Dog news

JulieW

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to watch until it was all too late :(

Actually, I did watch the "Extra" programme midweek - for about 10-15 minutes, until my tolerance threshold for Alan Carr was exceeded and I decided there was going to be no "serious" stuff worth bothering to hang on for.

• Like 1

I discovered yesterday when I tried to follow Anna’s link on Twitter that Crufts has blocked me. This might be because last year I said that their breed standards were crippling some breeds such as Boxers and Cavalier King Charles spaniels. Good. If they can’t handle the truth, they are a waste of time.

• Like 1

Didn't someone make a statement that the judges shouldn't target bulldog type breeds this year including the French variety.

Not sure if it was a representative from Crufts though or just one of the dog breeders.

Silly of them to block you bit of an over reaction I think......perhaps they think you are a PETA activist!! 

Lovely line up of group winners. I picked the BIS and Reserve, so pleased I have still got the eye for a good dog. Very happy to see my old breed, the smooth collie get group 3 in a very large and strong Pastoral Group. They are an endangered breed but are very intelligent and lovely dogs to own.

• Like 3

Hello all. We had a lovely day yesterday. No place for Jiffy in a large class but a 3rd for Tartu (in a slightly smaller one).

I don't mind saying I really don't like whippets, but that one caught my eye in the BIS ring. We were rooting for the flatcoat of course in the Gundog group - he's Gimble's half brother. Happy he got Group 3 but as he won Reserve BIS 3 years ago it would been amazing to see him win again!

PETA are an awful organisation who need to lose their charitable status imho. I hope the winners still managed to enjoy their wins.

And don't get me started on Alan Carr - I couldn't bring myself to watch any of his bits after last year, and reading friends comments. I'm all for making it more entertaining to the masses, but really....!

• Like 6

That Flattie is such a beautiful dog. ❤️ I was surprised the Scottie didn't place in BIS because he performed beautifully.  Nice little Whippet but not my favourite although the Judge is a Whippet breeder so obviously liked what she saw.  I loved the Pointer; what a lovely temperament she had.   That "pitch invasion" was outrageous; scary for the dogs and their handlers, scary for the audience in times where we seem to always be on high alert, ill-thought out and for PETA to take responsibility and publicly support the protestors is disgraceful.

As ever I was disappointed that the Border Collie didn't win because (with apologies to my Mini Schnauzer) they truly are such wonderful, clever and keen to please dogs.  I don't know why one has never won BIS.  

Clare Balding is such a warm and natural presenter and I'd be happy just to watch her do the interviews and links followed by actual proper coverage of the groups, agility, flyball and obedience as they never seem to show any of the latter on the main show.  :(

• Like 2

Well I too had a soft spot for the collie as I wasn't sure if have ever won the final and to be so close. I love collies as my Aunty and my next door neighbour have one they seem such intelligent dogs I'm sure they know what you are thinking! 

I agree the flat coat retriever was a beautiful dog too.

Although not a big fan of scotties have to admit they do look cute in the arena little legs going so purposefully ten to the dozen!! 

• Like 2

On 12/03/2018 at 13:59, LinMM said:

Didn't someone make a statement that the judges shouldn't target bulldog type breeds this year including the French variety.

On that note, I see there's a programme on BBC1, 9 pm, tonight called "Saving the British Bulldog".

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

As my FB friends who are also Forum members know my Chipdog had to have a wart removed from his side on Tuesday after it started changing suddenly and quite rapidly.  He had had the wart since I got him nearly 4 years ago from the dogs' home and I have always kept an eye on it.

Although Tuesday could best be described as stressful, Chip came through his op with flying colours.  His stitches are coming out on Friday but until then he's got to wear his doughnut collar and is very restricted in allowed exercise.

Here's a picture of him looking doleful in his doughnut collar.

73AF533A-CC75-4A7D-BBE2-C264F0BD051C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ac5dee8ff15266b6aefc9a11d9adfbff.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

As my FB friends who are also Forum members know my Chipdog had to have a wart removed from his side on Tuesday after it started changing suddenly and quite rapidly.  He had had the wart since I got him nearly 4 years ago from the dogs' home and I have always kept an eye on it.

Although Tuesday could best be described as stressful, Chip came through his op with flying colours.  His stitches are coming out on Friday but until then he's got to wear his doughnut collar and is very restricted in allowed exercise.

Here's a picture of him looking doleful in his doughnut collar.

73AF533A-CC75-4A7D-BBE2-C264F0BD051C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ac5dee8ff15266b6aefc9a11d9adfbff.jpeg

Poor chap, speedy recovery Chipdog. Too hot for walks, good excuse to rest in cool room. 

2 hours ago, Jane said:

Poor chap, speedy recovery Chipdog. Too hot for walks, good excuse to rest in cool room. 

It's really cooled down here (Liverpool) having been very hot yesterday.  We went for an on-lead walk and now he's snoozing in the porch.  As one of my friends said to me yesterday - he's got me well and truly wrapped round one of his paws!

35 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

It's really cooled down here (Liverpool) having been very hot yesterday.  We went for an on-lead walk and now he's snoozing in the porch.  As one of my friends said to me yesterday - he's got me well and truly wrapped round one of his paws!

Isn’t that what pets are for Jan? To have us just where they need us. 
Beginning to cool here but still masses of thunder bugs 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Chip is absolutely loving his hydrotherapy (although whether it is the treats or the water I'm not sure).  This video is from his latest session today.  On his first visit he did 2x1 minute walks on the treadmill and was absolutely exhausted.  Today he did 3x4 minute walks and was raring to go walkies when we got home!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

He certainly put on a good show, didn’t he.  I can’t take to the disproportionately huge bouffant hair though. 🤭 I think the commentator said the larger poodles originally had the strange haircuts in order to combine propulsion through water with protecting their joints, but imho the toy poodle just looked ridiculous.  

I wanted that beautiful Border Collie to be Reserve.  Loved the flatcoat; what a happy dog. 

• Like 4

I had already picked the poodle as a potential winner. V happy to see flatcoat win and liver is a less popular colour. 

border collie was a lovely dog - great movement.

v disappointed with the rough collie best of breed winner- not my type at all. Did think the smooth collie was v smart though.

• Like 1