Pointe shoes

Dizzyballetmum

Obviously it depends on the individual but I have found Grishko (particularly 2007) & Russian pointe (particularly Almaz) to be quite good though I'd say go into a shop with lots of options and try on as many brands as possible! 

Hello DBM, I've added a couple of tags to your post.  There are loads of threads discussing pointe shoes and pointe shoe fitting.  You may find some useful information there.

Tutu15's advice is good - go to a reputable shop with lots of choice and a good fitter!

I posted in another thread a while ago about the basic method of fitting pointe shoes, it's more about the shape of the foot than it is the width / length, a square box can be x to xxxxx but still wrong for a tapered foot.

This may be helpful, find a reputable fitter near you, pointe shoe fit is so critical because of the damage an ill fitted shoe can do, especially in younger dancers where the cartilage has not yet fully hardened.

I think most Pointe shoe brands provide for all shapes of feet, but I LOVE Bloch. I have very narrow ankles heels, widening out to narrow-medium at the ball and toes, and have worn Bloch Aspiration and European Balance, both of which have fitted me wonderfully at different stages of my journey! (in the narrowest width - X) 

Just a note to remember to wear the support you will wear at the fitting (my dance teacher requires us to wear a certain padding), as otherwise the shoe may not fit perfectly x

Happy dancing (to your dc... and to you!) :) 

Edited by ArucariaBallerina

Dd has very narrow and shallow feet, she's had the following which have looked and fitted well:

Grishko 2007s can't remember width.

Bloch Heritage X width

Bloch European Balance X width

Bloch Sonata ?D width

Did have some Gamba which looked divine bur didn't last long.

Soft blocks are a nightmare - Grishko are the only ones that fit.

HTH

But nothing beats a proper fitting at a shop with lots of different brands.

• Like 2

Hi Dizzyballetmum

Dd has quite a narrow foot and she finds Grishko 2007 Pro’s in an X  - she loves them - she has got a tapered foot as well though....

I just wish someone would invent a pointe shoe that lasted longer - I seem to be spending all my free time sewing these days - I’m sat watching DS’s karate session while darning yet another pair tonight ....!  😩 

Xxxx

• Like 1

Most brands have their main shoe styles in different widths - generally widths 1-5, A-E or X-XXXXX etc, which cater for different widths of feet. Then there are different styles within each brand that are differing shapes, tapered or square, high crown or low, etc, so therefore catering for different foot shapes.

It's hard to therefore categorise a certain brand as suiting a narrow or wide foot, or a certain shape. Sometimes this judgement is just based on what style a shop can offer you from that particular brand. My advice would be to try on as many as you can! Be wary also of fitting shoes in very hot weather. Feet swell, particularly towards the end of the day after traipsing around shoe shopping for hours! 

If anyone needs any specific advice, feel free to message me, or book a fitting online x

• Like 1

Ooh, great advice.... never really thought about the hot weather/busy walking about feet swelling issue but that makes so much sense....

Just had an advert email from our local dance supply place advertising pointe shoe fitting on their air conditioned space so good to see they are on it! (You are too far for us though good to see how many recommend your store!)

Edited by Peanut68
Typo

1 hour ago, AuntieNora said:

My daughter is narrow, wearing Grishko Maya 1 fitted by http://www.straighttothepointe.net/ good fitter comes to home or dance school. Offers darning service if need.

I can't comment on Leanne  as a fitter  as she has not  fitted  me, but I have chatted at length to her about ballet and  other stuff . She's a lovely  person and does know her stuff 

9 hours ago, AuntieNora said:

My daughter is narrow, wearing Grishko Maya 1 fitted by http://www.straighttothepointe.net/ good fitter comes to home or dance school. Offers darning service if need.

Leanne fitted my daughter via email due to our geographical location. Pics and in depth discussion on ability and time spent each week en Pointe. Best fitting Pointe shoes todate. Fantastic service 

• Like 1