Oliver’s story

primrose

1 hour ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

We recently contacted our GP about some difficulties ds was having (he is autistic and severe anxiety was causing alarming behaviours).  The GP said if it happens again call the police and they will arrest him!!!!  Ds is 15 years old!

That is absolutely dreadful Pictures.  Best wishes to you all.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

We recently contacted our GP about some difficulties ds was having (he is autistic and severe anxiety was causing alarming behaviours).  The GP said if it happens again call the police and they will arrest him!!!!  Ds is 15 years old!

I think this is common advice to get the young person into the system. We have family experience of a teenager with out of control behaviour related to autism and despite there being clear evidence that he needed help for some time, the GP and Camhs failed him badly. His family were told to call the police when he had a meltdown as he would have to be taken to a place of safety and assessed. He was, and then entered the mental health system and after quite a long time, including a period of over a year where he was sectioned under the mental health act, help has been forthcoming. It is so sad that it had to get to that point as it was distressing for all and could have been avoided if he had been given when asked for. Best wishes to your son, Pictures. Happy for you to pm me if I can help with more information. 

• Like 2

Oiver's story on BBC breakfast

This link takes you to a report on the announcement about the training.  Somewhere there is a clip of Primrose being interviewed today, I have seen it on facebook, but can't find it on the BBC right now.  I don't know if she is likely to log on here, but her tireless campaigning will raise awareness and hopefully make a difference for some vulnerable people. 

• Like 1

A huge congratulations to Primrose for fighting tirelessly to get this campaign firstly to parliament which is an almost impossible challenge and now the law has been passed that all NHS professionals must have mandatory training in autism, this is all in Oliver’s name. 

Primrose has fought so hard so no other vulnerable child or adult suffers in the horrific way that Oliver did. If you haven’t read his story, then please do. Primrose and her family are in so much pain to have lost such a kind and vibrant young boy, who had everything to live for. 

A huge congratulations to Primrose, I am so very proud of you. 

• Like 10

• 11 months later...

Hopefully Oliver will now get justice. Well done to Primrose and her husband, Oliver’s father for fighting, unearthing medical negligence covered up. Bringing mandatory training for all doctors and nurses, so no other family have to suffer like Oliver did. 

• Like 4

Changing not just the UK, but potentially the world. I saw the below article on the Australian news last month and immediately remembered this thread. Thank you, Primrose, for continuing your advocacy. I'm sure it can't be easy for you and your family, but the changes you are fighting for will save lives xx

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-22/disability-royal-commission-hears-of-drugs-effect-on-teenager/12689418

• Like 3

Oliver was given that drug even though it was written on his bed, in his records and on his medical passport. Oliver was promised that he wouldn’t be given the drug by the doctors. It took one neurologist to ignore Oliver based on his mild autism, she removed all Oliver’s decisions and human rights, even though he had full capacity. That neurologist killed Oliver. 
Olivers parents continue to educate and fight for people who have autism and disabilities, they have fought tirelessly to get Oliver the justice he deserves. It’s so good to have support for this beautiful family from this forum.  

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Paula McGowan, Oliver's Mum and longtime forum member Primrose, has been awarded the OBE for services to autism and people with learning difficulties.

Congratulations to Paula on her award and thank you to her for her tireless work for people with autism and learning difficulties.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/queens-birthday-honours-mum-bristol-5519938

• Like 17

I am so very proud of Paula and for all her hard work. Paula deserves this recognition. Dr Mohan is now being investigated for her actions. Oliver was a healthy active teenager, he was bright and intelligent and he had autism.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, primrose said:

Thank you so much for your kind Comments. 
Canary please do not worry about public entries. Dr Monica Mohan being investigated by the GMC and police is reported all over the media, press and television 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/health/oliver-mcgowan-mohan-olanzapine-gmc-b1866994.html%3famp

Many congratulations Primrose. Its wonderful that your hard work has received recognition. Hopefully through all your work and efforts important lessons will be learnt to ensure this does not happen again. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 18/06/2021 at 20:50, Lisa O`Brien said:

Hope you don't mind me telling Jan about your OBE Primrose. I know the Balletcoforum community would have wanted to know. Many congratulations from me. x

On 19/06/2021 at 03:05, Ruby said:

Many congratulations Primrose. Its wonderful that your hard work has received recognition. Hopefully through all your work and efforts important lessons will be learnt to ensure this does not happen again. 

Thank you so much, I do apologise for not responding sooner, I haven’t been on the page for a while x

• Like 3

On 18/06/2021 at 16:31, Jan McNulty said:

Paula McGowan, Oliver's Mum and longtime forum member Primrose, has been awarded the OBE for services to autism and people with learning difficulties.

Congratulations to Paula on her award and thank you to her for her tireless work for people with autism and learning difficulties.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/queens-birthday-honours-mum-bristol-5519938

Thank you Jan, I do apologise for responding so late, I have only just seen this x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1