The Royal Ballet: New Swan Lake Production, Summer 2018

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Madrid to see the RB Swan Lake tour.  So far we have had seen 2 performances and so far it is an unqualified success with Spanish audiences. 

The first night was the all star first cast with Marianela and Vadim on top, top form. A first class performance from the entire cast resulted in a standing ovation at the end - everyone standing - stalls / all levels of the theatre. A great triumph for Liam Scarlett who also appeared to take a bow at the end. 

Last night was Yasmin and Matthew Ball as a result of a Osipova injury.  Great to see these 2 paired together again and their Act 4 in particular, showed why their Romeo and Juliet was so acclaimed. Deep heartbreak was depicted so emotionally with a few extra touches of grief and anguish added from the norm. Absolutely marvellous.  Goose bump time.  Act 3 not quite so powerful as other pairings though I must mention the beautiful, controlled hold by Yasmin.

Other highlights include James Hay as Benno last night, plus we are seeing more of Gary Avis's Von Rothbart, which is always a delight. Everyone who shone in London, continues to shine here - a great advert for the RB.    

• Like 19

I was just going to write something but Jenny beat me to it.

The first night was a knock-out performance all round with the 2 main leads sensational. The standing ovation was really prolonged. It is lovely being part of a visiting audience when that happens!

Laurels last night went to Naghdi’s hugely contrasting O/O, roles which she really seems to be making her own. Both she and Nuñez balanced for ever in the Act 3 pdd. The heartfelt Act 4 pdd was made for Naghdi/Ball. And James Hay - superb as Benno - (give him Siegfried NOW).

Edited by capybara
  • Like 10

Thanks, MRR.  I must admit, I wouldn't necessarily be convinced that a balance held for so long that it evinced whoops and cheers mid-performance was an ideal approach, but there is certainly plenty of music there to do it to.

10 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Sorry, but if the balance is like that I don't like it.  IH looks like a spare part.

But neither Nuñez nor Naghdi performed it in a ‘tricksy’ way. Both were true to the choreography , the character, their individuality, and the music.

There were a few intakes of breath from the audience in Madrid. But, in common with the two Odiles concerned, nothing which broke the flow.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Sorry, but if the balance is like that I don't like it.  IH looks like a spare part.

As much as I love Tamara Rojo in many ways, in the matter of holding balances excessively and thereby breaking the flow of the music, she "has form".

Not something I have ever observed from either Nunez or Naghdi (either as Odile or, as is probably obvious in my meaning from my comment above, as Aurora), both of whom I always find extremely musical.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I think he runs off the stage to the left (as we look at the stage) - looked really carefully last night. Body double is on the stairs as far as I can see.  I will look again tonight. 

I think this is correct. I was up high last night and managed to clock it for the first time.

Nunez and Naghdi, whose impressive Odile balance I saw during the London run, never did it in a showy way as others have said too, it was never a case of "look at me how long I can hold my balance", unlike Tamara Rojo here in the clip above. Rojo completely breaks all the magic.

Nunez and Naghdi "play" with the music and give their long balance a meaning, as if to say "I am Odile and I am the powerfull one here", it somehow blends into their characterisation.  

• Like 5

I have terrible withdrawl symptoms and decided to console myself by listening to a 1969 Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra recording conducted by Rozhdestvensky. Now I both miss the RB and feel woe at having no Russians this summer. That wasn't quite the plan, but what a fabulous recording that is.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Nunez and Naghdi "play" with the music and give their long balance a meaning, as if to say "I am Odile and I am the powerfull one here", it somehow blends into their characterisation.  

That was exactly how it came across from Naghdi last night. The look she then gave her Siegfried served to reinforce that. Fantastic!

• Like 3

Back to Von Rothbart - so, he definitely goes off the stage to the left as we look at it, and tonight, I think the Von Rothbart double was also in that same mix of people at the back of the stage and then climbed up the stairs with the crown before being lit when he was half way up.  He definitely did not come down from above.  So, no need for 2 crowns.  .  

• Like 1

The 3rd performance in Madrid tonight with Sarah and Ryo, received another standing ovation at the end. I'm so enjoying this, my first ever RB tour. It's a journey, because it feels so different from seeing the company in the ROH. It's like an away match and I'm really anxious for them to do well every night and impress the Madrid patrons.  They are playing to full houses each night and it seems the Spaniards are loving it, which is marvellous.  The casts are following the same pattern as in London, although obviously there are always tweaks. 

It's a very challenging schedule with 2 performances tomorrow and the final one on Sunday. The dancers will deserve medals at the end!       

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

How do the dimensions of the stage compare? For example, is it as deep as the ROH one? I'm wondering whether the Act 3 set is as impressive away from home! 

Apparently it is slightly deeper than ROH which really surprised us, because we too asked that question, as it doesn't appear to be so.  Much less room backstage we were told, though. Act 3 set is still as impressive, thank goodness, but we did have a very flickering moon in Act 2 tonight, which could have been off putting.  I hope they fix it for tomorrow.   

• Like 2

William Bracewell / Akane Takada this afternoon - and what a triumph! I can't compare it to Marianela/ Vadim - let's just say it was different but left me with the same wow factor and actually because it was such a revelation, is possibly the high point of my tour so far - and that's saying something as there have been some great moments.

Right from the start, Will held the stage: his characterisation was a notch up on any Siegfried so far. He gave Von Rothbart a reluctant salute and my attention was caught immediately and I found myself drawn to see what he would do next. There was tremendous emotional depth throughout Acts 1 and 2:  little extra expressions and feelings conveyed. When Akane appeared, their pdd were beautiful and the Madrid audience showed their appreciation.  

At the first interval my fellow tour companions were all in the same raptures, so huge anticipation for Act 3 - could they pull it off technically as well as emotionally - and yes, they could!   We've seen a couple of wobbles from other couples but not these 2.  It brought the house down. 

I came away feeling very excited and thrilled with what I had witnessed - as did everyone else around me.

On another note, I spotted Olivia Cowley performing 3 separate roles tonight - I think she must be going for the record of how many different roles you can perform in the shortest possible time.  Closely followed by many of the other dancers too -  Mayara Magri,  Clare Calvert- they will be needing a good holiday after this!   

• Like 15

11 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

William Bracewell / Akane Takada this afternoon - and what a triumph!   

I was fortunate to see their first and last performances at the ROH and can just imagine how wonderful they were yesterday. Great to hear that the RB's supporters experienced their superb artistry alongside the local audience.

I opted for the 10pm show with Naghdi and Bonelli because I hadn't seen them dance together in London. She was absolutely wonderful and he was on top form, not least as a partner. Along with Muntagirov, Takada and Bracewell they really inhabit their characters. And it makes all the difference. Another standing ovation.

Jenny is right. There has been a lot of doubling up and even some mid-performance substitutions. Also, last night, Benjamin Ella replaced Tristan Dyer as Benno and was a delight.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Are there no official reviews of the RB in Madrid?

There are actually quite a few and, if my weak Spanish isn't misleading me, they are all highly complimentary. My technical skill isn't up to posting links on my phone but, if no one else has by the time I get home, I will see if I can put some up on here.

In the meantime, if you Google El Lago des Cisnes El Mundo, it might bring up something you can use auto-translate on.

The fast clipper carrying the film of Swan Lake has just docked in Sydney. It was becalmed for some time in the doldrums - it appears somebody shot an albatross.😊 Whatever, it's here now, and all I can do is echo responses already on this thread. Wow! I loved almost everything about it. The pathos, anguish and devotion portrayed by Nunez and especially Muntagirov ... when he raised his hand to swear at the end of Act 3, I let out an involuntary 'Noooo'. Don’t think anyone heard.

Overall, I had read with interest the disappointment of the many on this thread for whom the ending, with Siegfried holding the dead body of Odette, was at best a let-down, and at worst a betryal of everything Swan Lake stands for. I didn't see it this way. I agree with those who point to two differing approaches to the story, that which emphasizes myth and that which emphasizes psychological reality. For me, the emphasis lies most appropriately on psychological reality,  so Benno's role assumes great importance (the prince's only support in a dark and forbidding court. His red jacket in Act 3 is almost a beacon of hope.) And Von Rothbart as a member of the court makes perfect sense. And finally, Odette having given her life to break the curse, and Siegfried lying senseless on the ground,  the swan maidens, their agency, if not yet their human form, regained because of Odette's sacrifice, are able to kill Von Rothbart. For me, totally satisfying.

As for performances, I am now a fully paid up member of the Alex Campbell fan club, and love the lightness and grace that Akane Takada brought to the sister's role. Superb costumes. Thank you dancers, thank you support staff (all of them), thank you orchestra and thank you Liam Scarlett and John Macfarlane.

• Like 12