Make up at Upper schools

Boogalou

I think it would depend on whether it was a Ballet or MT type course you were doing! As I also have heard people say some MT type upper schools ask them to wear full makeup (sorry don’t know which ones!). Dd starts at a Ballet school come September and is not planning on wearing full makeup everyday! Ie no foundation but just eyebrows and mascara! A. Don’t think it’s good for the skin, B. The time it would take  in the morning to put it all on and C. Imagine the cost!!!! 🤪🤪

Edited by Dancing unicorn

My dd auditioned for the hammond, her dance teacher advised us it was not suited for a ballet dancer, more musical theatre children.

My dd was offered full scholarship, Then the package arrived in the post,full make up every day is a requirement,start off with the Base,then blusher, eyeliner mascara,eye shadow, red lip stick,I phoned up to ask if this is a requirement,and was told for all the musical theatre classes, tap,jazz,and singing it is a rule for all.

My dd decided that having to put that much make up on every morning,would not be ok for a ballet dancer, when the time could be better spent doing stretching or studying.

So yes most musical theatre schools will require the same,but maybe not ballet 

• Like 1

Performers used to require this and were known for it. I am not sure if they still do but would imagine so. I have heard Chantry do. You can usually tell from the auditions as if they ask for full stage make-up then classes may be the same. LSC used to be optional for jazz/mt classes.

Edited by Mummy twinkle toes
More info

The ones I've heard like their students to wear full makeup are Bird, Laines and Urdang - agree with the comment that it is often apparent for auditions.

My DD trained at the Hammond - there was no requirement there to wear full makeup every day - just for open days, assessments and then obviously performance level make up for performances.  Some students would wear light make up - foundation, mascara daily- personal preference. I have a feeling that the item most worn was the red lipstick - but even then more for the MT strand than the dance course

• Like 1

My eldest was hauled up in front of the whole class by one of the teachers on her first day at MT college because she wasn't wearing enough makeup! She has always been one of those teenagers that doesn't see the point in the studio as it just melts away. Different for stage but as thats for only a few hours there is obviously a slight difference to 8hrs all day everyday. Needless to say she had to succumb. 

Youngest off to US this Sept and appreciates its part of the grooming presentation process (actually factored into the timetable to teach the girls) but far more subtle in appearance than MT requirements. Really does depend on the school/course. 

• Like 1

I asked my dd (going into 2nd year of a ballet course). She said it depends how early their first class is! If they have to be in school for an 8am class its the minimum possible. Her idea of minimal is still eyes brows and concealer. Tbh its an age related thing too, I know quite a few 17 year olds (not dancing) who would not go out of the house without full make up on. Yes it is expensive I have well used loyalty cards for Boots, Superdrug etc and we are on first name terms with the girl on the Benefit counter.

3 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

My DD trained at the Hammond - there was no requirement there to wear full makeup every day - just for open days, assessments and then obviously performance level make up for performances.  Some students would wear light make up - foundation, mascara daily- personal preference. I have a feeling that the item most worn was the red lipstick - but even then more for the MT strand than the dance course

My dd currently trains at the Hammond on the dance course and rarely wears full makeup day to day.  I would definitely agree it’s personal preference although of course they are expected to be well presented.

Dd is starting at Hammond seniors in September & we have received no information about make up. Her personal preference is to wear a full face & indeed she did so in Lower School but others don’t. 

There is a very specific make up list that is distributed to Hammond students for performances (though it’s a bit out of date some eye shadow colours are discontinued now) 

I have asked my Dd about Hammond rules and she has said that it is personal preference and most girls wear light make up, but for classes it is not an absolute requirement. As already stated here, performances are a different matter and although in the seniors there is not the list of colours as in lower school, it was made clear what was expected by each teacher for each dance performed.  

Dd is at Hammond lower school and knows the situation for their US. We were just wondering about how strict other schools were for their dance courses,  she wears make up for shows happily but doesn't see the point for everyday training. ☺️

• Like 1

To be honest I find it rather depressing that a teacher thought someone was ill because she wasn't wearing makeup and another child hauled up in front of the whole school for not wearing enough make up! 

Of course in the performance arts you have to learn how to apply and look good in make up etc and for shows ....obvious requirement and maybe senior auditions makes sense ....but daily class....rather absurd I think whether musical theatre or ballet in my view. 

By the time girls reach 16 so Upper school level I would say could be a personal choice whether they wanted to wear make up on a daily basis or not but I don't think should be compulsory at all.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, LinMM said:

To be honest I find it rather depressing that a teacher thought someone was ill because she wasn't wearing makeup and another child hauled up in front of the whole school for not wearing enough make up! 

Of course in the performance arts you have to learn how to apply and look good in make up etc and for shows ....obvious requirement and maybe senior auditions makes sense ....but daily class....rather absurd I think whether musical theatre or ballet in my view. 

By the time girls reach 16 so Upper school level I would say could be a personal choice whether they wanted to wear make up on a daily basis or not but I don't think should be compulsory at all.

If someone is very naturally pale as I am and people are not used to seeing them without make up (I used to wear it as a teen but very light so you actually couldn't tell I was wearing it but it just gave me some colour) then if you suddenly see them without  the resulting unusual paleness might lead others to believe they were ill.

I think its common at a lot of more musical theatre type colleges to have to wear make up.  There are certain ones in particular that have a reputation for pulling students up on it.

I find it weird tbh. As long as you know how to apply stage make-up, that's all that should matter. It doesn't make them a better performer out improve their technique and that's what they're at college for. I find it sexist to say girls have to wear make-up on a daily basis. Why should they? Grrrr

• Like 7

Like Cotes Dd mine was also asked if ill by dance teacher when went bare faced to class. She had been told a number of times to wear more by teaching staff.   Since leaving school she finds spending on make up has decreased substantially.