Dog news

JulieW

9 hours ago, Anna C said:

... I think the commentator said the larger poodles originally had the strange haircuts in order to combine propulsion through water with protecting their joints, ...

I've always thought that explanation was questionable.  If it's to protect joints, why leave a topknot on the head and a thick vest around the top half of the body?  And what use are two powderpuff-shaped scallops of wool over the hips and a ball on the end of the tail in protecting the lower half?

• Like 1

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
8 minutes ago, AnneMarriott said:

I've always thought that explanation was questionable.  If it's to protect joints, why leave a topknot on the head and a thick vest around the top half of the body?  And what use are two powderpuff-shaped scallops of wool over the hips and a ball on the end of the tail in protecting the lower half?

As I understand it, poodles were originally water retrievers. The "vest" was to keep the vital organs warm, the two "powderpuffs"  protected the kidneys and the "ball" to protect the tip of the the tail. The rest was shaved to cut down weight and drag in the water. 

The "topknot"? Something to grab on to???

Edited by oncnp

11 hours ago, oncnp said:

As I understand it, poodles were originally water retrievers. The "vest" was to keep the vital organs warm, the two "powderpuffs"  protected the kidneys and the "ball" to protect the tip of the the tail. The rest was shaved to cut down weight and drag in the water. 

The "topknot"? Something to grab on to???

That sounds more plausible but did duck hunters really take their poodles out looking like that?

• Like 3

For once I agreed with the winning dog at Crufts.   Really liked that flat coat Retriever I thought he was going to knock the champagne off the table at one point his tale was wagging so much but also lots of other lovely dogs who didn’t win their category that I liked. I’m not keen on the toy breeds though on the whole and tend to prefer larger dogs generally though some smaller dogs can look cute like the Pomeranian in an earlier round just looked so cute doing his walk out his little legs working ten to the dozen though I wouldn’t choose that breed myself. That poodle was a bit too over the top for me!! I also liked the Collie in the final. 

• Like 1