Dog news

JulieW

Thanks - my hubby's the one who usually comes up with names.  Gimble took a while to grow on me (the name, not the dog) but now I can't imagine him being called anything else.

Our Welsh Springer - Tartu - causes some issues when talking to Josh as he feels a bit daft when we're on Skype and he's calling the dogs, and his flatmates are wondering why he's shouting out the name of where they live  :)

Tartu's got a couple of shows in half term - I'll let you know how he gets on (need to trim his ears - a time consuming job!)

• Like 2

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My niece has just got a puppy and called him Marley!  He's a Staffi and he is at that very cute stage and seems lovely natured.

My Chunkydog isn't so impressed with him though - he wants to play when she wants to sleep!

• Like 1

The age difference thing can apply to cats too....observation of parents cats.....it must be so annoying this young upstart continually trying to pounce on your tail when you're just settling down for your nap!

Is Chunkydog the name of your dog Janet?

Officially she's Chunk but no-one realised who or what I was talking about.  I didn't name her!  She's very full of character and the most stubborn dog I have ever met but we love her to bits.  Just off to take her walkies......

• Like 1

Walkies With Chunk....could be a best seller!!

A funny doggy story....once I was sitting in a busy vets waiting room (with my then now deceased cat Toscar) when a man arrived with a Great Dane who he struggled to get through the door...as obviously had bad memories of the vets.. Anyway finally got him in and the man sat down whereupon this huge GreatDane leapt onto his lap visibly shaking....it was such a funny site that the whole room simultaneously burst out laughing!! Poor dog.....at least the man saw the funny side and said his dog was always like this he was used to it now.

Also talking of names and revealing a bit of ignorance now....when I got Toscar in October 1984 I wanted a theatrical name and liked the sound of Tosca even though had hardly been to any operas at the time....just heard and seen the name in print. Then a friend pointed out that Tosca was a female in the opera not the male as I thought so I just added an "r" and the name became Toscar!

• Like 3

That is so true. Someone I once knew called their kitten Princess. It got used to the name but the vet said it was a boy. The owner's five year old insisted on naming the cat Simon after his best friend. However, the cat would only answer to Princess Simon. To make matters worse, as a joke, my friend started calling for "Princess Simon, Mummy's little man" In no time at all the cat would only respond to that! This is absolutely true.

• Like 1

Talking of cats, ours has become more and more fussy over the years and she turns up her nose at most food. The other day she wolfed down some new stuff (which Hubby had bought) so I thought I'd get some more. 

On closer inspection however, I noticed that he'd bought dog food by mistake!

• Like 3

JulieW same well done...love to see a photo...when I go for next IPad lesson must ask them how to post piccies on the forum..and links..not sure yet.

So he's top Tartu now!

Taxi4ballet I love the bit about the cat wolfing down the dog food!! But they do get fussy with age. It can be annoying....you think they've got a "thing" for particular ....usually expensive...brand and flavour...go out and stock up and then they turn their nose up at it...grrr!

• Like 1

A couple of people have mentioned on the Cat-alogue thread about their cats liking to sleep under the duvet.

A while ago, Mum went into her bedroom and suddenly started screaming!  I ran into the room and it looked as though the bed was alive as the covers were heaving violently.  Chunkydog had sneaked into the room and into the bed and was trying to escape when Mum found her!  We have laughed about it since but it did give us a fright!

She normally sneaks into my room!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Was up on the prom this afternoon with Chunkydog being a responsible servant (oh I mean owner) and picking up her pressies.  I had to wonder why horse owners aren't obliged to do the same when I came across a giant pile of horse manure!

• Like 1

Was up on the prom this afternoon with Chunkydog being a responsible servant (oh I mean owner) and picking up her pressies.  I had to wonder why horse owners aren't obliged to do the same when I came across a giant pile of horse manure!

Good for roses! My horse riding friend used to deliberately stop by my house (30 odd years ago) and my dad would be waiting with a shovel!!!

• Like 2

Good for roses! My horse riding friend used to deliberately stop by my house (30 odd years ago) and my dad would be waiting with a shovel!!!

I think this was very common in the olden days(!) but it's neither use nor ornament on the prom - just a danger to anyone who didn't notice it.  Mind you there was so much that anyone who didn't notice it must have been as blind as a bat!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what one of the judges said about Tartu:  "Just 12 months and still to mature into his frame, masculine head with deep stop, nice ear shape, good forequarters, lovely tight feet, moved with enthusiasm."  (I think the last bit means he was a bit excited ;) )

009%20Tobermyn%20Minstrel%20Boy%20Sp%20B

• Like 3

JulieW I love Tartu already......what a gorgeous dog!! and that's a lovely photo.

Do you mind me asking how you posted it onto the site?

Ive been in the help place this morning on the forum asking whether personal photos (as opposed to from a website etc) are possible to post from an IPad......otherwise will have toget all my piccies put onto the iMac....bit of a drag!

So will you try him at Crufts next year?

Thanks Linda - he's quite handsome isn't he :)   He went to Crufts this year but didn't get placed (huge class so not expecting to really) and I haven't been to any championship shows yet this year (he needs a 1st or 2nd at a champ show to qualify for Crufts next year) - but I should be able to get to some in the next few months.  It is lovely taking them, but I've been a few times now with two different flatcoats and now Tartu, so I'm not quite so excited about it as I was ;)

(I just copied and pasted the photo - came out a bit big, and I'm sure there's a thread about that telling you how to re-size them, but I thought it'd do!)

• 4 weeks later...

Many of you know that Chunkydog really likes eating the post (especially parcels from Amazon!).  Well, she was nearly the late Chunkydog the other day.  Fortunately she started on a piece of junk mail so I managed to save my ROH tickets by the skin of my teeth!

• Like 2

Well I suppose if you had caught chunky dog red hot with the tickets in his mouth and taken a piccie the ROH might have let you off!! But thank goodness for junk mail in this instance.....something thought I'd never say!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very sad to say we had to have our old golden retriever, Zephyr, put to sleep just over a week ago. He wasn't obviously ill for long, but went rapidly downhill. You know they're not going to be around forever but it's still heart-breaking when they go. He was such a lovely dog and we all really miss his gorgeous face around the place. My children grew up with him, so it's been really sad but they've taken it well (it was me who was a wreck).

Glad to have the other two here - it does help - would hate to come home to dog bedding and toys etc, but no dogs :-(

So sorry to hear this Julie. No matter how much you think you are prepared when they go its just really sad.

As you say at least having the other two will help.

I felt very sorry for my neighbour a few months ago as she lost her 13 year old Collie and as she is now 83 she said she didn't think she ought to get another dog now because of her age even though she is still active but said she would think about it.

No sign of another dog yet but she does miss her (janie) company.

Thanks Fiz - it has been a tough one. Zephyr was my mum's favourite of our dogs which seemed to make things worse. Then we get the great news about dd getting fab results and into vet school, which has helped to lift my mood, but tinged with sadness about not sharing it with my mum. I think people around me think I'm fine - and actually I am most of the time - but quiet times are tough, when I have time to think about what's happened this year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...