The Royal Ballet: Mayerling, Autumn 2018

I never notice any coming up in the Grand Tier (perhaps they are in highest demand and therefore usually sell out to wheelchair users) but I often see ones becoming available at the edges of Stalls Circle B-C at the same time as those in Balcony B-C.

• Like 1

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/08/2018 at 19:58, saki said:

To come back to Mayerling - other than Hirano, who is debuting

That could be exciting. I had the felicity of seeing Bonelli/Morera last year as my first live Mayerling, was so blown away I went to the box office in the interval and bought a ticket for that night (Soares/Cuthbertson). Then, thanks to @Bluebird I got one for Watson/Osipova as well. I would happily have watched any of those casts again, and ... well, the whole trip was timed around those shows, as Mayerling wasn't one of the cinema relays! 

Edited by Sophoife
Wrong content window for original content.
  • Like 3

I’d be really grateful for a bit of advice about who to see in Mayerling.  I’ve previously seen Edward Watson and Carlos Acosta perform the role. I’ve booked to see the live relay, but I’m unsure about whether to see Hirano, Soares or Bonelli. 😬 I’m sure they’ll all give very different interpretations of Prince Rudolf. Any thoughts? 

Edited by imogensevans

2 hours ago, imogensevans said:

I’d be really grateful for a bit of advice about who to see in Mayerling.  I’ve previously seen Edward Watson and Carlos Acosta perform the role. I’ve booked to see the live relay, but I’m unsure about whether to see Hirano, Soares or Bonelli. 😬 I’m sure they’ll all give very different interpretations of Prince Rudolf. Any thoughts? 

Having seen Watson. McRae, Soares and Bonelli last time around, I'd say Bonelli. A beautiful performance, especially with Morera as Mary.

• Like 1

Bonelli, with Morera and Cowley, was the absolute stand out cast last time for me: I was lucky enough to see all four. As it happens, he and Morera are the only cast I can see this time around because of Ring duties and I'm looking forward to it very much, albeit with a little trepidation lest they are unable to match eighteen months on what remains seared in to my memory as one of my great ballet experiences...

• Like 5

I have just received this e-mail. So sorry for Edward Watson. Another wonderful opportunity for Matthew Ball.

Cast change for The Royal Ballet's Mayerling

8 October 2018 at 7.30pm
13 October 2018 at 1.30pm
13 October 2018 at 7pm
19 October 2018 at 7.30pm

20 October 2018 at 7pm

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Mayerling. We are contacting you to let you know that due to injury, Edward Watson will be replaced by Ryoichi Hirano as Crown Prince Rudolf for three performances of Mayerling on 8, 13 and 19 October. 

Ryoichi Hirano will be replaced by Matthew Ball as Crown Prince Rudolf for the matinee performance on 13 October and the evening performance on 20 October.

Edited by capybara

I've moved most of the cast-change information over to the RB Autumn casting thread here:

in order to keep it more or less in one place - and to keep this thread free for what I hope will be more positive news on the run.

Matthew Ball has just posted a lovely twitter comment about taking on the role of Rudolf along with a picture in rehearsal. Melissa Hamilton has also posted a picture of them both in the stage rehearsal on her instagram account. Interesting that she has opted to portray Mary as a brunette again. I think Sarah Lamb has remained fair when she has played this role, but I may be wrong.

Have just looked at some photos on ROH site and I am wrong about Sarah Lamb, so I guess all Mary’s are brunettes.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Matthew Ball has just posted a lovely twitter comment about taking on the role of Rudolf along with a picture in rehearsal. Melissa Hamilton has also posted a picture of them both in the stage rehearsal on her instagram account.

Please could you post the twitter piece from Matthew Ball on here? I can't seem to get it - maybe because I'm not on twitter. Thanks.

I've been reading this forum for a while now, and have always found it informative, entertaining and so well-mannered.

Given this, and the fact I'm getting all excited about the start of the season, I thought I'd take the plunge, join, and 'contribute'!

I can't promise to be either informative or entertaining, but I can promise to always strive to be well-mannered.

With my focus firmly fixed on the Mayerling run starting tonight, I thought it worth mentioning that the excellent South Bank Special from the 70's on the creation, performance and historical context of the ballet is available on YouTube (just search for mayerling south bank). The four parts add up to about two hours viewing, and I found it invaluable in 'setting the scene' for my visits over the coming weeks. They certainly don't seem to make documentaries like that any more!

• Like 13

• John Mallinson changed the title to The Royal Ballet: Mayerling, Autumn 2018