Royal Ballet potential Spring 2019 casting

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Her dedication in achieving a professional career against what seem to have been difficult odds is hugely admirable, although I have to be honest and write that she is not a dancer who has really engaged me on the occasions that I have seen her.

Yes her dedication from the moment she went on to train with a private teacher is hugely admirable but she's not the only one who has had great dedication and/or had to overcome difficult odds. Any dancer, and especially those who reach the Principal rank or First Soloist level, need a tremendous amount of dedication and have had to overcome difficult odds (but most didn't/don't talk about it in the press repeatedly). She's not unique in having to overcome numerous battles in order to achieve a professional level.

She entered the company at a time when there were not that many exciting dancers at Soloist and First Solist level. Around that time McGregor also came on the scene and cast her in his early ballets. Her flexibility was amazing yes but that does not make a great classical dancer. In the meantime the Company took on a steady stream of very talented dancers coming out of the RBSchool who rapidly climbed the ranks and many simply have the edge over her. I liked her in McGregor's work, I really enjoyed watching her a few years back in Mayerling, she was great in "Judas Tree" but, as Jamesrhblack said, I really don't engage with her at all, and at times it was/is painful to see how she struggled/struggles dancing the classics (Symphonic Variations is just one of several examples). I'd go and see her in a McGregor work but not in a classical work. The question remains: did she or did she not benefit from her two year stint in Dresden? Did she come back a better classical dancer? In the meantime there are younger Principals above her, First Soloists and Soloists who are far more impressive to watch in my opinion. 

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

She danced it with Watson in 2012 and was very good.

She was originally scheduled with Pennefather.  Was it a rehearsal they danced before the casting was changed, or did she have a "live" performance with him too?  I can't remember.

Thanks for the discussion that my post has generated. I have only seen her dance twice  ( MacMillan and McGregor roles) and both times she had an individual quality that stood out for me. As this is a thread about the casting for the spring, I would just add that I hope she does have the opportunity to demonstrate what she has gained from her two years in Dresden and reprise the role of Juliet. I note that she has been partnering Roberto Bolle in the balcony pas de deux at the World Ballet Festival -  so he must rate her :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sim said:

Morera and Bonelli.  An extremely enticing prospect!

Morera  is brilliant but in view of the other  contenders and the fact that she has never danced Juliet before (and notwithstanding the discussion as to age) I would be very surprised if she was picked. But who knows ! 

I would hope that the R&J casting decisions have not yet been finally made and that they will in part depend upon how some of the potential Juliets and Romeos acquit themselves in rehearsals and performances in the early part of the season.  Magri for example has some huge opportunities, with both Gamzatti and Kitri - if she pulls them off successfully this could be a real breakthrough year for her.  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

I would hope that the R&J casting decisions have not yet been finally made and that they will in part depend upon how some of the potential Juliets and Romeos acquit themselves in rehearsals and performances in the early part of the season.  Magri for example has some huge opportunities, with both Gamzatti and Kitri - if she pulls them off successfully this could be a real breakthrough year for her.  

These kinds of criteria are why Kevin O'Hare seeks to announce casting as near the start of the booking period as possible. I have heard him explain this more than once.

We used to have the casting in the magazine but, when writing the copy, printing and distribution are taken into account, the Director was having to cast even further ahead than is the case now. And, as it was, the casting for some performances of Don Q was published almost 9 months before the shows.

1 hour ago, Lindsay said:

I sure hope so....I have long been a big fan of Mayara's.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Morera  is brilliant but in view of the other  contenders and the fact that she has never danced Juliet before (and notwithstanding the discussion as to age) I would be very surprised if she was picked. But who knows ! 

There will probably be at least two  younger Juliets who have never danced the role before....there is a first time for everything, no matter how old one is.  I have always wanted to see Morera in this role, and she has inexplicably been passed over time and time again.  She is a fine MacMillan dance actress:  her Anastasia was incredibly moving, her Manon is wonderful (she is one of my favourite ever Manons), her Mary Vetsera was astonishing and left me open-mouthed and unable to speak at the end.  She has also been superlative in some of MacMillan's shorter ballets.  So, I would love to see her tackle Juliet to complete the circle.  She has done so much justice to MacMillan's choreography through the years;  I hope she gets some justice in return and is given the chance to dance this role.....with Bonelli or Muntagirov.  

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I am struck by how little support there is for Hamilton. Why is no one interested in seeing her Juluet?

I thought her Manon a few years back was really gripping and I'd definitely see her as Juliet if she were cast. She needs a passionate partner though, a one-sided smoulder doesn't work so well on stage.

• Like 4

On 18/09/2018 at 08:59, Odyssey said:

I am struck by how little support there is for Hamilton. Why is no one interested in seeing her Juluet?

I wouldn´t completely write her off because she was a wonderful Manon, absolutely incredible and moving. However my decision to see her as Juliet would not only depend on her partner - agree that he needs to be passionate - but also which other dancers are casted. Like I said I would love to see some debuts from the younger dancers and would prefer them over Hamilton actually.

On 18/09/2018 at 09:40, Jamesrhblack said:

Did anybody see Hamilton during her principal sojourn in Dresden? My understanding is that she took the position to get the opportunities that were not coming her way in the classics at the Royal Ballet and I note that on her return she has this season been taken out of The Nutcracker, the only “classic” in which she had been cast at principal level here.

I have seen her in Dresden in Swan Lake and La Bayadere (unfortunately not in Sleeping Beauty). In Dresden she was definitely a star and always a pleasure to watch in the classical roles. But sadly, as much as I like the Dresden Company - Dresden is not London and the Company not The Royal Ballet. The concurrence at RB is so strong and I would definitely see other dancers above her in the classical roles, not only from the pricipals and first soloists but also soloists. I just see her at RB more suited to McGregor and MacMillan...

Regarding the Hallberg/Osipovatopic....well, it would be a chance to see them together and to see if Hallberg convinces me. But a little bit like Hamilton it depends on how who else will debuting from the Juliets and Romeos. My bank account unfortunately has borders and if there are other attractive options, well...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Esmeralda said:

I wouldn´t completely write her off because she was a wonderful Manon, absolutely incredible and moving. However my decision to see her as Juliet would not only depend on her partner - agree that he needs to be passionate - but also which other dancers are casted. Like I said I would love to see some debuts from the younger dancers and would prefer them over Hamilton actually.

I have seen her in Dresden in Swan Lake and La Bayadere (unfortunately not in Sleeping Beauty). In Dresden she was definitely a star and always a pleasure to watch in the classical roles. But sadly, as much as I like the Dresden Company - Dresden is not London and the Company not The Royal Ballet. The concurrence at RB is so strong and I would definitely see other dancers above her in the classical roles, not only from the pricipals and first soloists but also soloists. I just see her at RB more suited to McGregor and MacMillan...

Regarding the Hallberg/Osipovatopic....well, it would be a chance to see them together and to see if Hallberg convinces me. But a little bit like Hamilton it depends on how who else will debuting from the Juliets and Romeos. My bank account unfortunately has borders and if there are other attractive options, well...

This is interesting to read Esmeralda. I’ve not seen the Dresden company but one of my artists is conducting Labyrinth and Swan :Lake there this season so I’ll see them in action then. I appreciate this comment isn’t relevant to Spring 2019 casting ...

22 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Thanks for the discussion that my post has generated. I have only seen her dance twice  ( MacMillan and McGregor roles) and both times she had an individual quality that stood out for me. As this is a thread about the casting for the spring, I would just add that I hope she does have the opportunity to demonstrate what she has gained from her two years in Dresden and reprise the role of Juliet. I note that she has been partnering Roberto Bolle in the balcony pas de deux at the World Ballet Festival -  so he must rate her :)

I did see Melissa Hamilton dance with Roberto Bolle in the R&J balcony scene at the World Ballet Festival, but unfortunately she failed to impress me. She did have beautiful lines making lovely shapes and her technique was good but there was simply no passion or emotions felt in her performance. At another program at WBF, Sarah Lamb danced with Marcelo Gomes in the same pas de deux, and I was amazed what difference Lamb could make, so delicate, touching, sheer joy, although it might have been her first Juliet with Gomes.

I also saw Hamilton as Mary Vetsera in Mayerling a few years ago (with Pennefather) and then I was not moved by her, I thought her interpretation rather dull. (as I was overwhelmed by Galeazzi in the same role the day before)  

On another program at the WBF, Hamilton danced a duet from Bigonzetti's Caravaggio (with Bolle again) and she was brilliant, gorgeous with that, so I guess her strength lies in contemporary works. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 16/09/2018 at 12:12, Vanartus said:

Having seen Hallberg and Osipova yesterday, I'm hoping for that combo in R&J!

You'll be getting your wish Vanartus!

I am also excited about seeing Osipova/Hallberg, but also Stix-Brunell/Bracewell; O'Sullivan/Sambe; and Hayward/Corrales! 

What a run of RJ it will be! 

• Like 4

• alison changed the title to Royal Ballet potential Spring 2019 casting