The Royal Ballet: New Swan Lake Production, Summer 2018

On holiday in North Wales we were welcomed in an Arts Centre in Holyhead. £8 per seat in a beautifully restored chapel in a former convent. Full house of a very appreciative audience. I saw Takada and Bonelli live and loved the production but saw so much more at a second viewing. Nunez and Muntagirov on top form, I did see real contrast in O/O I thought Nuñez facial expressions showed well thought out and considered character. Everybody else has commented on production so I won’t repeat only to say at the end of Act 3 my non ballet regular husband sighed and said to me ‘ I call that perfection’ and that made it so for me. What a season it has been.

• Like 12

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, J_New said:

I kind of assumed that he realised that Siegfried was on his way to shoot 'his' swans and that he needed to be there ...

Von Rothbart a la Clark Kent but without the Phone Booth and a rather different motivation?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sim said:

Me too....it's how it's conveyed that seems to be at issue here!

Yes - I agree - I interpreted the flapping of the arms as just remembering the swans rather than changing into a bird - but I'm not sure that Bennet did it in the same way - I've only seen him once but just seem to remember him rushing off in a 'panic'. I'm seeing it again tomorrow so will try to take note of what happens.

I hadn't actually paid particular attention to this moment until this discussion developed! My attention has been on Siegfrid at this point. I will also look more carefully at my final viewing (next Thursday). But it's interesting/important, because surely Rothbart is in full control of/master of the situation (until finally defeated by Odette's sacrifice)? I can't see that he'd be subject to sudden unwanted (since he appears to be grimacing) changes of form over which he has no control. Unless as Alison said he's under some sort of reverse spell - but that would open up a whole new avenue (and one not indicated in the synopsis).

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, J_New said:

Yes - I agree - I interpreted the flapping of the arms as just remembering the swans rather than changing into a bird - but I'm not sure that Bennet did it in the same way - I've only seen him once but just seem to remember him rushing off in a 'panic'. I'm seeing it again tomorrow so will try to take note of what happens.

Von Rothbart's convulsion occurs in direct response to Siegfried overruling him. I read this as a power struggle. Human VR loses authority for this moment and angry spirit VR tries to assert control but must not be seen here. I formed this impression first from seeing Thomas Whitehead at the General Rehearsal, but we are not meant to give any comment on rehearsal performances. I've since thought that perhaps the moment prefigures the final power struggle at close of Act IV?

But yes, for the narrative flow VR does have to get off stage very quickly here!

Edited by Josephine
  • Like 4

Finally seen The Royal Ballet's new production of 'Swan Lake', went to an encore screening at the Trowbridge Odeon and it blew me away, amazing dancing, beautiful costumes and set and fantastic music, I think Scarlett and RB should be very happy with the end result!

Highlights for me include Vadim Muntagirov and Marianela Nuñez in the Black Swan PDD, just firework dancing and just exquisite, really superb dancing, such a superstar pairing, Vadream indeed!!!!! Francesca Hayward, Alexander Campbell and Akane Takada were delightful in their dances as well. 

Sumptuous Act III, the ballroom set was just gorgeous and the tutus of the Princesses were stunning.

Love hearing the old music in Act IV, just worked better dramatically. And so, so glad to see the swan maidens in tutus again, just so much more aesthetically pleasing! 

I like how more narratively  cohesive it was, plus the sets and costumes are so much more cleaner and crisper, love the decluttering, a traditional production but with a modern sensibility.

My only quibble is that I felt Prince Siegfried and Odette should of self sacrificed together, because it fits the music better, triumph over evil etc. and the Neapolitan dance, I felt it could of been quicker but those are minor things because everything else was on point (no pun intended) in this production.  

• Like 10

So, exactly a month after launching this thread, I return with the 800th post to say we're just back from a Catch-up screening of this week's streamed performance.  Greatly impressed and, more to the point, the lady of the house, a veteran of many, many performances of yesteryear, thoroughly enjoyed it - and that is praise, indeed, I may say.  She has a few reservations about the costuming of the national dances, but nothing beyond that.  Very well done all round.

• Like 12

I have just watched Swan Lake for the second time at the encore screening. I enjoyed it even more this time, and am amazed how many little details I noticed this time that escaped my notice on first viewing. While I watched I was thinking about some of the points raised on this forum, and as I greatly enjoy reading the comments of others, thought I would add a few comments of my own.

I live hundreds of miles from London,  so have not had the opportunity to see any other casts, but I thought Muntagirov and Nunez were wonderful! I actually had tears in my eyes at the end. I only noticed the entangling of costumes on the second viewing, which is a real testament to their professionalism.  I also loved Campbell, Hayward and Takada  in the PDT. and Calvert and Magri's big swans. I found Campbell's Benno open and engaging, which served to highlight Siegfried's isolation and sadness. The Corps did not look ragged to me, though I am no expert where technique is concerned.

I felt the final uplift in music was an appropriate accompaniment to the swans surging around VR after Odette's noble self-sacrifice. Yes, it was a tragic ending, but beautiful and moving too. 

I loved the costumes, and the sets, though I think the low lighting in the cinema reduced the impact of the lake scenes.

All in all, a wonderful production, and I am so grateful  for the live cinema relays.  

• Like 12

Oh dear, that's a shame.  Welcome, Tessie.

I'm afraid I gave the encore showings a miss today: I'm getting to the stage where I feel I've had a surfeit of Swan Lakes, and since the feedback about the darkness of the picture for the lakeside scenes hadn't been good I decided not to spend a vast amount of money on seeing it in the cinema.  (That said, I may well still go and see tomorrow's performance!)

I couldn't resist seeing the encore screening and a hugely enjoyable afternoon.  Having seen the live screening and knowing that a couple of slips were not going to end in catastrophe, that edge of the seat 'will everything go to plan'' was replaced with a sense of real satisfaction and contentment in Liam Scarlett's and the Royal Ballet's achievement.  I do hope we hear soon that a DVD will be released.

It was also lovely to see some of the close ups: Alex Campbell's smile when presenting the goblet to Vadim Muntagirov; Elizabeth McGorian's manoeuvring of her dress to allow room for one of the footmen to present the crossbow; and I'd love to know what Melissa Hamilton and Meaghan Grace Hingis were saying during the Act 3 pdd when eyeing Odile.  

Edited by JohnS
Removed repeated phrase
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I'd love to know what Melissa Hamilton and Meaghan Grace Hingis were saying during the Act 3 pdd when eyeing Odile.  

Yes, me too - the princesses’ looks showing various degrees of gloom or consternation during Act 3 was one of those details that make these things extra satisfying!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

the princesses’ looks showing various degrees of gloom or consternation during Act 3 was one of those details that make these things extra satisfying!

The Royal Ballet is so good in encouraging the whole ensemble to depict characters, be it Swan Lake or Manon, which was commented upon in a number of posts recently.  And apologies for misspelling Meaghan's name - Hinkis not Hingis.

• Like 2

On 16/06/2018 at 13:24, Lizbie1 said:

I don't think being an aficionado comes into it,

I think it does.  If you are new to ballet, or not very familiar with it nor with Swan Lake, it really helps if the story is clearly told, and to everyone in the theatre.  

• Like 3

On 17/06/2018 at 10:23, bridiem said:

I hadn't actually paid particular attention to this moment until this discussion developed! My attention has been on Siegfrid at this point. I will also look more carefully at my final viewing (next Thursday). But it's interesting/important, because surely Rothbart is in full control of/master of the situation (until finally defeated by Odette's sacrifice)? I can't see that he'd be subject to sudden unwanted (since he appears to be grimacing) changes of form over which he has no control. Unless as Alison said he's under some sort of reverse spell - but that would open up a whole new avenue (and one not indicated in the synopsis).

I agree that it's interesting and significant. As mentioned previously, I think this moment seems to foreshadow Von Rothbart ultimately being vanquished in Act IV. I presume that unfolding events are controlled by evil spirit VR, restrained by his human façade throughout the court scenes. Scarlett twice shows VR directly shadowing Siegfried to exert control, once in human guise and once in spirit guise. The final battle is won in the supernatural realm, bringing a melancholy redemption to the human world protected by Odette's loving spirit.

As others have said, it is a huge disappointment that the final vision of Odette is obscured in some parts of the ROH auditorium. The ending feels unremittingly bleak if you miss this.

Liam Scarlett's version of Von Rothbart seems focused on the theme of mysterious evil forces at large in the world, a theme which has preoccupied Scarlett in his earlier narrative works I think. A friend who saw the live screening described Von Rothbart as an occult figure, which seems accurate to me. It would be interesting to hear Scarlett speak about this.

• Like 6

Well, as I've been away for the early part of the SL run I came relatively late to it and saw 2 live performances and 2 cinema relays last week. Although I'm not at all an enthusiast for Swan Lake I was very taken with the new production and loved most of the sets and costumes. Might have preferred the lake to be a little less stark in Act 2 but thought the Act 3 set was amazing and was pleased it got a round of applause for the cinema broadcast. Even though I liked the previous swan dresses I thought the new swan tutus were fabulous and a big improvement. Just wished there were a few more higher up shots in the broadcast so the cinema audience could better appreciate them and the dance patterns created. When I was in the audience I deliberately sat in the amphi and had a great view of the tutus and patterns. The only costumes I really disliked were the 3 Neopolitan costumes for the princess and the dancers. I thought they were garish and out of place and reminded me of nothing more than a box of liquorice allsorts! I also thought the czardas costumes were rather drab and the men's boxy style in particular rather ugly and unflattering. However I thought all the other costumes splendid which is obviously a majority. I particularly liked the costumes for Siegfried's sisters in both acts; thought them very stylish with a lovely clinging line; very flattering and loved their choreography too which was perfectly executed, especially by Takada and Hayward. I didn't really struggle to see Vadim in his relatively dark costume either in performance or at the cinema and I attended 2 cinemas; the Odeon, Preston and (as neither of the Preston cinemas were showing the encore performances) the Vue, Southport. However, it might help to have something a shade lighter. See what people mean about Benno's Act 3 costume being rather Nutcrackerish but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of his performance. Especially enjoyed both Campell and Sambe in this role. Am a bit surprised there doesn't seem to be a mention of a dvd as I thought it would be a great money spinner but perhaps they are waiting for the revival in case anything significant is altered. if they do film a revival I do hope they have Vadim as Siegfried as I thought his performance terrific though it would be enhanced even more if he had more to do, especially in the first act. I especially loved the bit at the start of the cinema broadcast when the entire cast applauded his tours en l'air (I think that's what they're called).

Last Monday I saw Naghdi/Kish. Was really blown away by Yasmine's interpretation. I thought it sheer perfection and I would have loved to see another performance by her. Just wish Mr O'Hare hadn't seem fit to split her up from Matthew as would have loved to see the 2 of them together; even better I would love to see her dance it with Vadim. they both have such beautiful lines and elegant port de bras and intelligent acting skills. It would have been real poetry in motion to see them together and I hope Mr O'Hare bears it in mind for future swan lakes or other classical ballets. Their styles would really complement each other and it would be interesting to see Vadim with another partner, wonderful though he and Marianella are together. Incidentally, I thought Marianella really terrific in the cinema broadcasts. Her artistry shone through and I loved the new Act 4 pas de deux.

I thought Osipova/Ball gave a good performance but it didn't move me as much as the others did. I thought Osipova's port de bras really sensational; her arms rippled as if they were boneless giving a beautiful shimmering, gliding effect. Matthew gave an excellent performance and will obviously grow into the role. it's just by comparison with Vadim other Siegfried's seem to slightly pale by comparison; perhaps it is the advantage of all the close ups you get from the cinema. Also I wasn't too sure about the partnership in general. Others seemed to like it but it didn't work really for me. However, as I said I don't really like swan lake anyway so perhaps that has something to do with it.

To change the subject rather, as the RB is seeing fit to record 2 Romeo and Juliets; one this summer for tv broadcast and the cinema broadcast next summer I hope they have the Naghdi/Ball partnership for one. I really regret not being able to see it first time around and I loved the pas de deux they did in the BBC Shakespeare programme. It would be great to see them do the full ballet and a fabulous tribute to the wonderful artists they've both become (Perhaps Hayward/Campbell for the other recording!)

Just realised I haven't said anything about the ending of SL. I thought it ok and I was in amphi H and K and could see Odette's vision very clearly in both seats. Like many others I still think it would fit in better with the music to have Siegfried and Odette to somehow die and be reunited together and hoped this ending wasn't chosen just to be different to the previous production. However, I didn't dislike the ending; just thought it could be better.

Edited by jmhopton
thought of something to add
  • Like 10

Finally managed to see this at the repeat screening. I loved the production although I didn't think it was perfect. Didn't like the ending, I found it unsatisfying and find the death of both Odette and Siegfried and their being united after death far more emotionally telling and in keeping with the passion of the music. Also didn't like Siegfried spending the latter moments of the act out of the action. The air of menace, corruption and potential unhappiness which for me underlays Act 1, which was even more prominent in this production with Rothbart's role suggesting a court full of political intrigue and power struggles, to me, fits in with the tragedy that two young lives have been lost at the end. I did think that Scarlett's ending maybe suggested a Prince who could cope with the fantasy, perfect unattainable swan but not the reality- this is an unhappy young man who doesn't fit in or feel ready for the responsiblity that is about to be forced upon him with his father's death, and isn't ready for marriage.  This would I think have fitted in had Siegfried had a much more prominent and compelling presence throughout Act 1, and his relationship with his sisters (a touch I really liked) could have been explored and shown to be uneasy. That said, loved the role of the Queen- the placing of her in mourning and so evidently in deep distress turned what often seems a snobbish and unsympathetic woman into a mother who loved her son but had no choices in anything. Loved the ramped-up Rothbart role though, and the general sense of strong narrative running through.

Agree with others about it being very dark lighting-wise in acts 2 and 4- at any rate for cinema.

Edited by pianolady
  • Like 4

What a stunning performance from Yasmine Naghdi tonight, and Federico Bonelli too.  This was on another level....They had such chemistry and mutual understanding, and passion.   This was a masterclass of how it should be done.  More tomorrow, but for now, wow.  Just wow.  The standing ovation at the end, and the palpable and vocal excitement of the audience, conveyed what a special night this was.

• Like 12

It was an absolutely mesmerising performance, an unforgettable one I'd say. Yasmine Naghdi and Frederico Bonelli were just WOW!

They looked so comfortable dancing together.

Naghdi's Odette/Odile was certainly one not to be missed and I am so happy I saw several of her performances (I have seen Osipova, Takada and Nunez too) but Naghdi's O/O has moved me most of all. Her Odile tonight was simply out of this world. The chemistry between her and Bonelli (totally absent in Kish) was such a beautiful thing to watch. The audience was so excited, clapping and so very vocal too :) 

Much has already been said about Naghdi's O/O but tonight was, as Sim said, a very special one indeed.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, jmhopton said:

To change the subject rather, as the RB is seeing fit to record 2 Romeo and Juliets; one this summer for tv broadcast and the cinema broadcast next summer I hope they have the Naghdi/Ball partnership for one. I really regret not being able to see it first time around and I loved the pas de deux they did in the BBC Shakespeare programme. It would be great to see them do the full ballet and a fabulous tribute to the wonderful artists they've both become (Perhaps Hayward/Campbell for the other recording!)

I would  be beyond thrilled to see these partnerships dance Romeo and Juliet and I hope they do. The powers that be do strange things though. Also probably zero chance of either being in cinema broadcast. With Nunez, Lamb and Cuthbertson being the seniors and Osipova being a Superstar it will probably be one of those. Probably be Nunez and Vadim. The actually film it twice would any mistakes can be fixed for the DVD. As in Haywards slip last week. 

IF they decide to put Campbell and Hayward together they may do TV as a follow up to the Nutcracker. TV audiences do not like being confused and that show was a success for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Its just struck me, with a soul crushing blow - I won't see Yasmine dance again now until November 😞

I know.....a real bummer.  But I know it will be worth the wait!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shya100 said:

I would  be beyond thrilled to see these partnerships dance Romeo and Juliet and I hope they do. The powers that be do strange things though. Also probably zero chance of either being in cinema broadcast. With Nunez, Lamb and Cuthbertson being the seniors and Osipova being a Superstar it will probably be one of those. Probably be Nunez and Vadim. The actually film it twice would any mistakes can be fixed for the DVD. As in Haywards slip last week. 

IF they decide to put Campbell and Hayward together they may do TV as a follow up to the Nutcracker. TV audiences do not like being confused and that show was a success for them.

https://www.roh.org.uk/showings/romeo-and-juliet-live-2019

Naghdi & Ball are on the "Romeo & Juliet" poster for the live cinema season on 11 June 2019 so I guess this is an indication they will dance the worldwide cinema relay next Season.

We have seen the older principals so often and I think it's time for Management to show the world their younger principals.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

We have seen the older principals so often and I think it's time for Management to show the world their younger principals.

Absolutely, Xandra.....their younger principals are world-class and exceptionally talented and they should start getting more exposure away from these shores!

Speaking of exposure, I just need to rant for a minute.  I am very disappointed that NOT ONE critic has bothered to write about Yasmine's debut in the role of Odette/Odile.  She has danced the role three times for the public, and nothing.  Everyone on social media has been raving about her, but nothing from any critics.  These have been very special performances;  a star has definitely risen, but.....  Nada.  Niente.  Nul.  I could be kind and say that their newspapers probably only allow one review per production (so I guess if they don't get paid, they don't write!), but in these days of online writing I am not sure I buy that.  IIRC there were only one or two reviews of her Giselle debut.  Well, they don't know what they're missing.  I know that for most dancers it's the audiences' views they care about, not the critics', but for me, it's just the point.  Maybe we will get a general summing up of the first run of the new production from someone, wherein they mention some of the dancers....?   I think William Bracewell also deserves some plaudits, as does Matthew Ball (just thinking of the debutants).    Gggrrrrr.

• Like 10

Quite so Sim. But there has been so much ballet on in London in recent weeks with very fine performances wherever you look! Maybe that is to do with it. I was disappointed though not surprised to see so little made of the new RB Swan Lake production in the media generally; once upon a time, the Royal Box would have been full of dignitaries, it would have been mainstream news.. it is all v disappointing... But my feeling is that there is a popular groundswell of enthusiasm for ballet again, and the critics and media and assorted bigwigs will catch up eventually.

• Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:21, Sim said:

I think it does.  If you are new to ballet, or not very familiar with it nor with Swan Lake, it really helps if the story is clearly told, and to everyone in the theatre.  

The first time I saw (the Dowell) Swan Lake, I hadn't the faintest idea what was going on or who anyone was.

• Like 3