Grace on Ice

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a late lunch, I turned BBC2's Olympic coverage on 10 minutes ago to find Torvill and Dean doing their 1982 "Mack and Mabel" routine.  Glorious, within the constraints of the rules at that time - I'd forgotten quite how together they always were.  It seemed to be part of a "history of ice skating" segment, so I don't know how long it had been going on for, but if you want to check it on iPlayer it was at about 14:55.

• Like 6

Just catching up on the pairs free programmes...it is making me muse about the difference between ballet and skating partnerships, (obviously there are great differences in the technique, forms and styles! ) especially in the light of recent discussions on the forum.

Some skating partnerships are amazingly long- 13 years ...even 20 years...the pairs come to move as one....(of course that is more important in skating) and they work on a few short pieces with great intensity.

One recent poster expressed admiration for the way ballet dancers manage so many different roles, and they also work with many partners and as part of  a more complex whole; - it is so much more challenging in that sense. True, there are some long ballet partnerships but they are much more intermittent and am I imagining it, or has it become less common for partnerships to last?

I was wondering to myself what might be the effect if a ballet pair were able/allowed to just work together very intensely for many years: of course, presupposing they went well together..and how long does it take to decide it isn't working? With so few performances, it might take all too long.  But then again, so many factors tend to split up partners we all admire.

Just musing.......

• Like 3

On 2/12/2018 at 11:57, alison said:

And Amelia, having only just read this thread, I was quite surprised to see that you hadn't started it with Medvedeva, having seen her on TV last night.  I'd have thought her rather more graceful than her compatriot.

This topic was started on the 24 January. I agree, Alison, that on 11 February Medvedeva's skating was excellent, almost perfect. She is graceful and exceptionally flexible. But I felt just a little bit tired of her almost constantly curved and broken lines. Also the ‘tragic’ expression on her face looked unnatural for me.

What I liked about Alina Zagitova was her fearlessness. And she is only 15, a child still. Surely, more artistry will come.

There are 2 recordings here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDrFgsX9d6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItUMgFf2GpU

Edited by Amelia
the second link added

In the recent European championships I have a feeling Medvedeva was not at her best having recently returned from injury.

I think both are good but Medvedeva more graceful of the two and maybe not (then) back to full form

Sometimes I think these routines are so over rehearsed that they may not look fresh on occasions and perhaps have a tired feel about them but on this occasion hope Medvedeva ( not sure if correct spelling!) gets it!!

O

hope this link is what I think it is....nice to know the two are friends ....but a tough life eh?....A bit of an insight into their training and how have to keep up to date with everything ....both admirable girls!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mary said:

Medvedeva is an old lady of -oh at least 18, Alison!

Here is a new champion in pair skating -- at the age of 34!

After appearing in no fewer than five different Winter Olympics, German pair skater a Ukrainian Aljona Savchenko at last took home a gold.
http://time.com/5160547/savchenk-massot-relationship-explained-winter-olympics/
The lifts and ‘jacking’ here are breath-taking. To see the video while it works roll down this website:
https://viva.ua/news/1303-evgeniy-plyushtenko-o-pobede-ukrainki-aleny-savchenko-na-olimpiade-2018-eto-shedevr-na-ldu

• Like 1

It was a superb performance.  Her partner is, oddly, built more like a rugby player than the average ice skater, but hey, it works.

Yes, it's been a good week for the "oldies", really.  This, Svindal winning the skiing (whichever it was), and now Roger Federer at 36 has become world no. 1 again ...

• Like 1

Lisa, like you I wanted to be a skater as well as a dancer but our nearest rink was at Watford and my father didn’t drive at that time. He adored all forms of sport and would have loved it if either of us had been at a good level in any sport. 

Lin thanks very much for the video link above. It was very interesting to see the off- rink training regime too. However, very sad to hear of zagitovas injuries (broken arm then leg) and not having her mother with her. These children are so brave!

• Like 1

Hope I'm not going wildly off topic here, but have just got back from watching the I, Tonya film about Tonya Harding. I thought it was absolutely excellent as a film and really interesting to learn more about her. I can remember the incident with Nancy Kerrigan of course but had no idea about the background to Harding's skating career. Assuming that not too much dramatic licence was taken (and an interview with her in today's Telegraph seems to indicate it's relatively accurate) she was not only going through the rigours of Olympic training, she was continually fighting domestic violence (mother and husband) and being from the wrong side of the tracks, and not the feminine princess the skating authorities wanted representing the US. I ended up both really rooting for her and feeling very sorry for her - perhaps naively! It was also interesting to read elsewhere that it was difficult to find someone to do the skating in the film because Harding's technical standard is still so high all these years later.  Looking forward to the John Curry documentary now.

• Like 6

Yes, it was the triple axel, Alison. Apparently she was the first woman not only to execute it but to even try it - the other women were too scared to try. I don't really follow skating so don't know whether that is still the case but it clearly generated huge excitement when she achieved it at the time.

• Like 1

I do to a certain extent. She did know what her husband and his associate were planning to do to Nancy Kerrigan and kept quiet about it hence her sentence and ISU’s reaction. I do think there was a good deal of snobbery around the case and it turned into a morality play. 

13 hours ago, Fiz said:

She did know what her husband and his associate were planning to do to Nancy Kerrigan and kept quiet about it

The film - at least as I read it - gives Tonya Harding the benefit of the doubt on this point, while making clear that the story is a confused and confusing one. The evidence is muddled, including by the incentives provided by the US system for her (ex) husband to testify against her.

I am no expert on the case but there are two important facts to bear in mind when writing about it:

i) She was not convicted on this charge

ii) On the other hand, see for example this news report:

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/01/sports/figure-skating-us-title-is-taken-back-from-harding.html

Edited by Geoff

I have read that she did know what was going to happen. The trouble is that anyone can say anything on the internet whether it’s true or not. I have seen some appalling pieces of libel which, if you try to track them down, lead back to the original webpage. It’s horrible.

52 minutes ago, Fiz said:

I have read that she did know what was going to happen. The trouble is that anyone can say anything on the internet whether it’s true or not. I have seen some appalling pieces of libel which, if you try to track them down, lead back to the original webpage. It’s horrible.

Not sure but we seem to be going round in circles somewhat. One doesn't need to read things on libellous websites, one only has to read what the investigation panel of the US Figure Skating Association said: this panel said she knew beforehand. I gave a reference in my earlier posting, above

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/07/01/sports/figure-skating-us-title-is-taken-back-from-harding.html

But I also said this should be balanced by the fact that she was not convicted of this charge, indeed it seems Tonya Harding has always denied it.  You decide!

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Wow just seen the short programme of the Canadian ice dancers absolutely fab!!

The problem us there is now an Olympic thread so don't really know where to write this! If should be on other thread Mods can move if want!

Probably if it relates to the 2018 Olympics put it in that thread.  I'll move them. 

• Like 1

Watching the Olympic ice dancing now and comparing it with surviving old recordings I couldn’t help but noticed that this sport became much more athletic.  For the first time Ice Dancing was included in the Olympic programme only in 1976. Ludmila Pakhomova and Aleksandr Gorshkov became then the very first Olympic Ice Dance Champions:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POZKOQai7l0

Clearer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-NLKYgerRQ

In my view and to my liking, the earlier programmes were more “dancy”, with more courteous manners and beautiful arms. There were no aggressive movements and rough lifts.

Tango was a tango:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YALmp4pIawI

and Waltz was a waltz (starts after Khachaturian at 0:51)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWxUhuBEF2

Edited by Amelia
for layout
  • Like 6