The "new" Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

Many thanks bridiem.  If cast sheets are no longer to give a synopsis (Mayerling had a pretty thin synopsis and there was nothing in the Triple Bill cast list), where are synopses to be found other than in the programme?  The website is very hit and miss (sometimes a brief synopsis, sometimes nothing) but certainly not comparable to what used to be included in the old cast sheets.

• Like 3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The phrase ‘the new brand’ is interesting.  When did Open-Up become a new brand and, if so, what are the values of the" new ROH brand?

Generally speaking, it is probably the older customers who find the cast sheets hard to read, so are we to:make the assumption that the new brand is only directed at young people? Similarly, ballet regulars are the more likely to scrutinise Cast Sheets and we all know that true fans are regarded as of lesser value than the drop-in’s.  What is it with organisations like ROH and the BBC who endlessly chase the youth market, often at the expense of it’s existing core base.The bringing in new people argument doesn’t really hold much weight.  Every age group ultimately gravitates through the next in it’s tastes and habits.

So, ROH, do tell us about this new brand which, so far, for me has only been a negative experience.  The only gainers seem to be those seeking a warm haven in central London without having to pay for the privilege.  Is this really what precious Arts funding is for?

• Like 4

It’s difficult not to sound like a moaning old Aunt Edna but to see people sat outside the Crush Room eating takeaway food out of those large aluminium trays is pushing Open-Up - or the blind eye to anything it seems to encourage - to logical if awful conclusions. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Richmondhill said:

It’s difficult not to sound like a moaning old Aunt Edna but to see people sat outside the Crush Room eating takeaway food out of those large aluminium trays is pushing Open-Up - or the blind eye to anything it seems to encourage - to logical if awful conclusions. 

Can’t believe that this was allowed. There are plenty of suitable areas and plenty of staff to notice and direct people to the appropriate places. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Can’t believe that this was allowed. There are plenty of suitable areas and plenty of staff to notice and direct people to the appropriate places. 

Yes, there are plenty of options or they can go outside. An embarrassed member of staff stood close pretending not to notice from what I could briefly tell. Perhaps Drop-In is a better name for Open-Up!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Richmondhill said:

Yes, there are plenty of options or they can go outside. An embarrassed member of staff stood close pretending not to notice from what I could briefly tell. Perhaps Drop-In is a better name for Open-Up!

Then frankly they aren’t doing their job properly or haven’t been trained properly. Surprised that anyone believes this was an appropriate area for a picnic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

Then frankly they aren’t doing their job properly or haven’t been trained properly. Surprised that anyone believes this was an appropriate area for a picnic.

They could surely always claim fire hazard given this is a walkway.  It does make me want to weep.  Are there to be no special places anymore that one aspires to, dreams about, saves up for and then experiences the magic?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

Regarding cast sheets, they don't need to waste any more time and money in new designs, just bring back the ones that were in use for Bayadere and Mayerling!

Apart from the lack of a decent synopsis, particularly for Mayerling.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Apart from the lack of a decent synopsis, particularly for Mayerling.

Yes, La Bayadere really does only have two sentences worth of plot in each of Acts 2 and 3, but Mayerling is mind-bogglingly complicated.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned further up the thread, but somebody pointed out on Twitter last night that now they aren't checking tickets until one enters the auditorium, what's to become of all the people - and yes, I've seen it happen frequently enough to consider it a non-isolated problem - who don't go to ballet very often, who book for ENB and then turn up at ROH by accident? It's especially confusing in Nutcracker season when the same thing is on in both venues, but I bet there are a handful of people who do it regardless.  They won't learn of their error until they try to enter the auditorium 5min before curtain, by which time they won't have time to get to the Coliseum.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned further up the thread, but somebody pointed out on Twitter last night that now they aren't checking tickets until one enters the auditorium, what's to become of all the people - and yes, I've seen it happen frequently enough to consider it a non-isolated problem - who don't go to ballet very often, who book for ENB and then turn up at ROH by accident? It's especially confusing in Nutcracker season when the same thing is on in both venues, but I bet there are a handful of people who do it regardless.  They won't learn of their error until they try to enter the auditorium 5min before curtain, by which time they won't have time to get to the Coliseum.

Don’t worry, they will be looking for dress circle etc and will only be able to find levels  to contend with which will prob prompt them to ask!!

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

I haven't done this, but I did once turn up at the ROH, later than usual at about 7.20pm, and only then realise I should be at Sadler's Wells... 😮 😩

• Like 3

On 21/10/2018 at 10:34, Mary said:

Weird isn't it? I used to love those long paper strips with all upcoming performances...and all the leaflets with luscious photos and dates and full information. I remember once filling in a booking form then and there and handing it in as I left.  Surely if you want people in, you should give them some information? On the terrace there is nothing- why not put some out on the tables?

There is a man handing out a credit card sized concertina of winter season performances tonight. Is this what you used to pick up?

Also had my bag checked twice - cut through the piazza entrance to bow street to go to eat then same gentleman had moved to the main doors on my return. He checked my bag and recognised me (or my bag) too.... May be because I got stuck in the piazza doors earlier though....

57 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I haven't done this, but I did once turn up at the ROH, later than usual at about 7.20pm, and only then realise I should be at Sadler's Wells... 😮 😩

Oh dear.  Absolutely no chance of making curtain up for that one.  

I turned up a week early for a performance, once.  Only realised when I produced my ticket.  Still, better than a week late.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RuthE said:

Yes, La Bayadere really does only have two sentences worth of plot in each of Acts 2 and 3, but Mayerling is mind-bogglingly complicated.

Funny, my rather elderly programme has well over a page of synopsis even on Bayadere - it was VERY detailed.

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

There is a man handing out a credit card sized concertina of winter season performances tonight. Is this what you used to pick up?

Sadly, no.  It was a strip maybe 4 inches wide and several feet long.  They hung from a hook-type thing and you just pulled one off from the bottom.  I think it probably contained all the necessary information, casting included?  It would probably have made an adequate replacement for the old booking brochure, which had got very paunchy.

The concertina does at least have dates, which is something, but apart from that it's about as much use as the Sadler's Wells season flyer - i.e. fairly useless.

We’ve been down this road before. Most people don’t desperately care what brand they are getting when it’s an interval glass at a crowded bar.  If Ruinart is such a superior brand that it has to cost £15 a glass, then maybe it isn’t the right champagne for the bar.  After all, everything else is being dumbed down, why not the champers?

• Like 3

I am a *big* fan of Spanish opera houses where a glass of really drinkable local cava is €5, and is the popular choice among audience members (with glasses laid out and filled before the interval for speed of service) rather than a spending decision. Inclusive, and promoting of a celebratory atmosphere.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 10

Attended tonight. A large bouncer type gentleman (never seen one of those at the ROH before!) was on the Bow Street door when I entered. He smiled, and said good evening, but nothing else. Did he want to see my ticket? Search my bag?... I asked? No, he replied, it was quite all right. I suppose I’m glad I don’t look suspicious in any way....

Went to enter the auditorium. Surely they would ask to see a ticket? But no. Again, l even offered to show it but they were perfectly happy to let me in without sight of it.....

7 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

Attended tonight. A large bouncer type gentleman (never seen one of those at the ROH before!) was on the Bow Street door when I entered. He smiled, and said good evening, but nothing else. Did he want to see my ticket? Search my bag?... I asked? No, he replied, it was quite all right. I suppose I’m glad I don’t look suspicious in any way....

Went to enter the auditorium. Surely they would ask to see a ticket? But no. Again, l even offered to show it but they were perfectly happy to let me in without sight of it.....

I‘m struggling to see the issue here. Was there someone in your seat who had to be removed? Sounds like you had seamless and easy access to the theatre, with no problems. Did you enjoy the show?

My ticket was never checked last night either.  Street to seat with no checks.  The reason my ticket wasn't checked was because there was no usher at the door to the auditorium .  There were a couple of very confused-looking people wondering where to go.  A member of the public then spent the first ballet sitting on the usher's "jump seat.".  

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

My ticket was never checked last night either.  Street to seat with no checks.  The reason my ticket wasn't checked was because there was no usher at the door to the auditorium .  There were a couple of very confused-looking people wondering where to go.  A member of the public then spent the first ballet sitting on the usher's "jump seat.".  

We must have had your quota - there were 3 ushers at SCS right before the show started - 2 checking tickets (so I was checked) and one further inside directing traffic. I am obviously the 'disreputable type' - I always have my bag checked and always have my ticket checked. I'm feeling a bit put upon now! lol

15 minutes ago, Sim said:

I have had my bag checked once since Open Up!  But it is just a small handbag.   Maybe they need to look at 're-distribution of the ushers.   Three at one door, none at another, sounds rather unbalanced!

I cam beat that, Sim.  In  five visits I have not had bag checked or been asked for ticket.