Best toe pads for pointe shoes? Help and advice anyone TIA

MumToTu

My dd, 13, has asked me if I could get her some pads to wear in her pointe shoes.

She already wears a gel big toe pad and lambs wool / but after trying out a friends pad - she found it more comfortable to dance en pointe with the pads especially when dancing more intensively in her show etc.

She has been en pointe 2 years and wears a grishko 2007 in hard shank shoe.

Any slimline ,  breathable ones anyone can  recommend?  She suffers from mild excema so breathable would be good !

Any reviews or recommendations we would be so grateful for 😊

TIA

Edited by Snowflake
Spelling

My dad started with silicone pads but found them too bulky - narrow feet and sweaty.

Now uses tendu student which are fabric covered gel and less bulky and more breathable.

https://www.movedancewear.com/pointe_shoes_accessories_pointe_shoe_accessories-tendu_student_toe_pad/1975/?sku=TE T1002&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1oDv_dH73AIVi813Ch3v9gbfEAQYASABEgJPPvD_BwE

Large size is what you would probably need. DD has size 2 1/2 feet and in large (don't know who small fits!!)

But it's all so personal!

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 1

Dd wears Ouch Pouch Pro (thin and only padded on one side) in Freeds and only Silicone big toe caps in Gaynors.   

A very important point is that if your dd adds toe pads in this long after her shoes were fitted, it may change the fit and make the shoes too tight.  It's always best to be fitted for shoes with the padding you intend to use.  Is she due a new pair of shoes anytime soon? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Dd wears Ouch Pouch Pro (thin and only padded on one side) in Freeds and only Silicone big toe caps in Gaynors.   

A very important point is that if your dd adds toe pads in this long after her shoes were fitted, it may change the fit and make the shoes too tight.  It's always best to be fitted for shoes with the padding you intend to use.  Is she due a new pair of shoes anytime soon? 

Thanks so much Anna C

She’s got 3 newish pairs on the go at the moment typically ! 😢 

She’s started to rotate them and I bought an extra pair just incase she broke one of the 2 pairs at summer school...!

Hence the hope of extra slim lined ones to trial until her next pointe shoe fitting.... 😂 If only it was that simple ....

Thanks for all the recommendations ! We will look at them all and try on at her next fitting X

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 1

I found Gaynor Mndon toe tape very helpful... thin but effective as you can  cut to custom to place around toes or onto foot wherever needed. Expensive at around £16!! I do note it says 3M inside the roll so suspect it’s just a standard 3M product - it’s quite like craft tape you use for 3D effects but before trying anything do perhaps check it’s suitable for skin use... needed to be easy remove & hyperallergenic for some..... anyone else tried anything standard & thus probably cheaper?

Edited by Peanut68
Typo

3 hours ago, sarahw said:

My dad started with silicone pads but found them too bulky - narrow feet and sweaty.

Now uses tendu student which are fabric covered gel and less bulky and more breathable.

https://www.movedancewear.com/pointe_shoes_accessories_pointe_shoe_accessories-tendu_student_toe_pad/1975/?sku=TE T1002&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1oDv_dH73AIVi813Ch3v9gbfEAQYASABEgJPPvD_BwE

Large size is what you would probably need. DD has size 2 1/2 feet and in large (don't know who small fits!!)

But it's all so personal!

Was it really your Dad Sarahw ???

😀

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Was it really your Dad Sarahw ???

😀

This has made me giggle and think of my non dancing Dad in pointe shoes!!  😂 😆 

Thanks Sarahw we will definitely give these a try - I will invest in some toe tape too - it sounds great for blisters xx

Edited by Snowflake
Spelling
  • Like 1

The GM toe tape is a 3M manufactured product but it’s actually a spongy tape, rather than regular tape and I would highly recommend! I also tell dancers to peel it off their toes and stick it to the inside of the packet and re-use ;) We sell it for £7.50.

i second Anna’s comment that you shouldn’t try and fit pads into shoes that have been fitted without pads. I find even the addition of toe tips can make a difference to the fit! X

• Like 1

Hmmm....wondering if the roll I bought was extra long or maybe I remembered the price wrong? It will probably outlive my pointe shoe days of course either way but should I ever need to buy again will be checking your website first Shiela as your price seems good! 😀

21 hours ago, Sheila Beelam said:

The GM toe tape is a 3M manufactured product but it’s actually a spongy tape, rather than regular tape and I would highly recommend! I also tell dancers to peel it off their toes and stick it to the inside of the packet and re-use ;) We sell it for £7.50.

i second Anna’s comment that you shouldn’t try and fit pads into shoes that have been fitted without pads. I find even the addition of toe tips can make a difference to the fit! X

Thanks @Sheila Beelam this sounds really good 💕 I am ordering dd some now ! 

Thank you so much for your help & advice Xxx