The "new" Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

10 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Same system at all theatres it seems now. Cheer up, we just live in the age of equality!

Funnily enough, Ninamargaret, I don't think we do.  The common sense/politeness quotient that used to underwrite so much of life seems to have disappeared in favour of slogans.  Those who don't use the internet are vastly discriminated against as are the elderly or even halfway elderly who are routinely accused of having eaten all the pies.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I arrived on Thursday afternoon I had my ticket in my hand and my bag open ready to be checked.  I was just waved through.  This was through the new glass carbuncle entrance on Bow Street.

I've had different experiences in different theatres recently - no bag checks at The Lowry, rudimentary bag and ticket checks at Leeds Grand and Birmingham Hippodrome.

My first experience of the new building was on Thursday for the matinee.  Apologies if I am repeating the same points as everyone else. 

I never use the front entrance as , I always come straight from the tube to the revolving doors in the Covent Garden piazza.  My first thought when I went through was airport lounge.  This was reinforced by the fact that It was packed with people who seemed to have huge suitcases with them. The tables were littered with debris - plastic cups, discarded food wrappers, plastic cutlery, the free newspapers handed out at stations.  I didn't even notice the cloakroom, went right past to the main front entrance, and had to ask a helpful lady where it was now. 

Then I tried to follow the signs to the Ladies toilet, only to have them vanish en route.  The same helpful lady pointed me in the right direction.  I asked her to show me the signs, thinking I must have missed them, and  she said there weren't any.  We both agreed it was confusing. When I came out of the loo, I found myself in a completely unfamiliar area, which I assume is the new Linbury?  It was empty, apart from someone eating a sandwich in the distance, and I was completely baffled.  So I trooped back through the crowds in the loo to try the other exit, and eventually ended up in the right place.  Are there signs that I missed?  

I can't remember whether we had our tickets checked, I don't think we did.  During the interval we went up to inspect the amphitheatre.  To be honest, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I did wonder why on earth so much money has apparently been spent in order to achieve very little.   Was it really necessary to remove the wall between the restaurant and the bar?  What was that supposed to achieve?  If the plan was to try and make it an up market dining experience, it has failed miserably.  The whole thing really does feel like the sort of temporary spot you would go to grab a seat before catching a train or plane. 

Getting my coat at the end of the performance was tricky.  One lady stood waving her arms and shouting, to point out where the end of the queue was.  This was not obvious, as there were so many tables in the way.  After joining the end of the queue, I then went steadily backwards, as people popped up everywhere and just shoved their way in.  The poor staff behind the counter were trying to install some order by raising their voices, but frankly it was not a pleasant experience for either those standing, or the people who might actually have purchased some of the food and drink available .  And I thought, "What idiot came up with this arrangement?"  Who wants to eat and drink surrounded by crowds of people trying to get their coats? 

Was the plan really to make it feel like railway station in the rush hour?  Having seen the new glass bit stuck on the front, I think that really was the idea.  When you think of the other opera houses around the world, and then see what has been done here, it makes me want to weep. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Sophoife said:

By contrast I was in Sydney last week and access to the Joan Sutherland Theatre at the Sydney Opera House has changed radically in 12 months: now there are lines of people being shuffled through physical bag checks and being "wanded". The zip on the bag I was using is dodgy so I said to the man "I'll open that please, if I break it that's fine, if you do I'll be annoyed," and he heaved an enormous sigh and told me he was required to open the bag, not me, but he let me do it.

That's interesting.  I guess it may be a cultural thing: in the UK my experience is that the security staff always ask the owner to open the bag, regardless.

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've had different experiences in different theatres recently - no bag checks at The Lowry, rudimentary bag and ticket checks at Leeds Grand and Birmingham Hippodrome.

And let's face it, the Hippodrome bag check is for what:  was it glass bottles, or actual alcohol?  They did tell me last week, but I'm not sure I registered it correctly.  There was certainly no concern for patron safety as such that I could see.

1 hour ago, alison said:

And let's face it, the Hippodrome bag check is for what:  was it glass bottles, or actual alcohol?  They did tell me last week, but I'm not sure I registered it correctly.  There was certainly no concern for patron safety as such that I could see.

That's the cunning plot Alison to reassure people that they are only looking for illicit supplies of one's own alcohol rather than for security purposes.  A mole told me...

• Like 1

Fonty's  post reminded me of the classroom chaos yesterday after the matinee. Violation staff were doing a great job, but when you consider how long the previous cloakroom counter was, and how much smaller the new one is it doesn't take a great brain to see that it's a recipe for chaos,especially when all the waters and drinkers are there.

i really cannot believe that anyone from the marketing organization or whoever was responsible  for 'designing' this monstrosity had ever visited this, or any other theatre, to understand what audiences want and need. Everything seems to have been sacrificed to the needs of the casual visitor.Not the poor mug frequently shelling out large sums of money to attend a performance.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

i really cannot believe that anyone from the marketing organization or whoever was responsible  for 'designing' this monstrosity had ever visited this, or any other theatre, to understand what audiences want and need. Everything seems to have been sacrificed to the needs of the casual visitor.Not the poor mug frequently shelling out large sums of money to attend a performance.

I'm not a frequent visitor, Thursday was only my second time since "open up" and the first chance I had to have a bit of a wander around the foyer area.  It is soooooooo badly designed and not fit for purpose.  Even I could have done better and I am not known for my interior design skills!!

• Like 5

Why do we never hear from the MD or the Chairman about the train wreck that is Open Up?  Do they regard it as a success?  What exactly was the raison d’etre for spending so many millions and how does the result measure up?

Okay, I know they don’t want my business but would like my money.  Well, I now don’t purchase any fizz as the price point is beyond acceptable, even as an occasional treat.  I have also abandoned the Ampitheatre Restaurant which has all the charm of a factory canteen at five times the price.  2019 will probably be my last year for opera as I am now priced out of the market.  So,well done ROH; you have alienated a regular in favour of what exactly?  I always spent far too much money on my trips to Covent Garden but always told myself it was a special place that I loved, but it has lost its magic.  The ballet is wonderful but Ifeel that I have to negotiate my way through everything else and just suck it up inorder to enjoy the performance.  It simply shouldn’t be like this.  Who is responsible for debasing g one of the Great Opera Houses of the World?

• Like 7

On 17/12/2018 at 20:42, Darlex said:

I received an email from ROH  today promising to be entered for a draw to win tickets in the Royal Box if I take a photo of their Front of House displays and post it on Instagram. Oh dear, what is the world coming to?!!!! Must have been thought up by a 20 -something -year -old marketing expert. This must be all about engaging with the yoof, innit.

Anyway, I'm SUING: firstly they expect me to possess a photographic device (one which hopefully has a nice, loud ringtone which sounds during the quietest moment of the ballet - think Shades or Giselle Act 2 or, as I really experienced, during beautiful Concerto pdd); AND they expect me to have Instagram. This is full scale DISCRIMINATION!!!! I feel EXCLUDED. I want my RIGHTS!!! I WANT FULL INCLUSIVITY!!!!!! NOW!!!!! angry emoji. very angry emoji!!!

Does a picture of people unpacking their picnic and opening a BYO bottle count as a Front of House display? 

• Like 2

I happened to access the new events page while checking a date on my phone.

After selecting the date on the calendar I then had to select apply, which took me to a page which showed what was on and the production dates for the whole run and a little more information on the ballets with a large 'book button'. By selecting book you taken to the production page with all the dates and times.

Previously selecting a date on the calendar gave you the information for everything on that day with the option of buy or sold out next to it. I still see the old version on my laptop at present but the new version makes the process much longer.

• Like 1

As one of the first out at matinee-time this afternoon, I was initially concerned to find all the seats were taken in the downstairs foyer. However, it transpired that most of the coffee drinkers were waiting to move into the Linbury for a cinema showing of Swan Lake. So I quickly revised my view to thinking that it was rather  nice to see that high level of usage.

Incidentally, over the space of 3 visits, I have directed people to the Ladies' toilets about a dozen times and called women back from the stairs to the Gents on several occasions. There must be a signage problem somewhere.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

However, it transpired that most of the coffee drinkers were waiting to move into the Linbury for a cinema showing of Swan Lake.

😲 I hope they didn't charge too much, it's on the telly for free in a few days!!

11 hours ago, Fonty said:

I never use the front entrance as , I always come straight from the tube to the revolving doors in the Covent Garden piazza. 

How very odd....I always walk from the tube through the piazza ignore the revolving doors, round the corner, up Bow Street and in the original entrance 😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob S said:

How very odd....I always walk from the tube through the piazza ignore the revolving doors, round the corner, up Bow Street and in the original entrance 😊

I come from the tube and turn into Floral Street and go in at the side/front entrance. I love Floral Street - it still feels a bit like the old Covent Garden, and going past the stage door is always exciting.

• Like 2

Just now, bridiem said:

I come from the tube and turn into Floral Street and go in at the side/front entrance. I love Floral Street - it still feels a bit like the old Covent Garden, and going past the stage door is always exciting.

That's the way I go when I leave....I then walk to Piccadilly station as I don't like Covent Garden stations crowds...I've yet to see a dancer at the stage door but did see someone from the orchestra 😊

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I was reading the routes taken by others from Covent Garden tube station and was just about to put in a plug for Floral Street and bridiem’s already sung Floral Street’s praises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

Why do we never hear from the MD or the Chairman about the train wreck that is Open Up?  Do they regard it as a success?  What exactly was the raison d’etre for spending so many millions and how does the result measure up?

Okay, I know they don’t want my business but would like my money.  Well, I now don’t purchase any fizz as the price point is beyond acceptable, even as an occasional treat.  I have also abandoned the Ampitheatre Restaurant which has all the charm of a factory canteen at five times the price.  2019 will probably be my last year for opera as I am now priced out of the market.  So,well done ROH; you have alienated a regular in favour of what exactly?  I always spent far too much money on my trips to Covent Garden but always told myself it was a special place that I loved, but it has lost its magic.  The ballet is wonderful but Ifeel that I have to negotiate my way through everything else and just suck it up inorder to enjoy the performance.  It simply shouldn’t be like this.  Who is responsible for debasing g one of the Great Opera Houses of the World?

I agree...sad though...

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Incidentally, over the space of 3 visits, I have directed people to the Ladies' toilets about a dozen times and called women back from the stairs to the Gents on several occasions. There must be a signage problem somewhere.

And I had to direct someone to the Clore from the Floral Street side of the theatre the other day, so something may not be right there, either.

5 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Good to read Jan Parry’s criticisms of the poor synopsis for Winter Dreams and lack of cast change Information in today’s link.

http://dancetabs.com/2018/12/royal-ballet-les-patineurs-winter-dreams-the-concert-london/

And also for there having been no announcement about the cast changes via the tannoy.  She makes the same complaint that I did.  If they don't listen to us, let's hope that they listen to this most respected of dance writers.

• Like 5

I am sorry if this information has been repeated several times already, but who do I write to at the ROH to give voice to my thoughts?  It is all very well my moaning on here, but I want to contact the people responsible for this mess.  

On the subject of bag searches, the current policy seems to be to check backpacks/rucksacks on entry, but to wave smaller handbags etc. through.  This was consistently the case on my 3 visits last week (some of which were with a backpack and others with just a handbag).

• Like 1

One of the critics also said last week (paraphrasing):  The ROH pricing policy is threatening to turn ballet into something elitist.   

Well how ironic that would be, considering this whole new open-up idea is to render the ROH (or at least public perception of it) as non-elitist!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RuthE said:

On the subject of bag searches, the current policy seems to be to check backpacks/rucksacks on entry, but to wave smaller handbags etc. through.  This was consistently the case on my 3 visits last week (some of which were with a backpack and others with just a handbag).

Well I'm not sure if it's that clear in fact, RuthE - for the first time in ages, my handbag was checked (as was my friend's) when I went in the front door last week.

• Like 1

Just now, Sim said:

One of the critics also said last week (paraphrasing):  The ROH pricing policy is threatening to turn ballet into something elitist.   

Well how ironic that would be, considering this whole new open-up idea is to render the ROH (or at least public perception of it) as non-elitist!

Yes - I think the 'public perception' appears to be what matters to the ROH, regardless of the reality.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I am sorry if this information has been repeated several times already, but who do I write to at the ROH to give voice to my thoughts?  It is all very well my moaning on here, but I want to contact the people responsible for this mess.  

Apparently customerservices@roh.org.uk is the email address to use. Or you could always go straight to the top: Alex.Beard@roh.org.uk

• Like 1

Was at the ROH for a full day last Thursday; matinee and evening for the triple bill. In the evening second interval I was in the new open up area which I always think of as the Euston concourse because the 2 are practically interchangeable. A few bill boards giving the starting time of the next performance and no one could tell the difference. Nearby a rather posh lady who immediately reminded me of the Laura Morera character in the Concert was berating her husband whom she had been unable to find. Her final remark was ' Why did you expect me to look for you in this rubbishy cafeteria?' which I thought summed up the new multi million pound public space very nicely.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Was at the ROH for a full day last Thursday; matinee and evening for the triple bill. In the evening second interval I was in the new open up area which I always think of as the Euston concourse because the 2 are practically interchangeable. A few bill boards giving the starting time of the next performance and no one could tell the difference. Nearby a rather posh lady who immediately reminded me of the Laura Morera character in the Concert was berating her husband whom she had been unable to find. Her final remark was ' Why did you expect me to look for you in this rubbishy cafeteria?' which I thought summed up the new multi million pound public space very nicely.

Wonderful!