ground level which is open to the public at all times, but the majority of the building is restricted for use by ticket-holders only from an hour before a performance.

• Like 3

The Café prices are rather eye watering; £4.00 for hot chocolate and almost as much for apple juice. 😳

I had a quick look at the online shop which at present is disappointing.  I didn't dare hope that they'd bring the ballet production posters back and indeed, there is no sign of them.   There's now a complete lack of what I used to call the "teenage" range - notebooks, folders, greeting cards and so on with photos of RB dancers on.  Dd had a lovely A4 wallet with (IIRC) Olivia Cowley on.  I can't see anything like that online; maybe the actual shop will have a larger range.....🤔

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Regarding allowing non ticket holders into the building during the day, broadly speaking I have no problem with this.  There have been times when I have wanted to linger over the photos or costume exhibitions, but haven't had the time during a performance after queueing for the loos.   I like the idea of being able to wander in during the day, and just soak up the atmosphere of a beautiful building. 

But you've been able to do that for years, Fonty!

I'm wondering whether, due to the reduced amphi terrace space, more patrons are going to want to sit in the "public" bits during the intervals.  I guess that will have to be played by ear.

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

I don't know the answer to this, but I think I have said before that I would like to see it run along the lines of the Wales Millennium Centre, where there is a space at ground level which is open to the public at all times, but the majority of the building is restricted for use by ticket-holders only from an hour before a performance.

Yes, this space works really well- but I imagine that even with the Open Up initiative the ROH space will be smaller -hopefully, I will be proved wrong.

On 20/09/2018 at 02:35, Richard LH said:

Looking a bit more closely  though, they HAVE  messed up the online shop. For DVDs or Blu Ray you have to scroll through  about 34 pages, listed  under "Recordings and Books" unless you put in a specific "Search" for what you already think  you might want. They have removed the useful way of refinining your browsing  for what is available e.g. by title,  artist, or choreographer. I am going to complain!

I'm also wondering whether anyone has noticed that they took down a lot of ballet DVD classics from the online shop. To name a few, I can't find any of these:

Fonteyn's Sleeping Beauty

Fonteyn's Cinderella

Dowell&Penney's Manon

Irek&Vivianna's Mayerling

Alina's Giselle

The MacMillan Classics Collection with The Prince of Pagodas DVD which contains a wonderful documentary on Kenneth MacMillan

I'm wondering if ROH has decided to not sell ballet DVD classics any more or it's just a technical glitch with the new version of the website. If it's the former,  I'm wondering what made them think that these DVDs are not in demand anymore...

• Like 1

I dropped into the ROH to see the new quarters that have been opened ... LOVED THE HANGING SERIES WITH THE COMMITTED PAIRING OF RICHARDSON AND SISSENS viewable both on the way up and down from the Amphi escalator - and also went into the Linbury Theatre.  The wood will definitely make a difference with the acoustic.  For the less well heeled BcoF members the standing room has - as you know - been greatly reduced and so is only on the extreme sides of the upper level and you stand on a raised platform behind seats with - from my perspective- a good third of the stage cut off AT BEST - and that is with no one sitting/leaning forward from the seat below.  (Think lower slips standing.)  A very nice man said that the side seats would be made 'afforable' - he kindly suggested £10 - 'but' he said, 'it would depend on the show'.  Time will tell.  

10 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

.....  For the less well heeled BcoF members the standing room has - as you know - been greatly reduced and so is only on the extreme sides of the upper level and you stand on a raised platform behind seats with - from my perspective- a good third of the stage cut off AT BEST - and that is with no one sitting/leaning forward from the seat below.  (Think lower slips standing.)  A very nice man said that the side seats would be made 'afforable' - he kindly suggested £10 - 'but' he said, 'it would depend on the show'.  Time will tell.  

There are also a handful of standing places at the back of the circle. Probably also dependent on patrons in front, and view is obstructed by overhanging ceiling - I'm hoping that will only affect shows with trapeze artists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Erica said:

May I ask why is this Topic under “Performances seen & general discussions”? Shouldn’t it be underBallet / Dance news & information”? 

Further to BBB's reply, the ROH isn't only about ballet and dance;  it is also about opera, and as this thread is about the common areas and the Linbury refurbishment, it is not about ballet and dance information per se.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, alison said:

But you've been able to do that for years, Fonty!

I'm wondering whether, due to the reduced amphi terrace space, more patrons are going to want to sit in the "public" bits during the intervals.  I guess that will have to be played by ear.

Yes, I know, Alison, I've done it many times.  I think my post was slightly ambiguous,  I hope the publicity in the press will encourage new people to wander in and have a look.

14 hours ago, yvonnep said:

I'm also wondering whether anyone has noticed that they took down a lot of ballet DVD classics from the online shop. To name a few, I can't find any of these:

Fonteyn's Sleeping Beauty

Fonteyn's Cinderella

Dowell&Penney's Manon

Irek&Vivianna's Mayerling

Alina's Giselle

The MacMillan Classics Collection with The Prince of Pagodas DVD which contains a wonderful documentary on Kenneth MacMillan

I'm wondering if ROH has decided to not sell ballet DVD classics any more or it's just a technical glitch with the new version of the website. If it's the former,  I'm wondering what made them think that these DVDs are not in demand anymore...

At least some of these titles and more are available in the shop.....and if you go right this second Vadim is on display in Floral Street (probably on his lunch break) 🙂

• Like 1

Earlier in the thread there was mention of a feature on one of the news slots - can't remember when or where, but I didn't come across it. I was fully expecting there would be quite a lot of coverage on the news channels and possible a feature  on The One Show. it really brings home to me how niche ballet and opera are considered to be nowadays.

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Earlier in the thread there was mention of a feature on one of the news slots - can't remember when or where, but I didn't come across it. I was fully expecting there would be quite a lot of coverage on the news channels and possible a feature  on The One Show. it really brings home to me how niche ballet and opera are considered to be nowadays.

There was a short feature on BBC1's The One Show yesterday.

its very beige - they looking to sell up soon or something?  😉

saying that, generally like the new layout, with a couple of provisos. After all that refit (especially the shop area), why did they hang out to that dreadful revolving door at the piazza entrance? Also, looks like you have to go on a bit of a mission to pop to the facilities if attending a performance in the Linbury. Which looks lovely, but those stairways look as much of a bottleneck as ever they were previously. So unless you're suitably positioned at the periphery, staying put at the interval going to be plan 'a'. Don't think much of the standing places either. NO ticket office? What madness is this? And not sure the staff canteen look inside the main entrance is a good one either. The Amphi bar area looks terrific though, even if I'm losing 'our spot' as a result. I'm sure we'll find another 🙂

• Like 2

Well, on a first viewing I have very mixed feelings about the redevelopment.  More later when I have time, I guess.

Is the ticket office going to carry on being stuck on the corner of Russell Street, or have I missed something?  Perhaps ticket sales, and knowledgeable staff, are deemed less important than a shop and café?

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

its very beige - they looking to sell up soon or something?  😉

saying that, generally like the new layout, with a couple of provisos. After all that refit (especially the shop area), why did they hang out to that dreadful revolving door at the piazza entrance? Also, looks like you have to go on a bit of a mission to pop to the facilities if attending a performance in the Linbury. Which looks lovely, but those stairways look as much of a bottleneck as ever they were previously. So unless you're suitably positioned at the periphery, staying put at the interval going to be plan 'a'. Don't think much of the standing places either. NO ticket office? What madness is this? And not sure the staff canteen look inside the main entrance is a good one either. The Amphi bar area looks terrific though, even if I'm losing 'our spot' as a result. I'm sure we'll find another 🙂

I had a look round the new facilities this morning, including the ladies loos in the Linbury. There shouldn’t be much queuing for them as there are masses of them and self flushing! Gave me quite a shock. A lovely exhibition on Swan Lake with photos from the Fonteyn and Somes up to the latest production and includes some of SWRB I’m pleased to see. Interesting watching the Faces film in the Linbury. The three dancers featured looked like paintings before they began to move. Apparently they haven’t quite finished the Linbury yet one of the guides showing people around said. Overall very impressed though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

I had a look round the new facilities this morning, including the ladies loos in the Linbury. There shouldn’t be much queuing for them as there are masses of them and self flushing! 

Unfortunately those ladies' loos are not just for the Linbury.  They're also for the patrons attending ballet and opera in the main auditorium.   Unless they somehow manage to stagger the intervals,  the queues are likely to be horrendous!

• Like 1