The "new" Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

18 hours ago, bridiem said:

I've received an email from the ROH including the following: 'We are currently testing a new Tickets & Events page to replace the existing What’s On page so you might notice a difference next time you go online to buy tickets. The new page is currently visble to 12.5% of users. If you experience any issues, please call us on +44 (0)20 7212 9268 and we can help you navigate the new pages. If we and/or the Box Office is closed, and you need to book tickets, you can clear your cookies and refresh the page to see the old What’s On page instead.'

Is this a joke?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I popped into the box office yesterday- asked the poor souls stuck in there whether they might move: they said 'They're trying to identify a suitable space for us in the main building'

Yes- there is so little room isn't there!😑

I took the opportunity to thank them for all their help for many years, and say how much a human face in a real box office is appreciated by many people. They seemed very pleased.

While I was there someone was being shown the theatre plan and having an in-depth discussion about where to sit which really demonstated the point..

Save our Box Office, and the marvellous staff who run it!

• Like 13

37 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Is this a joke?

Not really I'm afraid. Since I cancelled my Friends membership a couple of months back I have been deluged with emails, trying to get me to buy tickets, visit and generally spend money. Ironic really when you think that the reason I severed my connection with them after over 50yrs as a regular was the growing non-availability of tickets to Friends and that I no longer felt they wanted me there! Fortunately there are many other exciting alternatives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mary said:

I popped into the box office yesterday- asked the poor souls stuck in there whether they might move: they said 'They're trying to identify a suitable space for us in the main building'

Yes- there is so little room isn't there!😑

I took the opportunity to thank them for all their help for many years, and say how much a human face in a real box office is appreciated by many people. They seemed very pleased.

While I was there someone was being shown the theatre plan and having an in-depth discussion about where to sit which really demonstated the point..

Save our Box Office, and the marvellous staff who run it!

I am just flabbergasted that they designed this whole new space without including the box office in their plans.  It is such an insult to treat them as a mere appendage to the whole.  Forget about the new marketing company who clearly have no understanding whatsoever about the heritage and history of the ROH, but isn't management aware that the box office is often the first point of contact for newbies?  The "in off the street" potential of people walking by, seeing the posters and saying 'oh, let's pop in and see what's available'.  Even after 40 years of visiting the ROH, I still sometimes have chats with the ever-helpful BO staff if it's a new production:  they are all knowledgeable, and I love asking their advice on where to sit, especially for opera.  Nothing online can compare with that.  Call me old-fashioned, but give me the human touch every time.

• Like 11

On another issue..last night I was quite early to the ROH so I went and sat outside just by the costume dept on the amphi level.  After a little while, a group of four women sat just behind me.  They produced a large M&S bag, and proceeded to unpack prosecco, plastic glasses and sandwiches (all M&S).  They sat there for about half an hour eating and drinking, then got up and left.  They were totally unhindered.  On the positive side, at least they took their rubbish with them!

• Like 1

I'm old school, I know - but if I 'popped in off the street', and something caught my eye in the 'opened up' area enough to induce me to think about buying a ticket for it, I would expect to be able to speak to someone about a ticket purchase, for assistance, information, availability, etc about such a purchase. I wouldn't think I'd be traipsing back out into the street again to try and find somewhere/someone to buy said ticket.

Its madness I tell you!!

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

On another issue..last night I was quite early to the ROH so I went and sat outside just by the costume dept on the amphi level.  After a little while, a group of four women sat just behind me.  They produced a large M&S bag, and proceeded to unpack prosecco, plastic glasses and sandwiches (all M&S).  They sat there for about half an hour eating and drinking, then got up and left.  They were totally unhindered.  On the positive side, at least they took their rubbish with them!

perhaps they were contract staff... 🙂

I saw more of the revamped foyer areas yesterday.  I am sure Prince Charles would think the new glass entrance a carbuncle on such beautiful buildings - it totally ruins the look of the floral hall from the outside.  I remarked to someone that the cafe area on the ground floor reminded me very much of sitting in a cafe in Euston.  At the end of the performance I overheard someone else saying exactly the same thing (right down to the same railway station!).

I applaud the "open up" initiatives but think the execution of them has been a missed opportunity.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I am just flabbergasted that they designed this whole new space without including the box office in their plans.

There was a box office in the plans. This image, uploaded to the ROH Flickr page on 20th April 2016, clearly shows a box office next to the cloak room on the ground floor. The area that is now the cafe counter. There was obviously a change of direction. At some point since the initial plans were drawn up, those in charge decided to replace the box office with a cafe. 

For those interested. These are images of the designs for the open up project. A slightly different image showing the box office, albeit partially hidden behind pretend people, was also uploaded on 1 Jan 2016. Also note this image, first uploaded in 2014, indicating that the cafe counter (which I think was called an espresso bar to begin with) was planned to take up only the space around the corner, by the stairs from the shop. This would seem to be supported by the ground floor model also uploaded in 2014. These are the publicity images, uploaded in September this year, for the opening of the new front of house spaces. Interestingly, the cafe seems to be missing from the counter in this image from 19th September, with this image from 13th September showing it limited to the stairs side only. A very late decision...?

Proposal for the view from Bow Street © Stanton Williams / ROH 2016

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

Perhaps they were hoping that the enlarging of the bar/coffee point area would be in direct proportion to the increasing of revenue.  

Indeed. It makes any search for a 'suitable space' for a box office appear somewhat disingenuous. It is not a question of space, but one of priorities. 

• Like 4

I noticed today that there are very discreet notices on the tables asking people to vacate tables to allow,those attending performances to sit. Also that only food and drink purchased in the ROH is permitted. But nice to see staff giving small presents,to some of the many children here for Hansel and Gretel.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

I noticed today that there are very discreet notices on the tables asking people to vacate tables to allow,those attending performances to sit. Also that only food and drink purchased in the ROH is permitted. But nice to see staff giving small presents,to some of the many children here for Hansel and Gretel.

Oh no! Does that mean that I won't be able to get a Deliveroo. Was looking forward to a nice pizza or McDonald's during the interval. I suppose I could still have it standing!!!

44 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Oh no! Does that mean that I won't be able to get a Deliveroo. Was looking forward to a nice pizza or McDonald's during the interval. I suppose I could still have it standing!!!

I'm sure no one would notice! If I were you I'd take it right into the theatre and grab a nice comfy seat!

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Even after 40 years of visiting the ROH, I still sometimes have chats with the ever-helpful BO staff if it's a new production:  they are all knowledgeable, and I love asking their advice on where to sit, especially for opera.  Nothing online can compare with that.  Call me old-fashioned, but give me the human touch every time.

Me too.  I've just spent the afternoon meeting and interacting with a newish group of clients, all of whom seem to be very nice people.  They've gone up in my estimation, unlike certain clienes.  ts who have no idea of "human touch" but think all interaction with their customers can be automated, who are rapidly sliding downwards.  No direct connection, I know, but the principle is the same ...

3 hours ago, capybara said:

I would 'plonk' a circular-shaped Box Office in the middle of the 'airport lounge'. There might be space for a few less people to sit eating their own sarnies/use the free wifi etc but it would put tickets and an 'advice point' at the heart of the action.

Yes.  Perhaps they could even reinstate the old post of Information Officer - or at least give the box office staff the sort of training which would enable them to take on that role as well.

2 hours ago, Saodan said:

Indeed. It makes any search for a 'suitable space' for a box office appear somewhat disingenuous. It is not a question of space, but one of priorities. 

But this is the UK's premier institution for ballet and opera - for which one needs tickets of some kind and 'on the spot' information. Eating, meeting, passing time etc are, surely, secondary activities.

• Like 10

I was frankly shocked at the total lack of security or any ticket checks at yesterday's matinee.  No bag checks were made upon entry and the tickets were only checked at the entrance to the amphitheatre.   Anyone can wander in.  Not very safe at all.

Interestingly the Euston Concourse area was heaving yet downstairs in the lower bar area it was empty and the cafe wasn't even open for the intervals?

The old system of Left and Right was far better than all the levels and door numbers, there was no need to change this really.  Its more confusing than ever now.  

In my experience the best theatre I have visited is Het Nationale Theatre in Amsterdam it's very comfortable and easy to navigate etc... 

Edited by Don Q Fan

4 hours ago, capybara said:

But this is the UK's premier institution for ballet and opera - for which one needs tickets of some kind and 'on the spot' information. Eating, meeting, passing time etc are, surely, secondary activities.

I think that’s the point Saodan is making:  they have given priority to the eating and drinking over being able to buy tickets and get information easily.  

24 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

I was frankly shocked at the total lack of security or any ticket checks at yesterday's matinee.  No bag checks were made upon entry and the tickets were only checked at the entrance to the amphitheatre.   

I saw at least 2 people having their bags checked when I came in.

7 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

So how will that work?  Are ticket holders supposed to charge up to people about to tuck into Chicken Tikka Masala sandwiches and a bottle of whatever and say, 'Oi, you.  Can I see your tickets?'

Can imagine the response.  '.xxxx orff.  I've got as much right to be here as you.  And where's your ticket?'

If I book a table in a restaurant, I don't expect to spend the first ten minutes evicting people from my table or making a citizen's arrest because the plonkers are eating their own food.

Is there anyone with any common sense at all left in ROH management?

Edited by penelopesimpson
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Darlex said:

Good idea.  You could put a couple of towels on the place where you want to sit and get one of the front of house staff to take delivery for you if the performance is running late.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

So how will that work?  Are ticket holders supposed to charge up to people about to tuck into Chicken Tikka Masala sandwiches and a bottle of whatever and say, 'Oi, you.  Can I see your tickets?'

Same system at all theatres it seems now. Cheer up, we just live in the age of equality!

Don Q Fan wrote:  "I was frankly shocked at the total lack of security or any ticket checks.”
Neither my bag nor my ticket was checked at any point last night.

ninamargaret wrote:  "I noticed today that there are very discreet notices on the tables asking people to vacate tables to allow those attending performances to sit. Also that only food and drink purchased in the ROH is permitted.” 
Unfortunately, some people do whatever they like. Last night, during the first interval, two ladies were munching their own sandwiches in the Stalls foyer, in front of Margot Fonteyn’s head. Any regulation makes sense only if it is enforceable. 

And now a happy story. At the very end of the first interval last night we were waiting for a lift on the Ground level but all three lifts were out of order. Some people rushed to the staircase. Had I tried the same I wouldn't have reached my Upper Slips seat in time. I asked the front of the house administrator: what should I do? Please listen! He instructed his assistant to take me to the Grand Tier, so I happily enjoyed there two remaining acts. Truly it was blessing in disguise. Some nice people work at the ROH but who does the planning? 

Edited by Amelia
corrected layout
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Sim said:

Perhaps they were hoping that the enlarging of the bar/coffee point area would be in direct proportion to the increasing of revenue.  

maybe they couldn't afford the 'Time And Relative Dimensions In Space' elements on the ground floor of the original plan

• Like 4

6 hours ago, capybara said:

You would have thought so. I feel the ROH has made a mistake here. A theatre without a box office ‘in house’ seems wrong. 

That said, I wonder what percentage of ticket sales are conducted in person through the box office. I suspect the vast majority is now online or over the phone. The replacement of day tickets with Friday Rush may have been the final nail in the coffin for any significant box office presence. All they need now is someone to man the phones.

So, if they are looking at the figures alone, it probably makes sense to have the cafe. However, it has led to them forgetting how important a box office is to a theatre and its patrons. You don’t miss it till its gone, perhaps. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I was frankly shocked at the total lack of security or any ticket checks at yesterday's matinee.  No bag checks were made upon entry and the tickets were only checked at the entrance to the amphitheatre.   Anyone can wander in.  Not very safe at all

I keep seeing this.

In Melbourne this year, as usual, at the State Theatre in the Victorian Arts Centre there were ticket checks at the points of entry into the auditorium but not otherwise and no bag checks.

By contrast I was in Sydney last week and access to the Joan Sutherland Theatre at the Sydney Opera House has changed radically in 12 months: now there are lines of people being shuffled through physical bag checks and being "wanded". The zip on the bag I was using is dodgy so I said to the man "I'll open that please, if I break it that's fine, if you do I'll be annoyed," and he heaved an enormous sigh and told me he was required to open the bag, not me, but he let me do it. I had to ask permission to go through the barrier to drop some flowers at stage door. Yet there were squads of non-theatregoers wandering around the same area from the stairs on the waterside and no security on that side! Stupid. We then had to show our tickets before even going up the stairs to the actual foyer, and again at the next barrier, and again at the actual theatre door. Surely there has to be some happy medium?!

Oh, and those patrons trekking down to the one rather useless lift which only takes one to box office level not even to foyer level - no security checks.

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 1