The "new" Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

2 hours ago, alison said:

The prom season is allegedly coming back.  Sometime, I can't remember when.

Well that's something to look forward to I suppose.  I remember going to the Proms in the Albert Hall and sitting on the floor either in the arena or up at the top at the promenade level.  Great acoustics but I'm not sure my arthritic old bones could handle it now.  It's fine going down but not so good getting up again!

Linda

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I bet it would be cheap. That’s the point.  

But the surrounding seats are some of the most expensive in the theatre so I can't imagine access here would be cheap. Sadly, with current approach to pricing the point you make I feel might get missed. Ok if you pack people in that could justify cheaper access but the impression I had from the original post was that is allowed a more relaxed "sit on the mossy floor" approach. Probably a bit pie in the sky anyway.

The original proms were in the 1980s, before the rebuilding/refurbishment.  There was indeed a very thick good quality carpet covering the floor in the stalls, which was very comfortable, and the rake meant that everyone could see well from a sitting position.  Now there is hard flooring and air-conditioning vents coming up through the floor so I don't think it could be done anymore.

15 hours ago, Geoff said:

The series is affectionately remembered under the title ‘The House’ but your version is what appears on screen. One important correction: the person you are recalling was the then ROH boss, Sir Jeremy Isaacs.

Here’s a link:

https://youtu.be/2_-HRQ2YaQw

Thanks Geoff.  I'm pleased you've clarified the name of the programme - the YouTube titles didn't seem right but my memory isn't what it used to be.

As regards Isaacs/Payne, I see the Economist in 1998 (5 years later) suggests it was Payne:

https://www.economist.com/moreover/1998/07/02/only-fools-and-horses

This is subscription but the google reference includes the text below:

2 Jul 1998 · "... opera director Nicholas Payne described a party of wealthy patrons as 'effing rah-rahs'."

I recall shortly after the broadcast, Nicholas Payne was having to make an apology/announcement on stage (I'm not sure what about) and he attracted a fair degree of opprobrium even before the announcement.

Having been reminded of the House and seeing it's on YouTube, I will have another look, not just for the infamous quote, as there was a great deal of fascinating, if pretty damning, material.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graemew said:

But the surrounding seats are some of the most expensive in the theatre so I can't imagine access here would be cheap. Sadly, with current approach to pricing the point you make I feel might get missed. Ok if you pack people in that could justify cheaper access but the impression I had from the original post was that is allowed a more relaxed "sit on the mossy floor" approach. Probably a bit pie in the sky anyway.

And the stalls seats, beside the arena, in the Royal Albert Hall are amongst the top priced tickets there. Yet tickets to stand in the arena are only £6 at the Proms. As I say, that’s the point.

54 minutes ago, LinMM said:

There are some pretty expensive seats in front of the Stalls Circle standing tickets as well....... £8 is an amazing price for such a good view.

Don't start off, Lin, or you'll find they'll be put up as well :(  - and anyway, quite a few of them are pretty rubbish.

Last night I had to ask for a cast change slip, Usher: “yes, I think we have a few”, as she reaches into a drawer. What is the point of the hundreds of cast lists given out if they are knowingly inaccurate? That is a bigger waste of paper. I think this change slip stupidity is the single thing that annoys me most about the recent ROH mischievousness!

• Like 2

Re: The House. It was indeed broadcast on BBC2 under that title; the programmes loaded on You Tube are taken from a video release (American I think) which retitled the series to The Royal Opera House, presumably for the sake of clarity. Either way it's the same own goal I remember watching back in 1996! 

• Like 1

Incidentally I was just looking to see how the Proms idea initially came up in the 70s and according to John Tooley, whose idea they were, the original plan was to relay opera and ballet performances to various centres round the country (more than 40 years ago) and Tooley had persuaded the Midland Bank to pay for it - but in the end it proved too expensive (line costs and special projectors) so they abandoned that idea and subsidised the Proms instead. (Leading to Richanrd Buckle's review starting "I'd like to kiss the Midland Bank" - or something like that anyway) Also, in the 1900s Tooley almost fixed  a deal with Texaco and the BBC to relay live television performances but it fell through when an oil crisis meant Texaco had to withdraw.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Richmondhill said:

Re: The House. It was indeed broadcast on BBC2 under that title; the programmes loaded on You Tube are taken from a video release (American I think) which retitled the series to The Royal Opera House, presumably for the sake of clarity. Either way it's the same own goal I remember watching back in 1996! 

I'd always remembered it as The House and thought I'd misremembered the title, so thank you for the explanation!

I found it again on YouTube a year or so ago and watched it in one sitting, it was so fascinating. (Particularly shocking to me was the dismissive way the singer Denyce Graves was treated by one of the RO managers.)

1 hour ago, Jane S said:

Incidentally I was just looking to see how the Proms idea initially came up in the 70s and according to John Tooley, whose idea they were, the original plan was to relay opera and ballet performances to various centres round the country (more than 40 years ago) and Tooley had persuaded the Midland Bank to pay for it - but in the end it proved too expensive (line costs and special projectors) so they abandoned that idea and subsidised the Proms instead. (Leading to Richanrd Buckle's review starting "I'd like to kiss the Midland Bank" - or something like that anyway) Also, in the 1900s Tooley almost fixed  a deal with Texaco and the BBC to relay live television performances but it fell through when an oil crisis meant Texaco had to withdraw.

We then had BP sponsoring the live big screen relays.

2 hours ago, Timmie said:

Last night I had to ask for a cast change slip, Usher: “yes, I think we have a few”, as she reaches into a drawer. What is the point of the hundreds of cast lists given out if they are knowingly inaccurate? That is a bigger waste of paper. I think this change slip stupidity is the single thing that annoys me most about the recent ROH mischievousness!

I was in the Balcony and there weren't any.  I drew the usher's attention and she looked at me as much as to say 'there's no pleasing some people.'

I am due to attend Unknown Soldier on Thursday. Everyday, for more than a week, I have received an email from the House  entitled "Important reminder: your visit" promoting  restaurant facilities. Just the same message day after day. The practice used to be a single reminder "just incase one had forgotten"  so I wonder whether, since the Open Up these facilities have lost their appeal?  It is starting to get annoying and will end up being deleted without being read. And one might actually be important.

Is this a flaw in the email marketing software or now deliberate promotion I wonder?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graemew said:

I am due to attend Unknown Soldier on Thursday. Everyday, for more than a week, I have received an email from the House  entitled "Important reminder: your visit" promoting  restaurant facilities. Just the same message day after day. The practice used to be a single reminder "just incase one had forgotten"  so I wonder whether, since the Open Up these facilities have lost their appeal?  It is starting to get annoying and will end up being deleted without being read. And one might actually be important.

Is this a flaw in the email marketing software or now deliberate promotion I wonder?

I've also received an invitation to partake of a ridiculously expensive and not very interesting dinner, but haven't received the reminder they used to send out with details of timings etc. I suspect their dining facilities are proving of little interest.

• Like 1

I've booked for a few of these Triple Bills and am receiving more than one e-mail reminder every day. Perhaps they are trying to prove their 'green' credentials?

Apologies - me again! 

At yesterday's rehearsal, the cast sheets were of reduced size with very feint, almost unreadable print. People were hoping that the change was only for a rehearsal.

But no. I hear that the same size/style was being used at the opera last night. So bring your magnifying glasses tonight!

What the hell is the ROH thinking - on so many fronts all at once too?

• Like 1

Me too. Imagine it’s an issue with the software

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

I've also received an invitation to partake of a ridiculously expensive and not very interesting dinner, but haven't received the reminder they used to send out with details of timings etc. I suspect their dining facilities are proving of little interest.

The dinners have always been ridiculously expensive and not particularly interesting.  However, I have to say that sitting in the balcony restaurant is a marvellous experience, especially when they had the Christmas tree up, and one that I thoroughly enjoyed on the one occasion I did it.  That was many years ago, of course, when seats in my preferred area were half the price they are now.  

Someone has just asked me, can they go and get a drink and sit outside on the new upstairs terrace, if they don't have a ticket for the performance?  I assume they can?

Should be able to, I believe.  Unless things have changed in the last couple of weeks.

(I've just checked my email and, surprise surprise, have 2 email reminders about tonight's performance, and booking to eat in the restaurant.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

The dinners have always been ridiculously expensive and not particularly interesting.  However, I have to say that sitting in the balcony restaurant is a marvellous experience, especially when they had the Christmas tree up, and one that I thoroughly enjoyed on the one occasion I did it.  That was many years ago, of course, when seats in my preferred area were half the price they are now.  

Someone has just asked me, can they go and get a drink and sit outside on the new upstairs terrace, if they don't have a ticket for the performance?  I assume they can?

Tell them to bring their own if they want brownie points with Mr. Taylor!

• Like 2

About the new cast sheets (which I think have been mentioned in this thread and another): I emailed Customer Services at the ROH about this and have received a reply to say that they have redesigned them to save paper and money and to fit in with their new brand. But they have received a small number of complaints relating to their legibility, and they are aware that in the context of the low lighting in the auditorium some audience members may find them less comfortable to read. They are therefore reviewing the new design and considering what course of action is appropriate.

They also said that reducing the synopses is part of the redesign. I replied to the effect that this only needs to be done if it does save paper, which is rarely going to be the case; otherwise they are not saving paper, they are just short-changing their audience (and especially now that programmes are prohibitively expensive, cast sheets do need to be as helpful as possible).

• Like 10