nycitybird

More problems at New York City Ballet

For people who are not aware of Taylor Stanley who was praised earlier in this thread ... here he is rehearsing the opening of the PDD from Symphony in 3 Movements with the ever ravishing Tiler Peck.  

• Like 2

Statement given by Teresa Reichlen at this year's Fall Gala--just click on "see more" to read it:

• Like 3

The first half of Alastair Macaulay's review of the Gala - see today's Links - is taken up with the significance of that statement.

Posted (edited)

UPDATE - 

An article in Dance Magazine released as of today's date publishes a statement from AGMA (the separate union covering dancers in the United States) noting that both Ramasar and Catazaro were offered NYCB reinstatement as instructed by the Union.  While Catazaro declined, Ramasar will be re-joining NYCB and undergoing counselling on the required standards for his future conduct.  

The article is here: https://www.dancemagazine.com/zachary-catazaro-amar-ramasar-firing-determined-wrongful-2635059461.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1 and the tweet with Ramasar's decision, from Michael Cooper of the New York Times, is as referenced below. 

https://twitter.com/coopnytimes/status/1119257641593769985

The New York Times article on the same is here:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/19/arts/dance/city-ballet-amar-ramasar-sexually-explicit-texts.html

On another note ... Regardless of what AGMA may have decided ... 

The newly cemented NYCB management seems to have got off on a very positive footing.  I applaud the fact that many noted NYCB artists from the past are now being brought in to coach works that they originated or were closed associated with - either through Balanchine or Robbins - and, too, that the upcoming 2019/20 season - announced in good order - shows a substantive return to the repertory of several works that have been left unseen for decades. 

On behalf of us all:  Thank Heavens.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I am not at all happy about this.   The disgraceful and disrespectful way they treated some of their female colleagues seems to be acceptable because it wasn't in direct relation to their work. At least Catazaro did the decent thing and declined the offer. I will be interested to see how Ramasar reintegrates.  If I were a ballerina in that company I would refuse to dance with him and could never trust him, counselling or not.    But as Bruce says, let's hope the company can now move forward in a positive way.  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I am not at all happy about this.   The disgraceful and disrespectful way they treated some of their female colleagues seems to be acceptable because it wasn't in direct relation to their work. At least Catazaro did the decent thing and declined the offer. I will be interested to see how Ramasar reintegrates.  If I were a ballerina in that company I would refuse to dance with him and could never trust him, counselling or not.    But as Bruce says, let's hope the company can now move forward in a positive way.  

Reading the article, it seems that the judgement handed down was less about whether actions were ‘acceptable’ or otherwise; and more about whether suspension rather than termination was the more appropriate remedy for non acceptable texting.

Yes I got that.  But implicitly, if they have decided that these men don’t merit their contracts being terminated instead of suspended, they are saying that their actions are acceptable and that it’s fine to return them to dance in a company that they have dishonoured and tainted.  I wonder what you have to do to get fairly fired at NYCB?

• Like 10

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

- and, too, that the upcoming 2019/20 season - announced in good order - shows a substantive return to the repertory of several works that have been left unseen for decades. 

I admire the subtle way you have left it to us all to draw the obvious comparison. Nice one!

Edited by David
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes I got that.  But implicitly, if they have decided that these men don’t merit their contracts being terminated instead of suspended, they are saying that their actions are acceptable and that it’s fine to return them to dance in a company that they have dishonoured and tainted.  I wonder what you have to do to get fairly fired at NYCB?

Yep.

Not to mention, that it also implies that the right of the female dancers to have a safe, dignified work environment is not a priority for AGMA if it gets in the way of the career of any man causing their distress. 

Edited by snowweisz
  • Like 11

Interesting to see Ramasar already back in the mix - & with an old stomping partner in Mearns (see Sat Mat casting in final movement of BSQ.)  Wonderful to at last see Danchig-Waring  back in full throttle.  Let's pray it can last a little longer this time.  He (and we) deserve it.  

https://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/NYCB-Casting_May-14-19-2019.pdf

On 21/04/2019 at 06:33, snowweisz said:

Yep.

Not to mention, that it also implies that the right of the female dancers to have a safe, dignified work environment is not a priority for AGMA if it gets in the way of the career of any man causing their distress. 

I get the distinct impression that the entire industry regards female dancers as a disposble commodity.

• Like 2