More problems at New York City Ballet

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Today's edition of The Times carries a photo of the NYCB accuser and her former boyfriend (both named) in order to illustrate the increasing popularity of dresses with pockets among young women.

That's pretty special work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, capybara said:

Today's edition of The Times carries a photo of the NYCB accuser and her former boyfriend (both named) in order to illustrate the increasing popularity of dresses with pockets among young women.

I saw this too and was incredibly surprised anyone thought it was an appropriate photo to use. 

When going through this morning's Times, as a fashion-related thing, the article did not catch my eye.  However, the point having been made here, I've now looked again.  There's no mention of the NYCB allegations or anything of the sort there and, in my copy, Mr Chase is NOT named but referred to as "her ex-boyfriend."  However, I agree that it's a regrettable choice by whichever editor thought to include it at this time.  That said, I doubt that even 1% of the readership will be aware of any current relevance.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2018 at 06:31, stella said:

New York City Ballet performs 60 ballets a year, and I’ve often seen their dancers claim in interviews to have only 2 to 3 weeks rehearsal of a ballet before a performance.

60? Can you explain your figure? 2 to 3 weeks rehearsal for a typical one-act plotless ballet is fine in most cases.

• Like 1

I am very surprised that the NYCB Board (who are themselves currently responsible for NYCB hiring and firing as opposed to the 'interim artistic team') have not insisted that the following film segment - [initiated by Sarah Jessica Parker - currently a Vice Chairman of that august body - and who is, of course, best known for the television series 'Sex and the City'] -  on 'The Men at NYCB' be taken down.  Many of the words spoken now sound distinctly and certainly ironically sour.  Let this be a warning that this kind of film - however well made in and of itself - can  come back to bite if not specifically framed and pertinent to a specific artistic/creative work.  Megan Fairchild's facial response in light of the comments of her now ex-husband's comments herein sums it up for me.  Well done girl.  Moreover Peter Martins' words at the tail end in an advertising excerpt for 'the next episode' now sound hugely prophetic - OR CERTAINLY SHOULD - given the intervening suggested occurrences. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Didn't I say that, Janet???? .... "I am very surprised that the NYCB Board ... have not insisted that the following film segment .... on 'The Men at NYCB' be taken down.'  ..... I realise of course that the interim clauses makes the actual statement itself convoluted.  Blame it on a 'Latinate' education :) 

1 minute ago, Bruce Wall said:

Didn't I say that, Janet???? .... "I am very surprised that the NYCB Board ... have not insisted that the following film segment .... on 'The Men at NYCB' be taken down.'  ..... I realise of course that the interim clauses makes the actual statement itself convoluted.  Blame it on a 'Latinate' education :) 

No you didn't say that.  You asked a question as to whether the board should require it to be taken down.  That's not the same thing as whether or not you think it should be taken down.

Forgive me, bangorballetboy, but to me it looks like a statement, e.g., - 'I'm very surprised that ... '  I would have thought that implies that I believe they should.  ....  Still this is all semantics.  Not to worry.  Have a great day. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

If I might be permitted a moment of reflection, I have often thought that the lengthy, periodic sentence, when well constructed - and here I think of the late Bernard Levin's regular articles in The Times, often on the satisfactions wrought for him by Wagner, or perhaps revealing that, once dead, the name of Kiri Te Kanawa might be found engraved upon his heart - is something of an art, one requiring much revision and polishing such that, once one reaches an end, one has carried one's readers to a clear and unambiguous conclusion.  Or something of the sort.

(In my early RAF Staff Training written exercises, I recall a comment that my style might be better suited to Time magazine and that I'd need to rein things in and simplify!  To what extent I succeeded, I must leave to others to decide.)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

If you think it should be taken down I fail to understand why you brought attention to it by linking it.  That was the reason for my question!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

If I might be permitted a moment of reflection, I have often thought that the lengthy, periodic sentence, when well constructed - and here I think of the late Bernard Levin's regular articles in The Times, often on the satisfactions wrought for him by Wagner, or perhaps revealing that, once dead, the name of Kiri Te Kanawa might be found engraved upon his heart - is something of an art, one requiring much revision and polishing such that, once one reaches an end, one has carried one's readers to a clear and unambiguous conclusion.  Or something of the sort.

(In my early RAF Staff Training written exercises, I recall a comment that my style might be better suited to Time magazine and that I'd need to rein things in and simplify!  To what extent I succeeded, I must leave to others to decide.)

Bless you, Ian.  That's fantastic.  Now what, I wonder, would it look like in 'text-speak'?  As with the RAF - so much - including those training sessions - will have changed forever I'm sure :)   There's still part of me that is very glad to have been born when I was.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

As I read this, I'm also thinking of the late Clement Freud on Just a Minute.

Of course, life moves on.  In my industry, we are now taught to write in clear English.  It's better to write in sentences of no more than 20 words and to avoid the passive, where possible.  We should also avoid jargon, words in Latin, verbosity and phrases which can be better expressed using fewer, clearer words.

Doesn't always work, mind!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

As I read this, I'm also thinking of the late Clement Freud on Just a Minute.

Of course, life moves on.  In my industry, we are now taught to write in clear English.  It's better to write in sentences of no more than 20 words and to avoid the passive, where possible.  We should also avoid jargon, words in Latin, verbosity and phrases which can be better expressed using fewer, clearer words.

Doesn't always work, mind!

And leads to a rather dull use of language! Clear English is indeed good for most work purposes, but for personal communications it's nice to have a bit of variety.

• Like 3

It is the amended complaint that contains more detail about the offending (and IMO highly offensive) texts and images exchanged among the defendants (who, as the supplemental summons indicates, now include Ramasar, Catazaro & the previously unidentified donor).

I was appalled when I read the original complaint. After reading the amended one, I am now sick to my stomach.

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

UPDATE - 

An article in Dance Magazine released as of today's date publishes a statement from AGMA (the separate union covering dancers in the United States) noting that both Ramasar and Catazaro were offered NYCB reinstatement as instructed by the Union.  While Catazaro declined, Ramasar will be re-joining NYCB and undergoing counselling on the required standards for his future conduct.  

The article is here: https://www.dancemagazine.com/zachary-catazaro-amar-ramasar-firing-determined-wrongful-2635059461.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1 and the tweet with Ramasar's decision, from Michael Cooper of the New York Times, is as referenced below. 

https://twitter.com/coopnytimes/status/1119257641593769985

The New York Times article on the same is here:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/19/arts/dance/city-ballet-amar-ramasar-sexually-explicit-texts.html

On another note ... Regardless of what AGMA may have decided ... 

The newly cemented NYCB management seems to have got off on a very positive footing.  I applaud the fact that many noted NYCB artists from the past are now being brought in to coach works that they originated or were closed associated with - either through Balanchine or Robbins - and, too, that the upcoming 2019/20 season - announced in good order - shows a substantive return to the repertory of several works that have been left unseen for decades. 

On behalf of us all:  Thank Heavens.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I am not at all happy about this.   The disgraceful and disrespectful way they treated some of their female colleagues seems to be acceptable because it wasn't in direct relation to their work. At least Catazaro did the decent thing and declined the offer. I will be interested to see how Ramasar reintegrates.  If I were a ballerina in that company I would refuse to dance with him and could never trust him, counselling or not.    But as Bruce says, let's hope the company can now move forward in a positive way.  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I am not at all happy about this.   The disgraceful and disrespectful way they treated some of their female colleagues seems to be acceptable because it wasn't in direct relation to their work. At least Catazaro did the decent thing and declined the offer. I will be interested to see how Ramasar reintegrates.  If I were a ballerina in that company I would refuse to dance with him and could never trust him, counselling or not.    But as Bruce says, let's hope the company can now move forward in a positive way.  

Reading the article, it seems that the judgement handed down was less about whether actions were ‘acceptable’ or otherwise; and more about whether suspension rather than termination was the more appropriate remedy for non acceptable texting.