Leotard advice

HowMuch!

Would any of you lovely people be able to recommend leotard brands and sizes for me? I’m expecting this to be a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question but ideally i’d like to buy online rather than traipsing into the city to try loads on. 

My daughter is 8 (almost 9) but small for her age (usually age below in clothes). She’s petite but leotards are often too short in the body so we either end up with a baggy bum and straps, or looking lovely in the body but constantly going up her bum! 😬

She’s starting an associates class in September (there’s no fixed uniform) and i’d like her to have a second leotard as her RAD one is pale blue and prone to grubbiness! The one she’s got now is second hand and without a label so i’m at a loss which brand it is. 

Thanks in advance! 

Xxx

I have found that the determining factor in leotard sizes for both children and adults is the "girth" measurement, which takes into account the body length, which can differ significantly among children or adults of ostensibly similar height/body size. If the girth measurement is correct, the elasticity of the leotard in the other directions is sufficient for a good fit. Most brands list the girth of the leotard with the other sizing information on their websites, and this bit of information makes online shopping less fraught with uncertainty :)

Girth is usually measured by holding a measuring tape on top of one shoulder, passing the tape down the body and between the legs, then up the body to the same shoulder. There are diagrams available online if you search "girth measurement leotards".

Good luck and happy shopping!

Edited by Kylen23
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kylen23 said:

I have found that the determining factor in leotard sizes for both children and adults is the "girth" measurement, which takes into account the body length, which can differ significantly among children or adults of ostensibly similar height/body size. If the girth measurement is correct, the elasticity of the leotard in the other directions is sufficient for a good fit. Most brands list the girth of the leotard with the other sizing information on their websites, and this bit of information makes online shopping less fraught with uncertainty :)

Girth is usually measured by holding a measuring tape on top of one shoulder, passing the tape down the body and between the legs, then up the body to the same shoulder. There are diagrams available online if you search "girth measurement leotards".

Good luck and happy shopping!

Good tip, thank you!

Thank you Ms sunshine ☀️

Howmuch! If you want to look at our website and see anything you like, I can always measure them against the size of an RAD leo. Although if yours has been well loved it may have changed shape after all that washing, but certainly a good starting point :) 

1 hour ago, Sheila Beelam said:

Thank you Ms sunshine ☀️

Howmuch! If you want to look at our website and see anything you like, I can always measure them against the size of an RAD leo. Although if yours has been well loved it may have changed shape after all that washing, but certainly a good starting point :) 

Thank you! I’ll measure her up and have a look with her later and see what she likes.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

A size 2 would be about right for a 9 year old. Bloch leotards usually do by age so 8-10.

Size 2 seems to be the best, not great but good enough. I’m waiting to see if she has a summer growth spurt before shopping!