Headshots

Anne ley

The forms we have filled in have required photos of specific dance positions, rather than headshots. We have always booked a private lesson with DD’s ballet teacher to take the photos under supervision to make sure the technique is spot on in each pic.

Edited by SissonneDoublee
Edited for spelling

No, you don’t. The only college dd needed a headshot for was Laine. I took it in our lounge! I was quite pleased with it though - it now features on her student railcard and student Oyster card :) . As others have said, dance shots are trickier, especially if (like me) you’re not an expert on technique. Dd had those taken at her dance school.

We found the easiest (and cheapest) way to take audition photos was during the last week of summer intensives when she was at her fittest, she asked one of her friends to video all the positions performed against a plain background, then her teacher and DC chose the best one of each of the required poses and I printed several copies of the ones they chose. 

• 2 weeks later...

Do consult with your teacher on the poses. A student of mine sent me the photos she'd taken after she'd sent them off with the application and they did not do her justice at all!  It was only for a summer school, not full time training or anything, but still.  I wrote to the SS and asked if we could send in a new batch of photos and we retook them.  

Danceislife, you sound like such a dedicated teacher going the extra inch! And was so impressed you offer a summer school scholarship    for a pupil to attend an outside provider SS - wow! 

Not sure what region you are in, but they are lucky to have you 👍🏻