The "new" Royal Opera House, Covent Garden

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I find this article rather annoying. I have never found the ROH 'awkward' or 'unprepossessing', and I've never assumed that all the people who go there wear tuxedos (not that I actually know what a tuxedo is, now I come to think of it). I have always liked the fact that you come on this great theatre suddenly in the midst of the streets of London, and that its glories are hidden within. I first started going there as an almost penniless teenager, and what small amount of money I had went on tickets, not on drinks or coffees; and that is still the case now and will continue to be so regardless of any greater ease of access to the building.

BUT if this does encourage a few more people to take an interest in ballet or opera when they otherwise would not have done so, maybe it will be worth all the expenditure. And I hope the new Linbury theatre works well.

• Like 15

Looking forward to seeing Open Up on my next visit.  

But what is accessible seems to be a new Royal Opera House website or at least the opening pages.  I say 'accessible' but find navigation much harder and feel a huge sense of relief when getting back to familiar pages.  It may be the website looks better on a desktop computer as even with my iPad Pro, part of the page is offscreen which is irritating.  Probably me and my lack of IT nous.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

It's not open to the public until Friday.  There was a press conference this morning.

How do you know these things BBB :) I was aware that the ROH was included in the Open London list this weekend and have seen the coverage in today's press, but no details at all.

54 minutes ago, bridiem said:

find this article rather annoying. I have never found the ROH 'awkward' or 'unprepossessing', and I've never assumed that all the people who go there wear tuxedos (not that I actually know what a tuxedo is, now I come to think of it). I have always liked the fact that you come on this great theatre suddenly in the midst of the streets of London, and that its glories are hidden within

I just wish those journalists once and for all would stop using such cliche vocabulary! How often have we not read that the ROH is "elitist" (SO not!), and now young journalist Oliver Wainwright reports back using "awkward" or "unprepossessing" (SO not!). He certainly writes from his own point of view but that's not mine. I cannot afford to eat there nor drink expensive wine or champagne at any of the bars but that doesn't stop me going. There are always free jugs of water for the thirsty and no one has ever objected when I sit down eating my own home-made sandwich, or wearing an "out of fashion" dress. It's such a relaxed and enjoyable venue. 

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Some details in The Stage of what is coming up at the Linbury:

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2018/royal-opera-house-unveils-first-season-redesigned-linbury-theatre/

No dates though.

One of the "works" is apparently called "New work new music" and it is from 6 - 9 February 2019. It comprises 5 world premieres and it will contain also choreographys by the royal dancer  Kristen McNally and Calvin Richardson... Definitely I will catch tickets for this event!

https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/new-work-new-music-by-various

Will have to wait until October to see the "new" house but I am excited. It looks all very  promising. Though I liked the old theatre and it´s hidden presence I think it could attract more new and young people to Ballet and Opera - and this would be great!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

One of the "works" is apparently called "New work new music" and it is from 6 - 9 February 2019. It comprises 5 world premieres and it will contain also choreographys by the royal dancer  Kristen McNally and Calvin Richardson... Definitely I will catch tickets for this event!

https://www.roh.org.uk/productions/new-work-new-music-by-various

Nice of ROH to tell its supporters about this and that booking opens on Friday for Friends (all levels) and Monday for the general public.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Nice of ROH to tell its supporters about this and that booking opens on Friday for Friends (all levels) and Monday for the general public.

Quite; and I can't see the ticket prices anywhere - has anyone found this info?

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

I find this article rather annoying. I have never found the ROH 'awkward' or 'unprepossessing', and I've never assumed that all the people who go there wear tuxedos (not that I actually know what a tuxedo is, now I come to think of it). I have always liked the fact that you come on this great theatre suddenly in the midst of the streets of London, and that its glories are hidden within. I first started going there as an almost penniless teenager, and what small amount of money I had went on tickets, not on drinks or coffees; and that is still the case now and will continue to be so regardless of any greater ease of access to the building.

BUT if this does encourage a few more people to take an interest in ballet or opera when they otherwise would not have done so, maybe it will be worth all the expenditure. And I hope the new Linbury theatre works well.

Tuxedo is a US american  Vulgarism for  'black tie'  / dinner jacket  ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Some details in The Stage of what is coming up at the Linbury:

https://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2018/royal-opera-house-unveils-first-season-redesigned-linbury-theatre/

No dates though.

Details of events at the Linbury are now on the ROH site; I found identifying events at the Linbury easiest through http://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2018-19 as most of the events shown in a grey box are at the Linbury.  Some exciting content e.g., International Draft Works, Ballet Black with a choreography by Cathy Marston, Young Talent Festival.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Duck said:

Details of events at the Linbury are now on the ROH site; I found identifying events at the Linbury easiest through http://www.roh.org.uk/seasons/2018-19 as most of the events shown in a grey box are at the Linbury.  Some exciting content e.g., International Draft Works, Ballet Black with a choreography by Cathy Marston, Young Talent Festival.

I've put links to (what I think are) the new productions/events that are in the Winter season on the Winter casting thread.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

All seems a bit odd - why is La Forza del Destino shown in grey when it must be in the main house?

Agreed, this is somewhat odd. There are a few Insight events shown in grey, too. I guess a search function by venue would be great (unless it's already there, and I missed it), in addition to searching the calendar by date and ticket price.

Edited by Duck
text in parenthesis

8 hours ago, JohnS said:

Looking forward to seeing Open Up on my next visit.  

But what is accessible seems to be a new Royal Opera House website or at least the opening pages.  I say 'accessible' but find navigation much harder and feel a huge sense of relief when getting back to familiar pages.  It may be the website looks better on a desktop computer as even with my iPad Pro, part of the page is offscreen which is irritating.  Probably me and my lack of IT nous.

This just seems to be a front page overlay which has relatively little value and as you say, it is a relief that all the familiar pages are linked.

I was asked by ROH to comment on a beta version of various proposed changes a few weeks ago. These would be more extensive than what has now appeared,   but  I had to report back that there were all sorts of functionality problems. I hope they don't start messing the site up futher.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I was asked by ROH to comment on a beta version of various proposed changes a few weeks ago. These would be more extensive than what has now appeared,   but  I had to report back that there were all sorts of functionality problems.

Thanks RichardLH - I'm pleased to see ROH asked you for feedback.  I'd wondered what sort of arrangements were in place for testing changes (Winter booking I recall was a problem with no price information for a number of seats).  Are you able to say why you were approached?

9 minutes ago, Shade said:

I hope it feels more welcoming to people, like the Southbank.

I used to love the RFH but I don't find the Southbank at all welcoming now! It seems to have degenerated into a food hall/lowbrow exhibition space (Moomins? ABBA?). Leave a solo piano recital and your ears and mood are immediately assaulted by unsympathetic music playing in the foyers.

Which would be fine if it weren't for the £18m annual public subsidy it receives (which is presumably the reason it continues to present concerts) on top of God knows how much in one-off grants for repairs, improvements, etc.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, LinMM said:

partly agree Lizbie I find the RFH just a bit too busy at times and not at all restful to sit before a concert etc.

Perhaps I'm just showing my age!!

I used to enjoy the National Theatre for a quiet drink before the performance, but now it's quite unpleasant, with loads of visitors and even an announcement asking non theatre goers to leave about 45mins before the performance so that there are seats available for those going to the theatre. Hope we don't have a similar situation at the ROH.

• Like 2

I just hope they haven't altered the inside of the actual opera house building - ie the foyer, crush bar and stairs leading up to it and of course the most beautiful auditorium in the world!  I still miss the giant mirror half way up the stairs to the crush bar or whatever it's called nowadays.  When I was a little girl I adored walking down those stairs and admiring myself in my best party frock with feet beautifully pointed and turned out as I was descending gracefully!

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Geoff said:

Mr. Wainwright seems to have a chip on his shoulder the size of the fly-tower.

How nice that regular patrons have been put through the years of re-building just so that people can see we aren't all wearing tuxedos.  How terribly juvenile and right-on.

Can you imagine the furore if a national newspaper wrote a piece lampooning visitors to a Bingo Hall or a Dog Track?  

Pathetic.  Why can't people live and let live and each enjoy what they like without having to run the gauntlet of ridicule?

Don't tell me - it's all about inclusivity!

• Like 4