The Royal Ballet: New Swan Lake Production, Summer 2018

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my first sight of this production last night, lovely to see Akane Takada dancing so beautifully again with William Bracewell as Siegfried, and a wonderful pas de trois from Marcelino Sambe, Fumi Kaneko and Anna Rose O'Sullivan. Benno doesn't really seem to count as an important character though, likewise the sisters, liked their period costumes which surprisingly looked okay with the classical choreography. In fact Act 1 was superb with such rich realistic designs, very military feel though and I thought the Rothbart character looked a bit OTT. Act 3 also has a fabulous set and costumes although I didn't like the quartet of Princesses at the beginning in short tutu's. Very good new choreography for the Spanish and Czardas dances in particular, they were more exciting than the usual ones, but Ashton's Neapolitan was still the best of them all, danced by Isabella Gasparini and James Hay! I didn't like the swan acts designs so much, rather gloomy, and I wasn't keen on the opening corps scene of the last act, it looked "dancing by numbers", I am very biased on this though, I did like the new pas de deux, but afraid the final scene had an unfortunate effect from row S of the amphi in that I only saw a pair of legs dangling from above, this really does need adjusting, I'd like to see a photo of how it should look! One image stays with me in particular, the ending of the second act pdd, Odette's position as she leans across looked exquisite with Takada and Bracewell, much prefer this to the arabesque.

• Like 3

There are quite a few seats available for various dates at the moment, although largely high-priced.

And Lindsay, thanks, but I can't ever afford to sit in the stalls anyway, certainly not at these prices!

Stalls prices are indeed wince-inducing.  Sorry about that.  I did nab one standing place and one Lower Slips seat as returns last week though - hopefully some more decent deals in that range will pop up again!

I can vouch for returns coming up occasionally - I nabbed a decent SCS last week for last Monday evening's (Osipova/Ball) performance (even though I did end up deciding I was too tired and selling it on to another forum member!)

Feeling the need before bedtime to return this thread to a discussion of the performances :)

The Nunez/Muntagirov cast blew the audience away again tonight. Highlights included:

• the lovely pas de trois pairing of Hayward and Takada
  • the symmetry of the 'big' swans (Magri and Calvert)
  • the fluidity of Nunez's movement
  • the panache of Bracewell in the Mazurka
  • MUNTAGIROV IN EVERY ASPECT OF HIS AWESOME SIEGFRIED

WoW!

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, capybara said:

Feeling the need before bedtime to return this thread to a discussion of the performances :)

The Nunez/Muntagirov cast blew the audience away again tonight. Highlights included:

• the lovely pas de trois pairing of Hayward and Takada
  • the symmetry of the 'big' swans (Magri and Calvert)
  • the fluidity of Nunez's movement
  • the panache of Bracewell in the Mazurka
  • MUNTAGIROV IN EVERY ASPECT OF HIS AWESOME SIEGFRIED

WoW!

oh yes it was wonderful. 

I was going to wait until tomorrow - it’s very late - but I am still buzzing from tonight’s performance and unlikely to sleep, so may as well write something now!

I think that overall, Liam Scarlett has produced a Swan Lake to be very proud of. Sure, there were some things I was less keen on - the ending, for one thing - I felt it was a bit anticlimactic - and why don’t the Princesses dance the national dances? It seems a waste of First Soloists just to have them doing the waltz and no more. But having said that, I really enjoyed the national dances, especially the Spanish, wonderfully danced by Clarke, Edmonds, Ella, Montano and Tierney Heap, who is wonderful in these feistier roles.

Campbell, Hayward and Takada were all fabulous - such a starry line up, and wonderful to watch.

There was a gasp from my section of the audience when the curtain went up on Act 3. Not surprising, it was positively dazzling - and the costumes all round just sumptuous. This production certainly has the wow factor.

As for Nunez and Muntagirov, I was already choked up by the first interval because of the sheer beauty of their dancing and partnership. Marianela may not be the most natural Odette, but you can guarantee a consummate performance from her every time and she surprised me by how delicate she can be. With Muntagirov, it made for a heartbreaking pairing.

Nunez as Odile was a completely seductive minx, who had her innocent Siegfried completely in her thrall from the first moment. And what can I say about Muntagirov that hasn’t already been said? That Act 3 solo - indeed all his dancing - was stupendous. Perfect technique, leaps that seem to hang in the air combined with velvety landings, unwavering turns and pirouettes, culminating in that amazing sequence of double double tours - heart stopping. And all danced in character. Just jaw dropping. He is really something very special.

The Act 4 pas de deux - just beautiful, and having seen the Insight video, great to see how they had both taken and acted on Scarlett’s coaching. If only the ending were different....

• Like 12

Also - when Siegfried is zapped (for want of a better word!) by Von Rothbart near the end, and rolls towards the front of the stage, Vadim gave me (and probably others) a heart attack moment as it looked as though he was going to roll right off the stage! He stopped right on the brink of disaster....😱

• Like 4

In a reprehensible oversight, I forgot to mention the Corps, but let’s put it down to tiredness.... beautiful symmetry, I saw no signs of raggedness or anything else. Didn’t even mind the cygnets now they have got rid of the head bobbing....

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

In a reprehensible oversight, I forgot to mention the Corps, but let’s put it down to tiredness.... beautiful symmetry, I saw no signs of raggedness or anything else.

Me neither, I thought they were terrific.

It was my first time too and I was also pleasantly surprised at the ending. Whether this was because, having read the comments on the forum and the reviews, I was prepared for the worst I can't say but I found that the overarching vision of the swan Odette looking down upon Siegfried cradling her human form really worked, ditto the triumph of the other swans over Von Rothbart in terms of the much needed catharsis.

Nunez was wonderful, the soloists superb and as for Muntagirov - Vadream indeed! Is it possible to improve upon his breathtaking performance? I doubt it and, judging by the whoops and cheers both mid-performance and again at the end, the rest of the audience agreed.

Plaudits too, uniformly, to the rest of the cast, the fabulous Koen Kessels and the orchestra.

No more Swan Lakes until closing night with Takada and Bracewell. I can't wait.

• Like 5

My first and only visit to see the new production. Generally, I enjoyed it. The sets are stunning, costumes even more so although I agree with other posters that the princesses in tutus looked rather out of place. I rather liked the prologue which made the story seem more logical, but I sympathized with people behind me (I was in SC side Row A) who couldn't see Odette leaping off the rock and were left wondering what had happened. Incidentally, it seems Saturday night seems,more popular for non regular ballet goers judging by the number around me who were avidly reading the story of the ballet. The performance was good, Lamb and Bonelli both danced well without setting the stage on fire! Many cast changes, so we had Ella insteAd of James Hay as Benno, Magri and Choe as the sisters,both beautifully danced.  The corps were superb, certainly didn't look ragged to me. Loved the national dances all danced with great panache.I know it's probably heretical of me to say so, but I find little Swan Lake goes a long way with me!

• Like 3

I was at last night's performance too and there certainly were quite a few cast changes, so I hope Hay, McNally et al are all ok. I was a little confused as to why the Princess in the prologue had visibly dark hair yet turned into a blonde Sarah Lamb (this had been rectified by the end).   I loved the sets, particularly Acts 1 and 3, the latter drawing a gasp from many people.    Lighting was mostly good with the exception of Act 4 in which Siegried's dark costume disappears into the gloom.  On the whole, we thought the costumes were stunning but Benno's slightly cheap looking "Nutcracker" costume in Act 3 is jarring and unnecessary. 

Disappointed as we were that James Hay had been replaced, Ella's Benno was terrific.  I loved his pairing with Choe and Magri who were well matched, both technically excellent and beautifully charming as Siegried's sisters.  

In the Waltz and Polonaise, my eye was torn between the star quality of Reece Clarke (partnering Fumi Kaneko beautifully), Tristan Dyer and Isabella Gasparini who absolutely charmed me throughout.  

I wish the national dances had featured the Princesses but even so, they were hugely enjoyable with standout performances from Reece Clarke, Paul Kay and Anna-Rose O'Sullivan. 

Gartside was terrific as Von Rothbart who cast spidery shadows and died an impressive death on the rocks.  His role in Court made so much more sense as to why he was at the ball, and snatching the crown at the end of Act 3 was a great addition.  

I didn't find the ending moved me; like others I found it didn't match the music.  

Finally, to Bonelli and Lamb - yes, it's slightly evident that Bonelli is not as young as he was (lower arabesques and a small wobble in Act 3) but his leaps and turns were terrific and his customarily wonderful acting was evident throughout, even if it was missing the chemistry he has with Cuthbertson.   We were delighted to have seen him and given that he and Lamb must have been paired only recently, his partnering was so strong.  The pdds were my favourite part of the whole ballet and were cheered enthusiastically.  Lamb was lusciously pliant and oh so elegant but I didn't feel as though she gave much of herself emotionally.  I know she has to dance O/O again (tomorrow?) with Hirano so she may have been restraining herself somewhat, and who can blame her.  Her fouettés were absolutely brilliant with barely any travelling, and both she and Bonelli were quite rightly cheered, with a few sections of the audience giving a standing ovation at the end. 

Overall, we loved the new production and are looking forward to seeing it again in the cinema.

• Like 9

Before I eulogise over last night's performance, I should own up to the fact that I am a huge fan of Lamb and that in all the years I’ve been enjoying her dancing (and acting) I’ve never seen her give a poor performance or less than her best. I feel similarly enthusiastic about Bonelli.

I say this at the outset because having enjoyed the 'Principal Promotion Pipeline' thread, it is apparent that each of us has our particular favourites, some I share and some I don’t. 

I’ve now seen three casts perform the new SL and I thought last night's was the most amazing of the three. In each of the shows, there are passages or performances that were, in my view, terrific but last night it all seemed to come together perfectly. 

I thought that Lamb (and Swan Lake is always dependant on the female lead) led from the front with a determination and enthusiasm that from my perspective seemed to embrace the company generally and that that company enthusiasm provoked an appreciative audience to respond in kind.

I don’t suppose anyone will disagree with me about the perfection of Acts 2 and 4, Lamb and the Corps were splendid, and I share Anna C's view about Acts 1 and 3. I too thought that the princesses and national dances were performed as well as I’ve seen them performed. 

A really terrific evening.

• Like 9

I agree about the Corps, Rob. I'd love to have seen them from DG Grand Tier to see their patterns but from the stalls I couldn't see any raggedness at all.  I hope the ROH breaks with tradition and has a camera up in Donald Gordon for the live stream. 

• Like 4

Sorry if I sounded somewhat critical didn't mean to! I think  both Lamb and,Bonelli gave excellent performances - they're both dancers that I admire greatly and I think Bonelli was on particularly good form - his stage presence is always good and partnering was,as always, exemplary. I enjoy Lamb in more abstract works, but t find her slightly lacking in roles where characterisation is needed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

Finally, to Bonelli and Lamb - yes, it's slightly evident that Bonelli is not as young as he was (lower arabesques and a small wobble in Act 3) but his leaps and turns were terrific and his customarily wonderful acting was evident throughout, even if it was missing the chemistry he has with Cuthbertson.   We were delighted to have seen him and given that he and Lamb must have been paired only recently, his partnering was so strong.  The pdds were my favourite part of the whole ballet and were cheered enthusiastically.  Lamb was lusciously pliant and oh so elegant but I didn't feel as though she gave much of herself emotionally.  I know she has to dance O/O again (tomorrow?) with Hirano so she may have been restraining herself somewhat, and who can blame her.  Her fouettés were absolutely brilliant with barely any travelling, and both she and Bonelli were quite rightly cheered, with a few sections of the audience giving a standing ovation at the end.

Bonelli and Lamb have danced together before: they were in the Alice in Wonderland performance that was shown on TV some years back.  I thought they were terrific together and he seemed to bring out Lamb's mischievous sense of humour which can rarely be seen in the serious roles she is usually assigned.

Linda

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

Gartside was terrific as Von Rothbart who cast spidery shadows and died an impressive death on the rocks. 

I like the way that VR suddenly emerges out of the Rock in Act II then merges back into it on his death.

• Like 3

That sense of humour from Lamb was evident during the recent run of Elite Syncopations, Linda - she was fabulous.  I think I've seen Lamb and Bonelli together before, but I assume it was planned, giving them more rehearsal time together.    To me, Bonelli and Cuthbertson have that indefinable chemistry that makes theirs a very special partnership, and one I particularly look forward to seeing.  

Don't get me wrong, Lamb was fantastic last night, especially in Act 3.  The whole of that act was something very special and my mouth was literally agape afterwards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I like the way that VR suddenly emerges out of the Rock in Act II then merges back into it on his death.

Yes.  My daughter said he almost becomes part of the rock.  Very clever.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Me too - he's like a piece of slime. Or perhaps lakeweed. :lol:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

I agree about the Corps, Rob. I'd love to have seen them from DG Grand Tier to see their patterns but from the stalls I couldn't see any raggedness at all.  I hope the ROH breaks with tradition and has a camera up in Donald Gordon for the live stream. 

In each of the (4!) performances I have seen, whether viewed from near the front of the stalls to the rear of the balcony, the Corps have looked wonderful, and completely together, despite also having other commitments (i.e. the Gala and for some their other individual roles in SL). I cannot praise them enough for their dedication, skill, and grace.

• Like 6

I didn't think this was worth a thread of its own, but I noticed yesterday that there appears to be a strike on the Jubilee and District lines scheduled for Wednesday.  With luck, it'll be called off.

19 minutes ago, alison said:

I didn't think this was worth a thread of its own, but I noticed yesterday that there appears to be a strike on the Jubilee and District lines scheduled for Wednesday.  With luck, it'll be called off.

In fact the District Line strike has been suspended and services will run as normal. The Jubilee line strike is still on and there will be no services if it does go ahead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

In fact the District Line strike has been suspended and services will run as normal. The Jubilee line strike is still on and there will be no services if it does go ahead.

And now the Jubilee line strike has been suspended.

• Like 1