Private Health Insurance

sarahw

Hi

DD had a private policy through school for Lower School. The Upper School she is going to doesn't offer a policy. Has anyone arranged a policy independently at all?

The main issue is that the excess was £100 with school policy. The smallest excess I am looking at currently is £250 which covers a lot of physio sessions which is the main thing we are likely to use it for......

Any input gratefully received. Thanks

Hi, I don’t know if you yourself have any private health insurance? I have added my DD onto my policy with Aviva. Costs around £25 (rising annually) extra per month on top of what I pay for me so worked out heaps cheaper than school policy with no excess to pay (though done treatment restrictions) I understand this can continue as long as she is in full time education & any younger siblings get covered for free. So far - touch wood - has worked out well & any haberdashery physio she has had in past 4 years has been fully covered & bilked direct. Again check provider with the physio etc generally used by schools as not all insurers will pay direct or even will include all health care provider establishments. Lots of small print worth reading wether it’s an add on to a family policy (check if any household members can join a work policy too as these often fir small extra can add on student dependants - will be a cost & tax implication too if it’s employer subsidised) 

As with anything, worth shopping around for best deal.... thinking esp of type of routine things you’d DD may need to utilise (I think at and stage all need physio so definitely have that as an included option - & check levels as may be able to adjust number of visits/annual amount claimable etc... phew.... almost as much work as dissing out funding & auditions 🤪 Good Luck! 

My DD is 19 and has had a policy with Bupa since 13 ( private one) it covers her anywhere in the country and has London included. Covers everything including unlimited physio appointments. Cost rises with age even though she has never claimed at first it was £400ish now £600ish.x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just an update to complete the thread.

We renewed with an (individual) continuation policy with AXA/PPP with whom she was covered under the Lower School group policy.

It is actually cheaper by £250 than we were paying to school which surprised me! It's £100 excess and covers physio as well as usual medical stuff.

So - if you have/are planning to renew with a school policy it may be worth looking at getting cover yourself. The only major disadvantage to not using a school policy would be if you have a pre-existing condition - from memory we weren't asked about any prior to taking up the school policy. For us as this counted as a continuation policy any cover for any pre-existing conditions continued.

The other issue is that physio referral normally needs to go via a GP but I know at school they had negotiated a direct to physio policy.

Hope that is clear!

Hi - sounds a good solution & a worth while cost saving!

just interested to know... is the £100 excess for physio too? ie. do you still pay the first £100 of any cycle of physio treatment plan per condition? Be useful to know as I will possibly want to reassess at renewal time...thanks in advance!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Hi - sounds a good solution & a worth while cost saving!

just interested to know... is the £100 excess for physio too? ie. do you still pay the first £100 of any cycle of physio treatment plan per condition? Be useful to know as I will possibly want to reassess at renewal time...thanks in advance!

Hi, When I was researching BUPA policies I was told that the excess would be charged just once in any 12 month period of when one claim was made.  I can't say the same about AXA as unfortunately they couldn't find the accommodation address on their system so refused to quote, even when I tried to use the schools postal address, which is less than 400 metres away they still refused! 

@Peanut68 - excess is £100 per person per year. So multiple claims don't require further excess payment.

Excess was £100 but adjustable.

With AXA a Dr who uses AXA advised us to go for full outpatient cover (otherwise hospital choice limited) and also not the cheaper option where if you can be seen in NHS in 6 weeks use that (applies to first appt not treatment). I went for mental health cover as so lacking in NHS.

HTH

Thanks to this thread I checked our private health insurance which we have through OH work. Thankfully both non DD and DD are fully covered where ever they are whilst they are still dependants. Non  DD is off to university tomorrow and DD is still at home both still financially dependent on us, so that’s both of them covered.