Wildlife in heatwave

Anon2

A request for those that can to put water out for birds and local wildlife in this endless heatwave please. Over the last few evenings I’ve noticed the hedgehogs going to the water bowls before the food and this morning the water bowls are dry. 

• Like 6

I have several open water containers in my front and back gardens.  They are very popular with the wild life (not to mention one or two cat visitors).  However we have found several dead frogs and toads in the garden and in the fields across the road - presumably the heat is killing them because we're not short of water here with the Jubilee River and the Thames nearby as well as various garden ponds.

There has been a disease killing frogs mainly but toads as well in the last few years. About four years ago we kept finding dead frogs in the garden and rang up some organisation who confirmed they most likely had this disease on our description where the skin becomes discoloured with reddish tinges. It was very upsetting but they seemed to have recovered at the moment and as we had a lot of frogspawn this year and the vast majority seemed to vacate the pond successfully we have a lot of very young froggies in the garden. I really hope this disease hasn't come back again.....though no dead frogs or toads as yet here.

Digressing slightly, the Evening Standard has pointed out that rough sleepers are also suffering greatly during this heatwave, through dehydration, overexposure to the sun with no protection, and general lack of facilities for keeping clean, all of which are exacerbating their often-precarious state of physical and mental health.

I put out a couple of tubs of water (old ice cream tubs, the one litre type). They got knocked over within a day

Repeated the task, wighing down the tubs witha few small stones. They got knocked over

Repeated, with larger stones (but obviously less water). One got knocked over

Generally though, they seem to ignore them and go for the pond, which due to lack of rain, has the water level way below the rim of the moulded pond frame. 

• Like 1

Our ponds are three very large old whisky barrels. Had them for about 12 years now!! I keep them topped up in this weather but it's easy for me to do this.....until the inevitable hose pipe ban comes in...any day now I suspect!! 

The lady next door has a "proper" pond and usually the frogs spawn there and she gives us some of her taddies. 

But this year it was very exciting as we had our own frogspawn for the first time!!

There were loads of them and I did  film them and put on Facebook ( Don't know how to post here) 

One week they were all swimming around with back and front legs etc and the next they were gone!! I was away when the mass exodus happened but I've seen these tiny little frogs in the garden if I disturb them when watering the plants etc.

Our garden is a messy type wildlife garden though so there are lots of places for the frogs and froglets to hide behind old bits of wood and old broken bits of pots and lots of shade too because of the trees. 

Inspite of how it sounds it is actually a small garden about 30 foot square .....it's too untidy for some....😮😦🤔😐but they do usually like the view down to the sea at least 😊😍😀😉

• Like 4

As well as a normal stone bird bath,very often re filled at the moment-I mean several times a day!-Old washing up bowls are great- put a couple of bricks in one and a few stones, making sure creatures can get in and out. (This can't fall over zxDaveM.)

All sorts of creatures great and small drink from mine.

One I have buried and landscaped with old sticks etc, as a small frog pond and it is very popular.

Terracotta plant saucers also work very well- birds love to bathe in them.

• Like 2