Can you put insoles into ballet shoes? (not pointe)

ScottishDancerMum

My 9 year old is complaining of sore feet in ballet class.  She wears So Danca canvas split soles, but often the seams on the leather soles seem to dig onto the bottoms of her feet.  Is there any way of putting an insert into the shoe that won't impact how it looks or performs?  Grateful for any advice.

I actually had trouble with how thin ballet shoes are, after returning to adult ballet this year at age 55. I put some thin insoles into my canvas flats, but they moved around. So I stitched them into place and that worked. If you're sewing them in, you could also cut out the middle and sew them separately around the toes and the heel so you keep the split-sole arch?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

Shygirlsmum - She used to wear full soles, but switched to split soles last year when she started Ballet West Associates (that's the only shoe they allow).  I remember it being a bit of issue with the full soles too, the leather seems to stop before the end of her heel, so her heel would land on the seam (we tried various brands and it seemed to just be her feet).  She's very thin, and doesn't seem to have much cushion in her feet - I just know how my feet feel after hours in dead-flat shoes!  I'll have another look for full soles for class.

Bluebird22 - I like this idea!  But Ill still have to find something that might work for her heel.  Thanks for this :)

CarainNZ - I think I'll get some insoles and just try it.  Anything to help her get a bit more relief.

• Like 1

Have you considered MDM dance shoes? They do leather and canvas split soles, but have put basically an orthotic/full sole on the inside of the shoe to help stabilise the foot and provide a bit of cushioning and support. The new Intrinsic Profile is a stretch canvas split sole  and is a lot more flattering than some of the previous designs by this company! I personally don't like them for my feet, but I know girls at my studio who swear by them for injury rehabilitation and comfort in general.

Not sure what the stock options are in the UK but here's the website, they have 'fit quiz' which makes it pretty easy to fit yourself online :) https://www.mdmdance.com/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Viv said:

Have you considered MDM dance shoes? They do leather and canvas split soles, but have put basically an orthotic/full sole on the inside of the shoe to help stabilise the foot and provide a bit of cushioning and support. The new Intrinsic Profile is a stretch canvas split sole  and is a lot more flattering than some of the previous designs by this company! I personally don't like them for my feet, but I know girls at my studio who swear by them for injury rehabilitation and comfort in general.

Not sure what the stock options are in the UK but here's the website, they have 'fit quiz' which makes it pretty easy to fit yourself online :) https://www.mdmdance.com/

Thanks for this! I'll definitely look into this. Her Associates class insists on the So Danca shoes but she could wear them for her other classes. Thanks! 

I think it is Freed have padded insoles in their narrow ballet shoes. I can't honestly remember if it is in the heel area though or not, definitely down under the ball of the foot as my girls often end up with these as they are a better fit on them. 

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fast-Foot-Pain-Relief-Plantar-Fasciitis-Gel-Heel-Support-Cushion-Insoles-Pad-Cup/401376477526?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D52945%26meid%3D52b50db525d44ca697149925ab70b2b6%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D183160137436%26itm%3D401376477526&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

one daughter has worn these in her jazz shoes but I don't think she ever tried them in her ballet shoes. Not sure if they would work very well. She had one in the form of an ankle support and then as it had the padded sole bit under the heel it came with a spare padded sole bit for the other foot to balance out.

2 hours ago, Dance*is*life said:

Does she have to have canvas split soled shoes?  There are leather split soles by Bloch, with a canvas insert under the arch. I prefer these for my students because they give more support to the feet.

Yes, canvas split soles.  Her associates program insists on one particular brand only, so we're trying to find a way of making the ones she has as comfortable as possible.

I'm off to the shops today to see what I can find.  Insoles, cosmetic sponge pads... let's see what we can come up with!

On 28/08/2018 at 10:21, ScottishDancerMum said:

Yes, canvas split soles.  Her associates program insists on one particular brand only, so we're trying to find a way of making the ones she has as comfortable as possible.

I'm off to the shops today to see what I can find.  Insoles, cosmetic sponge pads... let's see what we can come up with!

I'm sorry but that is ridiculous.  Unlss this brand of shoe does multiple widths and depths then surely comfort and safety and long term foot health is more important than anything else.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 2

Totally agree Pictures.

Everyone's feet are totally individual to them and while I can understand specifying such things as "Split Sole", "Canvas" or "Ribbons not elastics" that is as far as it should go, certainly in class (as opposed on onstage where there may be a case for imposing a uniform look).

• Like 1

On 22/08/2018 at 11:06, ScottishDancerMum said:

Thanks everyone!

Shygirlsmum - She used to wear full soles, but switched to split soles last year when she started Ballet West Associates (that's the only shoe they allow).  I remember it being a bit of issue with the full soles too, the leather seems to stop before the end of her heel, so her heel would land on the seam (we tried various brands and it seemed to just be her feet).  She's very thin, and doesn't seem to have much cushion in her feet - I just know how my feet feel after hours in dead-flat shoes!  I'll have another look for full soles for class.

My DD wears her convertible tights inside out as she doesn’t like the seams around the feet especially the toes. Never full tights. Her feet are not particularly small 5 1/2 and average width but incredibly boney so she feels every lump and bump. Maybe worth a try. 

Or the gel filled ‘party soles’ bought from Boots the Chemist. Designed for party shoes as they are just big enough for the balls of the feet. I’ve worn them for my stage ‘New Yorkers’ which certainly helped 

• Like 2

On 29 August 2018 at 16:22, Picturesinthefirelight said:

I'm sorry but that is ridiculous.  Unlss this brand of shoe does multiple widths and depths then surely comfort and safety and long term foot health is more important than anything else.

It's a nice shoe, and they do wear them for performances so they need to be the same.  We seem to have found a workaround though - So Danca makes another version of the same shoe with a smaller heel bump and narrower profile.  You can't tell they are different shoes when they are on, but Daughter liked the fit of the second ones much better.

• Like 1