Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ian Macmillan

The Royal Ballet: New Swan Lake Production, Summer 2018

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, alison said:

 

All those chances to see Ricardo Cervera perform again :( 

Ooh goodie for me!

 

Since I relocated to Tokyo earlier this year (for work) I’ve missed out on everything. I did see BRB’s Sleeeping Beauty with Alina Cojocaru and that made me miss everything more. My only hopes are of catching the RB soonish is to orchestrate a trip home for the Symphony in C mixed bill next year .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fabulous sounding production!!! I wish it was being done over here!! I'm usually very sceptical about ballet galas as they seem to be hastily thrown together collections of this and that but this sounds a great balance of items and amazing casting. Joseph Sissens twice including La Sylphide with Takada and also the finale solo tap dance. As only 10 dancers are in the programme it makes me wonder if he's going to skip first artist and go straight to soloist. If only it was being filmed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Joseph Sissens twice including La Sylphide with Takada and also the finale solo tap dance. As only 10 dancers are in the programme it makes me wonder if he's going to skip first artist and go straight to soloist. If only it was being filmed.

 

But let's not forget that this is not an RB initiative per se.  It is mounted by Laura Morera and her husband (Justin Meissner).

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a wonderful programme (the royalelegancegala). Lovely to see the Tango from Facade on the bill. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And how lovely to see Laura Morera is to be back on stage - she's been much missed these last few months.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of us who have been puzzled by the lack of review of the one and only Odette/Odile debut this Season, the July issue of Dancing Times published Jonathan Gray's review of the Naghdi/Kish cast (besides other casts). 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had thought that was it for this run of SL, but I found there are still one or two UK  cinema recordings of the live streaming and we were able to enjoy one today by travelling to Brighton. About 2 dozen only attending - is this not a popular area for ballet?

Anyway it was lovely to see this beautiful production once more, for what surely must be the last time for me until the DVD release. I could catch some of the nuances only available from the different angles and close-ups that the filming provides. And a particular joy for me was being able to appreciate again the brilliance of my two favourite RB ladies, Takada and Hayward, dancing together with such elegance, liquidity and synchronisation.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Anyway it was lovely to see this beautiful production once more, for what surely must be the last time for me until the DVD release. I could catch some of the nuances only available from the different angles and close-ups that the filming provides.

Has The Royal Opera House announced that there is going to be a DVD of Swan Lake then? If so, that would be splendid, as it's a wonderful production.

Edited by CHazell2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/06/2018 at 22:06, Xandra Newman said:

Just spotted via social media: for those of us desperately missing ballet over the summer, there's always Japan as a destination :) 

 

http://royalelegancenight.com/english/programme.html

Errr....I think they need to correct the date in La Sylphide......😛

 

Sounds like a lovely programme.   If only my lottery win would happen!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CHazell2 said:

Has The Royal Opera House announced that there is going to be a DVD of Swan Lake then? If so, that would be splendid, as it's a wonderful production.

 

From http://www.roh.org.uk/news/catch-the-royal-ballets-swan-lake-live-in-cinemas-and-on-bp-big-screens-on-12-june-2018

Joseph Chadbourn (Cinema Account Officer) responded on 20 June 2018 at 2:10pm

Dear Vivian,

Thank you for getting in touch. We are glad that you enjoyed the screening of Swan Lake on the 12th June. To purchase a hard copy of the programme, please visit our online store at the following link:
http://www.roh.org.uk/products/swan-lake-programme

We are happy to report that there is a DVD and Blu-ray release of this production of Swan Lake scheduled for May 2019, although this date is subject to change.

Best regards,
ROH Cinema

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With thirty four pages of almost undiluted praise for the new Swan Lake, I'm wondering if anyone here (like me) didn't actually like it?  Away from these pages opinion has been far more mixed than it appears here.   Does anyone have the nerve to put their head above the parapet and give a different opinion? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure 34 pages of "almost undiluted praise" is entirely accurate, MAB.  🙂  If I remember rightly, there has been a fair amount of mild negativity towards many aspects of the new production.  IIRC, quite a few people dislike the ending and the lack of dancing for Siegfried in Act 1.  Some overuse of Benno (and his Nutcracker jacket) has also been discussed.

 

Admittedly, I wasn't moved to tears at all by either performance I saw.  However, I suspect that had I seen either Cuthbertson (as planned) or Naghdi with Bonelli, that would have been very different.  

 

I'm not sure it requires "nerve" to dislike *everything* about a new production - personally I can always find SOMETHING to like.  Have people "elsewhere" not even had anything positive to say about the sets, for example? 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MAB said:

With thirty four pages of almost undiluted praise for the new Swan Lake, I'm wondering if anyone here (like me) didn't actually like it?  Away from these pages opinion has been far more mixed than it appears here.   Does anyone have the nerve to put their head above the parapet and give a different opinion? 

 

Do you, MAB?  :) Do feel free to dilute the praise somewhat!  I can't say I've looked very far online, but if you fancy posting links to some of the mixed opinion elsewhere ...

 

For my part, and based on the few performances I've seen, I think it's a reasonable enough production of a classic.  I don't particularly like the 19thC setting, or the fact that so much of it has been re-choreographed away from the original(ish) text, and I'm not convinced by the ending.  I was very aware of the length, and that I was finding standing tedious on several occasions (if I'm carried away by something I usually don't mind standing for an hour at a time), considered leaving partway through several times, and actually did bail out of the final act once.  But then I really liked one performance ...  I suspect that in its current state ultimately it may not move me as much as, say, ENB's or BRB's do (I'll reconsider that next year when I've seen ENB's), but then that may depend partly on the dancers.   Also, I came to the conclusion during the run that perhaps it wasn't just the previous production I didn't like, perhaps I don't like RB Swan Lakes!  And then I recalled reading the criticisms, from the 1990s onwards, that the RB didn't really have a top-class Odette/Odile anymore (not a lot of companies do, I suspect), and wondered whether that had had anything to do with it (please keep the shouts of "But they do now!" to a minimum, so we don't derail the discussion too badly, thanks :) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MAB said:

With thirty four pages of almost undiluted praise for the new Swan Lake, I'm wondering if anyone here (like me) didn't actually like it?  Away from these pages opinion has been far more mixed than it appears here.   Does anyone have the nerve to put their head above the parapet and give a different opinion? 

 

Oh *please*. Just stop. 


For what it's worth - and I haven't seen it - the view I got from here was that it was a  good effort with some very good bits and some problems that will hopefully be sorted out when it is revised for future productions. A sense of relief that it wasn't awful. A lot of joy at some brilliant performances. Not sure how I got that from 34 pages of undiluted praise. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Colman said:

 

Oh *please*. Just stop. 


For what it's worth - and I haven't seen it - the view I got from here was that it was a  good effort with some very good bits and some problems that will hopefully be sorted out when it is revised for future productions. A sense of relief that it wasn't awful. A lot of joy at some brilliant performances. Not sure how I got that from 34 pages of undiluted praise. 

 

And you haven't actually seen it, well. well. 

 

I actually said "almost undiluted praise"  I would have said entirely undiluted had I not been aware of the odd reservation..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sorry that my thread was so offensive that it was erased.  I think that says it all and therefore I won't be commenting further.

 

Bye bye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MAB said:

Very sorry that my thread was so offensive that it was erased.  I think that says it all and therefore I won't be commenting further.

 

Bye bye

 

The thread wasn't offensive, but there was no need for a new thread (you have been on this board long enough to be aware that we don't like doubling-up threads on the same subject).  As you will have seen, your post was moved to this thread, which is the appropriate place for it (unfortunately I made a mistake in merging the threads and the "new" thread was inadvertently deleted when the plan was to copy the posts to this thread but leave the other thread in place but locked, sorry about that but I am at work).

 

If you feel the need to leave, that's your prerogative, but it seems a bit of an over-reaction in my opinion.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MAB said:

 

And you haven't actually seen it, well. well. 

 

 

My point is precisely that my view is based mainly on the reactions here, for which "almost undiluted praise" seems like a wilfully false description. (Also, I live in Dublin, which makes ROH trips a touch expensive and I had to choose between our end of year show rehearsals or the cinema broadcast. I'll catch it when the DVD arrives and/or when it's next revived, hopefully.)

 

You seem upset that people don't dislike it as much as you feel they should, and seem have concluded that the only possible reason is that they're too scared of the Forum Police to say what they really think. I have run out of patience with the "brave truth teller with unpopular opinions" stance.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please,, can we all agree to disagree. I really don't like the way that discussions and politics in general have become polarised in recent years. Life is rarely that black and white - there is always shades of grey.

 

We all have our favourite productions of various ballets - however that doesn't mean to say that those productions should be forever set in aspic. Every new production always brings something new to the mix - for example it may bring out things that we have never considered before.

 

I have always kept an open mind - and there is much to admire in the new Swan Lake - considering how Mr Scarlett was under a cloud from some quarters for Frankenstein. There will always be teething problems but they are the ones which are the easiest to sort out.  

Edited by CHazell2
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PIT's brilliant  musical score to Swan Lake is what holds it all together, but there are so many lovely themes involved  that I am struggling to remember which particular  music goes with which dance, despite having seen this production multiple times !  Does anyone know if there is a source anywhere that marries each dance with an appropriate  Opus number/variation  name (or whatever  the nomenclature should be) ? 

 

In that way it will be possible to recall the appropriate dance when listening to a full score which shows the numbers/variation names. 

 

I am also asking the ROH the same question, so if I hear from them first I will report back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

PIT's brilliant  musical score to Swan Lake is what holds it all together, but there are so many lovely themes involved  that I am struggling to remember which particular  music goes with which dance, despite having seen this production multiple times !  Does anyone know if there is a source anywhere that marries each dance with an appropriate  Opus number/variation  name (or whatever  the nomenclature should be) ? 

 

In that way it will be possible to recall the appropriate dance when listening to a full score which shows the numbers/variation names. 

 

 

I'd recommend this book if you can find a copy of it somewhere

 

 

tchai.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

PIT's brilliant  musical score to Swan Lake is what holds it all together, but there are so many lovely themes involved  that I am struggling to remember which particular  music goes with which dance, despite having seen this production multiple times !  Does anyone know if there is a source anywhere that marries each dance with an appropriate  Opus number/variation  name (or whatever  the nomenclature should be) ? 

 

In that way it will be possible to recall the appropriate dance when listening to a full score which shows the numbers/variation names. 

 

The list of tracks on the LSO/ André Previn CDs of the music might help.  Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tchaikovsky-Swan-Lake-Peter-Ilyich/dp/B002Q85A1I/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1530801281&sr=1-1&keywords=swan+lake

You'll need to scroll down to find the list.

 

 

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/06/2018 at 08:50, Jam Dancer said:

Ooh goodie for me!

 

Since I relocated to Tokyo earlier this year (for work) I’ve missed out on everything. I did see BRB’s Sleeeping Beauty with Alina Cojocaru and that made me miss everything more. My only hopes are of catching the RB soonish is to orchestrate a trip home for the Symphony in C mixed bill next year .

 

We do have the ROH cinema relay here in Japan, and it usually runs for a week! Although it arrives late (Swan Lake will be in cinemas from August 24th) better than nothing.

http://tohotowa.co.jp/roh/ (in Japanese)

 

And we also have some broadcasts of ballet such as Woolf Works, Akram Khan's Giselle occasionally.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you mean you won't be commenting further just on this thread and don't mean you are leaving the Forum.

Honestly I just can't read from page one again now it is on page 34 .....but did you comment earlier on in the thread that you were not that happy with this production? 

I myself do find it difficult to comment negatively if the overwhelming feeling on a thread is positive or the other way around so in those instances tend to just not comment at all!! But that doesn't happen very often. I would have to feel VERY strongly about something to comment in this scenario and so have the confidence to do it!! 

But with your general knowledge of ballet and opera productions I'm sure you know what you are talking about! 

 

Also I am always much happier to comment on the dancing rather than the production side as I'm not very arty and don't have much idea of general theatre and production histories of ballet or opera so feel I am am on shaky ground to be too critical!! 

 

Im also a bit of a weirdo anyway as I love learning choreography and don't even mind performing for an audience but I'm not fond of the costumes and make up part!! Most people who do ballet Absolutely love that part....the dressing up part.....so are probably much more generally interested in costumes and staging etc etc than I am. 

Anyway if I've missed an earlier post MAB do you know what page number it was on?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read the posts several pages back from the member from the USA who was over here to see the production, the thread on the Ballet Alert forums is interesting for a more mixed set of responses. 

Hope MAB isn't leaving us.  I think the hot weather in the UK has got a few people hot under the collar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks BBB, and BB, 

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I think the hot weather in the UK has got a few people hot under the collar.

 

Well we have just had a thunderstorm here - I blame Von Rothbart.....

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Having read the posts several pages back from the member from the USA who was over here to see the production, the thread on the Ballet Alert forums is interesting for a more mixed set of responses. 

Hope MAB isn't leaving us.  I think the hot weather in the UK has got a few people hot under the collar.

Yes, I noticed that too. Why is that, do you think? What is the difference between here and Ballet Alert - in regards to the opinion held about Swan Lake

Edited by CHazell2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...