The Royal Ballet: New Swan Lake Production, Summer 2018

On 29/05/2018 at 17:09, penelopesimpson said:

I haven't seen Kish as Siegfried so unable to comment.  However, he is not a dancer that I necessarily equate with I expect from RB Principals.  I don't consider myself qualified to comment much on technique but must assume he is well qualified.  Where I haven't warmed to him is because he simply never puts himself across in the lyrical and emotional way that I expect.  I also wonder if he has perceived as having the versatility that RB Principals are expected to have - for the simple reason that he dances infrequently.

Yes, there are bravura dancers like Macrae and Corrales who thrill us and dazzle with their technique and stage presence.  Then there are the beautiful classicists like Muntagirov and then there's Ed Watson who doesn't really fit into any pigeon hole but for me hits the spot every time.  (incidentally, this is the same spot that I had hoped Matthew Ball would find yesterday!).  Emotion, drama and beauty.

I agree that although there is clearly a wealth of burgeoning talent at RB, male Principals are looking a little ragged.  Watson and Macrae each being out for so many months has left a hole as well as putting pressure on the others.  Campbell and Bonelli have been spread thin, possibly also Muntagirov.  Soares has disappeared and Hirano may not yet have all the repertoire.  Presumably KOH was taking all these factors into consideration when he acquired Bracewell and Corrales.

I do so agree re Watson - his prolonged absence has been so frustrating and it does seem as if he is the only man in the company with that combination of intensity and charisma! 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, MRR said:

For starters, one of the greatest men's variations in Act III ever done.  That is Siegfried's big moment in Swan Lake, and Vadim knocked it out of the park.  Technical perfection in every step  highlighted by the brilliant (and difficult) sequence of rebounding double tours, culminating with an impeccable pirouette to the knee.

Dramatically, Vadim's Siegfried has a solitude and innocence which makes him the perfect target for Rothbart and, eventually, Odile.  Act I in Scarlett's version is far more a stately military affair than a birthday party; besides Benno, it is repeatedly made clear that Siegfried has no friends.  The Prince's loneliness was completely captured by Vadim, especially in his soliloquy with those gorgeous, yearning arabesques. 

But what truly sealed the performance was his running out in search of Odette in Act IV.  Shattering and devastating, this was one of those moments when you realize you are watching an uncommon artist.

Oh goodness, thanks for that.  I am watching the ROH website hourly for returns.  He sounds incredible.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MRR said:

Is Soares injured? I was surprised not to see him cast.

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

He was dancing in the Gala - the Winter Dreams pdd.

MRR's thought crossed my mind watching him last night.

He was also in the early MacMillans presented at the Barbican a few weeks back.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MRR said:

Act I in Scarlett's version is far more a stately military affair than a birthday party

Yes, that's something that's confused me: why are all the men saluting Rothbart?  He's not commander-in-chief.  (And I think they bow to him too?).  Anybody would think he was already ruling the country!

7 hours ago, balletyas said:

I do so agree re Watson - his prolonged absence has been so frustrating and it does seem as if he is the only man in the company with that combination of intensity and charisma! 

I have to admit that at various times during some of the performances I've seen I've been wondering what Watson would have made of the role, interpretively speaking - and thinking he could have brought something more intense to it.  I keep recalling an impassioned review (or article?) by Ismene Brown from some years ago in which she argued that it was Siegfried's ballet - and his tragedy? - rather than Odette's (or words to that effect).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

Yes, that's something that's confused me: why are all the men saluting Rothbart?  He's not commander-in-chief.  (And I think they bow to him too?).  Anybody would think he was already ruling the country!

This has been puzzling me too: shortly after his entrance the Prince salutes him  - why? He is not in military uniform; there is a formal deference towards Rothbart which does not make sense, in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

9 minutes ago, BeauxArts said:

This has been puzzling me too: shortly after his entrance the Prince salutes him  - why? He is not in military uniform; there is a formal deference towards Rothbart which does not make sense, in my opinion.

I think it's to demonstrate that von Rothbart has gained more influence and status than would be considered normal; that the Queen has come to rely too heavily on him.

• Like 3

I've had the impression the men have to salute Von Rothbart because of his status but would prefer not to (certainly Siegfried in some performances) and there's all the 'Thank God he's gone, we can get on with the party/dance/have a drink'.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, capybara said:

Tonight's Swan Lake & Me featured Yasmine Naghdi, Nehemiah Kish and Darcey Bussell being interviewed by Christopher Cook.

42 minutes ago, capybara said:

Tonight's Swan Lake & Me featured Yasmine Naghdi, Nehemiah Kish and Darcey Bussell being interviewed by Christopher Cook.

Did they film it? 

Naghdi was fascinating to listen to. She sounds like she really put everything into the role to get it just right. I wished I could tell her how fantastic she was the other night. She obviously had a close relationship with her coach for the role as she was visibly upset (and mentioned it) when she said that she had left after her debut. Lesley Collier is doing further work with the couple. She seems like a fabulous young principal, she has a lot of personality and obvious dedication. I found Kish much more awkward in terms of answering the questions asked. I very much got the impression that he saw his role as a giving partner to support Naghdi which I very much saw in the pdds but while the challenges of female virtuosity element of the act 3 solos was discussed, I would have liked to have covered whether Siegfried’s solos are equally challenging and why, to maybe understand Kish’s performance a bit better. 

What I really enjoyed about Darcey Bussell being there was the way the conversation talked about each generation of dancers passing on their expertise to the next in terms of things from an eyeline to how to absorb the character being played. She of course was coached by Fonteyn (for 2 days) which focussed very much on these sorts of details. I also loved her little anecdotes about performing with Cope and his pre-show routines. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Naghdi was fascinating to listen to. She sounds like she really put everything into the role to get it just right. I wished I could tell her how fantastic she was the other night. She obviously had a close relationship with her coach for the role as she was visibly upset (and mentioned it) when she said that she had left after her debut. Lesley Collier is doing further work with the couple. She seems like a fabulous young principal, she has a lot of personality and obvious dedication. I found Kish much more awkward in terms of answering the questions asked. I very much got the impression that he saw his role as a giving partner to support Naghdi which I very much saw in the pdds but while the challenges of female virtuosity element of the act 3 solos was discussed, I would have liked to have covered whether Siegfried’s solos are equally challenging and why, to maybe understand Kish’s performance a bit better. 

What I really enjoyed about Darcey Bussell being there was the way the conversation talked about each generation of dancers passing on their expertise to the next in terms of things from an eyeline to how to absorb the character being played. She of course was coached by Fonteyn (for 2 days) which focussed very much on these sorts of details. I also loved her little anecdotes about performing with Cope and his pre-show routines. 

Gosh how fabulous - so wish I’d been there... I love Nagdhi and can’t wait to see her in this role...and so much prefer DB talking about her dancing instead of ‘presenting’ ... 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blossom said:

D*** ! Wish I had known beforehand so I could have bought a ticket. Thank you Blossom for giving us a bit of an insight into the evening.

How interesting to read Darcey Bussell was there too. She made that fascinating BBC documentary "The Magic of Swan Lake" years ago, featuring a very young Naghdi being coached by Bussell. Did Bussell and Naghdi talk about it? 

34 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

D*** ! Wish I had known beforehand so I could have bought a ticket. Thank you Blossom for giving us a bit of an insight into the evening.

How interesting to read Darcey Bussell was there too. She made that fascinating BBC documentary "The Magic of Swan Lake" years ago, featuring a very young Naghdi being coached by Bussell. Did Bussell and Naghdi talk about it? 

Yes Naghdi mentioned it! 

There were still a few tickets left this morning but I suppose the thing is that until arriving this evening, it was impossible to know who the panel would be. One lady turned up and when she found out Darcey Bussell would be on the panel decided she wasn’t going to stay... 

On another note I decided to watch Dowell’s Swan Lake on DVD this evening. The pdt features McRae, Choe and Morera and I know the choreography is different but they just looked more balanced both height wise and stylistically than some of the casts which have been discussed.

I also took a cast sheet for tonight on my way out and there were quite a few changes. Cowley, Katsura and Ball replaced in the waltz and polonaise by Heap and Ella with Ashley Dean. 

Cowley also replaces in Spanish dance - hope all ok there. Stock replaced by Gasparini as a cygnet and by Hannah Grennell in the Czardas. Again, hope all ok with her...

Edited by Blossom
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Blossom said:

Naghdi was fascinating to listen to. She sounds like she really put everything into the role to get it just right. I wished I could tell her how fantastic she was the other night. She obviously had a close relationship with her coach for the role as she was visibly upset (and mentioned it) when she said that she had left after her debut. 

Who was her coach?  

Thank goodness they have finally let everyone know!!  :)   A great shame for Lauren Cuthbertson (and those of us looking forward to seeing her), but I am absolutely thrilled that the one performance of hers for which I had a ticket is the 18th!!   

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

on 18 June, she will be replaced by Yasmine Naghdi

Very sorry for Lauren and hope she'll recover quickly.

I'll look forward very much to reading your posts about 18 June - even if there were returns, I wouldn't be able to go.  Yasmine and Federico should be quite an evening.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sim said:

Thank goodness they have finally let everyone know!!  :)   A great shame for Lauren Cuthbertson (and those of us looking forward to seeing her), but I am absolutely thrilled that the one performance of hers for which I had a ticket is the 18th!!   

Damn and double damn re tomorrow evening - firstly at poor Cuthbertson's shocking bad luck and secondly at STILL not seeing Naghdi! 

• Like 4

Thanks for the cast update Blossom - sad that Cowley is out again.  Has Katsura been injured for a while does anyone know? I have been slightly surprised not to see her given any solo opportunities in this production but an injury would explain that.

32 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Very sorry for Lauren and hope she'll recover quickly.

I'll look forward very much to reading your posts about 18 June - even if there were returns, I wouldn't be able to go.  Yasmine and Federico should be quite an evening.

very jealous!

• Like 1

I think credit needs to be given to Bonelli for dancing Swan Lake with 3 different Odette-Odiles, too.

Hoping Cuthbertson makes a full recovery, at least in time for next season.

• Like 8

I can't believe what an idiot I've been not to double-check that I had a ticket for Nunez/Muntagirov until it was too late - and I've just missed Friday Rush as well!  :o  Oh well, live relay here we come ...