Bluebird

Royal Ballet 2018/2019 Winter Season Casting

On 04/08/2018 at 22:04, Scheherezade said:

Just as worrying, if not more so, is the effect that that the behaviour of the BBC in the Cliff Richard matter may have upon the freedom of the press in the future. And sorry to sound dense but what is the Simon May debacle about?

My poor typing.  Meant Simon Mayo on the Radio 2 drivetime slot.  Websites are inundated with letters about the hated new formula but the Beeb love it - so that's alright.

On 04/08/2018 at 22:04, Scheherezade said:

Just as worrying, if not more so, is the effect that that the behaviour of the BBC in the Cliff Richard matter may have upon the freedom of the press in the future. And sorry to sound dense but what is the Simon May debacle about?

Yes, I'm hoping the powers that be will see that punishing the Beeb for poor judgement should not involve curtailing the freedome of the press.

I take the point about Jimmy Saville, Dave, but the cases are so different.  There was a wealth of evidence about Saville but the BBC regarded him as one of theirs and wouldn't have a word said against him.  The laudatory programme after his death was quite nauseating.  However, even if it had been Saville, I still think sending a helicopter up to view the police going about their lawful business was ludicrous.  There was nothing to see (quite what plod expected to find is anybody's guess) and the whole thing was done in collusion with the police.  Criminal proceedings should not be regarded as entertainment which is what this amounted to.  It showed incredibly poor judgement and heads should have rolled.  Certainly a fulsome apology and a statement that our national broadcaster would never behave in this way again, would have restored some credibility.

Talk about incipient Dementia!!

i was in email contact with a friend who am going to the ballet with after Christmas and was going on about a matinee of Two Pigeons with Takada and Hay.

well haven't been into this thread for all of a month or so but when I went to BBB first link no sign of any such performance at all with Takada and Hay. 

I was sure I had seen it somewhere .....but still nothing on the website!

was beginning to think I had imagined it after all but decided to read this whole thread through first ( well it is windy misty and rainy out there) including all the links etc.

I then discovered a third posting by BBB in August  ( the ROH website won't let me get beyond August in that calendar thingy) went into that link and there it was the two performances .....albeit the one I thought was a matinee is an eve .....but relieved I hadn't lost it completely and dreamed the whole pairing up!!

Now have a massive headache on mind as already decided to see Hayward and Bracewell with the RBS performance ......a given for me but now have to choose between Takada/ Hay or Choe/ Campbell as I want to see Asphodel Meadows as well!! 

It will probably be Takada and Hay though as great to see them both in new roles for me and especially for Hay.

Ive seen Choe before and love her .....but Choe and Campbell is hard to resist!! 

I saw Stix-Brunell last time and she was wonderful in the role too!! 

Oh well decisions decisions but so glad BBB put up those links so can be a bit more prepared when booking opens. 

• Like 1

Not really casting, but the following productions have now been included in the "winter" season, with booking open on 21 September for Friends of all levels and 24 September for the general public.

TRIO ConcertDance

New Work New Music

The Monstrous Child

Insight - New Work New Music

Insight - Primeiro Bailarino film screening

Insight - The Monstrous Child

With Friends booking opening quite soon, I'm beginning to panic slightly about which cast(s) to see in the Patineurs triple. (I also worry with many Ashton one-acters about how long it might be before I get to see them again.) Any thoughts? Do I really need to see Sambe, or will the double dose on 20th December, with Hay and Corrales be enough? 

What about the casts for the other two ballets?  Does that clarify things at all?

On 19/09/2018 at 13:29, bangorballetboy said:

Not really casting, but the following productions have now been included in the "winter" season, with booking open on 21 September for Friends of all levels and 24 September for the general public.

TRIO ConcertDance

New Work New Music

The Monstrous Child

Insight - New Work New Music

Insight - Primeiro Bailarino film screening

Insight - The Monstrous Child

And there appear to be far more, and better, seats available in the public booking for these events than for the Friends booking last week. I can understand that (I think), in that they want to use this as introductory?

Also intrigued at the rows in the stalls. For the dance ones it's A-E and H K L M. I wondered if this was an indication of split seating with the stage in the middle. However it's this for the dance film as well, so doubt that! For the opera it's all rows A-K but no L or M. We shall see.

6 minutes ago, MargaretN7 said:

Also intrigued at the rows in the stalls. For the dance ones it's A-E and H K L M. I wondered if this was an indication of split seating with the stage in the middle. However it's this for the dance film as well, so doubt that! For the opera it's all rows A-K but no L or M. We shall see.

I assume that's because the rake will be steeper for ballet.

5 hours ago, MargaretN7 said:

And there appear to be far more, and better, seats available in the public booking for these events than for the Friends booking last week. I can understand that (I think), in that they want to use this as introductory?

After reading your post, I had a look at the stalls pricing for ballet events.  It's very strange.  The central seats in some rows are in a lower price bracket than the seats at the ends of the same rows.  Yet one row has all its seats at the higher price.  You can see this on the screenshot I'm attaching showing availability for one of the performances of Dutch Masters. I can't begin to imagine the reasons behind this pricing structure.

New Linbury stalls ballet pricing.JPG

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

If you click on the cheaper seats it shows 'promo' - Linbury promotion seats, the higher price seats come up 'full price'.

I haven't seen any advertising about promotion tickets for the Linbury - not sure where marketing/communications are in all this but not convinced things are that well coordinated?

15 minutes ago, JohnS said:

If you click on the cheaper seats it shows 'promo' - Linbury promotion seats, the higher price seats come up 'full price'.

I haven't seen any advertising about promotion tickets for the Linbury - not sure where marketing/communications are in all this but not convinced things are that well coordinated?

Thanks, JohnS.  I hadn't thought of clicking on the seats. That makes a bit more sense.  However, if they were intending to sell some seats at a promotional price, you'd have thought there would have been an announcement to let people know about it.  Maybe there has been an announcement and I've missed it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MargaretN7 said:

If that's the case, that's rather annoying - I booked 2 very bad tickets rather than no tickets at all (at a price I can pay), because I thought that was all there was.

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

If that's the case, that's rather annoying - I booked 2 very bad tickets rather than no tickets at all (at a price I can pay), because I thought that was all there was.

It might be worth explaining that to the ROH and seeing if they can offer a swap or refund, given the confusion about prices etc. at the new Linbury.

• Like 1

If 25% of the Linbury seats are £25, then what on earth are the others? :(  I'm assuming they won't be less ...

7 hours ago, alison said:

If 25% of the Linbury seats are £25, then what on earth are the others? :(  I'm assuming they won't be less ...

What they said initially is that 25% of seats are £25 or less. So I'm not sure their message is quite clear. 

Edited by bridiem

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:53, bangorballetboy said:

Les Patineurs

Blue Boy only

18 Dec, 4 Jan Sambé

19, 20(e) Dec Corrales

20(m) Dec, 2 Jan Hay

Winter Dreams

Masha/Vershinin/Irina/Olga

18 Dec, 4 Jan Nuñez/Soares/Hayward/Mendizabal

19 Dec, 20(e) Lamb/Muntagirov/Naghdi/Heap

20(m) Dec, 2 Jan Morera/Hirano/Takada/Calvert

The Concert

Solo lady only

18, 20(e) Dec Cuthbertson

19, 20(m) Dec Hamilton

2, 4 Jan Lamb

This is really weird.  The page https://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/les-patineurs-winter-dreams-the-concert currently has the evening performance on the 20th and the 2nd as TBC.

• Like 1

Well I hope this is sorted before public booking as I intended to book for the Dec 20th evening with its fabulous Winter Dream cast of Lamb, Muntagirov. Naghdi and Heap as I could see the great matinee performance as well for the same visit.

Oh dear I thought Imhad got the casting for Two Pigeons sorted!!

In the casting posted by BBB in August it does say that on Tuesday February 12th evening Hayward and Bracewell will be doing Two Pigeons with the Royal Ballet School performances.

However when you now go to the ROH website it now says Cuthbertson is dancing that night!! 

Are you able to help on this one BBB? It was your post on page 4 of this thread that mentions the Hayward/Bracewell performance.

I cannot now see any performance of Hayward in the Two Pigeons!! 

I did have my dates ready ....the Akane / Hay performance on Feb2nd still seems to be the same at least but am aware booking date is opening next week and am not sure now about this one on the 12th!! 

Edited by LinMM

1 hour ago, Riva said:

The website seems to be all over the place but clicking into particular dates on the calendar gives the clearest casting I think. 

12th feb eve Hayward/Bracewell 

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/k4xp7

2nd feb eve Takada/Hay

https://www.roh.org.uk/events/m99rz

But clicking on the production gives different info, at least about the 12th (haven't checked the 2nd), as LinMM has said. Which one are we supposed to believe???

I've just emailed the Website at the ROH to ask what is happening and why.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 3

If I were a truly cynical person I would say that the nonsensical casting information for the Royal Ballet School/Two Pigeons mixed bill was evidence that the marketing department had set out to establish that it can sell ballet tickets without giving accurate casting details.  As it is I think that it is evidence of the arrogance and indifference of the marketing department to both the hardcore ballet fan and the general public and that the slipshod approach of the person posting the casting details for these mixed programmes is simply its latest manifestation.  By the  way the nonsense is not confined to this programme. If you look at the casting for La Bayadere as it currently appears on the website the names of the dancers have not been listed in the consistent order of Solor. Nikiya and Gamzatti but at least it is a whole lot easier to unravel .

I think that we shall all be very interested to learn what the Royal Opera House administration has to say about the nonsense currently to be found on its website in  response to Bridiem's  e-mail. I can't help wondering just how evasive the response is likely to be given its current corporate policy of dealing with enquiries by answering the question it would have liked to have received rather than the one that was actually asked. As far as casting is concerned I would suggest that the Winter season casting given on the Ballet Association website is likely to be an accurate account of who is dancing in both of the Two Pigeons programmes. It is because of its close links with the company that the Ballet  Association is sometimes disparagingly described as " the Royal Ballet's supporter's club" but at times like this those links are likely to produce the accurate information which the ROH has failed to supply.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 8

The ROH website is an absolute mess, as are the casting updates. I have never seen it - in all the years I am using the ROH website - in such a mess, it is hard to navigate or find accurate, reliable casting information.

It is disrespectful to the dancers they are not listed, and for many RB supporters there is a feeling of "...we don't care, find out by yourself...".

Very disappointed in all the recent changes. I don't mind changes but they should all be consistently implemented.

After all the ROH/RB are not amateurs are they.

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo
  • Like 5

another example of the slip-shoddery going on - from World Ballet Day, ROH posted the rehearsal with Hannah Grennell and Chisato Katsura (named correctly) choreographed by Erico Montes, when in fact it was Valentino Zucchetti's piece (and he was taking the rehearsal). Seems they don't even know their own talent

• Like 5

The other difficult thing is where there is casting for mixed bills it's all listed randomly rather than separated into different ballets, which is confusing: 

·Conductor   Koen Kessels

·Masha   Marianela Nuñez

·Conductor   Barry Wordsworth

·Blue Boy   Marcelino Sambé

·Principal   Sarah Lamb

·Lt. Coronel Vershinin   Thiago Soares

·Les Patineurs   TBC

·Irina   Francesca Hayward

·Olga   Itziar Mendizabal

It's all really amateurish for the moment, it was never like this, and I hope they get their act together very VERY soon.

ROH take note please!  It reflects very badly on the ROH as an institution as well as on the professionalism of all your wonderful and amazing artists.

• Like 4

About an hour and a half ago I looked at the casting for the Patineurs/Winter Dreams/the Concert, and the casting of the matinee and the evening performances on the 20th appeared to have swapped over - very annoying as I booked specifically to see Muntagirov and Lamb in Winter Dreams. An hour later, and there is now no mention of Muntagirov in any cast!

The Two Pigeons casting is a similar mess, with TBCs apparently randomly scattered all over the place.

As others have said, going in via the calendar route still gives you the originally slated casts - so what to believe....?

It only seems to be the multi bills that are thus affected - things like Bayadere, the Nutcracker, Don Q seem to have remained stable - so far, anyway.

I have contacted ROH customer services to see if they can explain any of this, but I’m not expecting a useful answer. If I get one, I will pass it on!

• Like 6