Grace on Ice

Olympics coverage is pretty good.  Naturally, if a Brit is doing well in a particular sport we get more coverage of that sport....so it will be interesting to see how much figure skating we get as there aren't any Brits in the top five at the moment.  Even if the coverage were great, we shouldn't have to wait four years for it.  :(

• Like 3

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know for certain, but figure skating might work out cheaper than bowls, given that they wouldn't have to send a crew.

Outside the Olympics themselves, most Olympic sports coverage goes for peanuts.

Edited to add: I'm not knocking bowls - it's not my cup of tea, but IMO it's not fair to argue for more coverage of a minority sport at the expense of another minority sport!

Edited by Lizbie1

F1 has become processional. Occaisionally you see 'classic' ( pre carbon fibre) f1 cars being raced atvarious motorsport events no electronics  beyond the ignition system and marginal traction... completely different spectacle.  If F1 allowed it the cars would be drones andcthe drivers would be sat in their cockpit in an ISO box  in leafy english suburbia or at the Farrari factory...

That clip makes me weep buckets ......thinking of the recent thread on dancers whose performances make you cry-well, this does! for the sheer beauty. A few giggles at the commentary as well, rising to a crescendo of enthusiasm at the end with 'The most beautiful skating I have ever seen!!..' True..it still is...

They should have been all 6s though..........

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

I don't think we've had John Curry's gala Scheherazade on this thread yet?

I don't remember having seen this before! Wonderful. Thank you so much for posting it. (Why aren't the audience all leaping up out of their seats?! Such polite applause!).

• Like 2

I've just been watching the BBC introduction to the winter games ,  with,- hurray- a feature on the British figure skating pair Coomes and Buckland. I was very impressed by the amazing bravery of Penny Coomes- what a terrible injury she had, her knee shattered, and some film of her struggle to recover really made me wince in pained sympathy.

I shall hope to see them on the ice next week and wish them all the best, they deserve it....It all seems to be in the middle of the nnight but perhaps we will get some in the summary programmes and on i player, hope so..

• Like 2

On 26/01/2018 at 11:28, Fonty said:

Tennis, on the other hand, used to get far more, and has been cut right back.  I think the only reason we get anything at all other than Wimbledon is because we have 4 British players, two of whom are showing they have the ability to be top players.  And the other two are called Murray. 

I think you're being a bit unfair there, Fonty.  We get anything up to 4 Davis Cup ties a year, wall-to-wall Wimbledon if you include Red Button channels, Queen's, (have I missed something in-between?) Eastbourne and (half of) the World Tour Finals on the BBC, the French Open on ITV (although I notice they seem to have stopped doing the veterans' event at the Albert Hall).  None of those are at all new.  Admittedly the Australian Open has been cut back from any live coverage to an hour or so of highlights per day (second week), but there's never been any US Open coverage that I can remember (I remember listening to Greg Rusedski playing the final on the radio).  What more did we use to get?  Some more coverage of the women's game would certainly be useful, though - although did the BBC Red Button the Fed Cup a few years ago?

On 26/01/2018 at 11:28, Fonty said:

I used to love ice skating, but if they don't show it regularly you get out of touch with who the current people are.  However, instead of showing those who are experts in their chosen field, tv companies in their wisdom have decided that we would prefer to see "celebrities" doing some wobbly routines on a Saturday night as they learn to skate. 

Quite, on both accounts.  I hate suddenly being plunged into the Olympics and realising I don't know most of the skaters.  Coomes and Buckland, the American siblings, the Canadian ice dancers, yes, but a lot of them are new to me.  And I've never been a fan of the "wobbly celebrities" programmes, especially for subjects where so much initial skill is required as it is for the sports-related ones.

On 26/01/2018 at 11:43, Lizbie1 said:

I think the more obvious explanation is that sport on television is almost entirely controlled by men.

I thought Barbara Slater (former gymnast and one-time teenage actress) was head of BBC Sport?  I may be out of date, of course.

BTW, anyone want to start a separate Winter Olympics thread in Not Dance?

And Amelia, having only just read this thread, I was quite surprised to see that you hadn't started it with Medvedeva, having seen her on TV last night.  I'd have thought her rather more graceful than her compatriot.

• Like 2