Dog news

JulieW

All your dogs are gorgeous.Really enjoyed reading!

My little baby as you can see is a Husky.His name is Oscar and he is 18 months old.I didn't want a dog but my kids pressured my dh and myself into it.He is a big baby and follows me around everywhere.He can speak and says,mama when he wants me and can also call his girlfriend Lila who lives next door!

We love him to bits.

• Like 4

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit that what kept us going when our beautiful Border Collie died was the fact that we still had a dog, so we weren't suddenly a dogless household. The gap that a beloved dog leaves is absolutely huge, and I found it just that bit easier to still have a dog in the house.

That is indeed the risk you take when you allow yourself to love a dog. :-)

• Like 2

But in my experience the love that you feel for your dog (or other pet) and the love you get in return is worth the eventual heartache.

Janet you are so right. We have always had at least two dogs up to when one of them died and always Cavalier Spaniels. I think this time was different because the attachment was much stronger having lost my partner.

It was also our quality time together as I had finished work deliberately to be with Chino. Although I knew he had a developing heart condition common in that breed, I was expecting that little guy to be around for at least another couple of years, instead we got one and a half precious months together. If there is a god, I really think he had cheated both of us. I know I will get another one, possibly next summer when I have sorted out someone local to come in and look after him if I’m likely to be late home, I really don’t want to subject a new dog to kennels like Chino did all the years I was at work.

• Like 1

I have a friend on Twitter who had just lost a dog and his second dog is bereft. When we had to put down our first labrador, the whole waiting room fell silent when I returned with just the lead and our retriever took one look at the empty lead, then ran behind me to find her beloved friend, looked at the lead again and then just howled. It was horrible. I was very upset and both my daughters were crying. A terrible day.

Oh, that's so sad Fiz. :-((

We decided to pay over £150 extra to have our beautiful boy put to sleep at home. It was the best money I've ever spent, partly because he was in such pain that I don't think he could have tolerated being moved, and partly because I wanted him to go off to sleep at home, on his beloved bed, surrounded by familiarity and the people he loved.

When he'd gone to sleep, we put Bernie (the mini schnauzer) on the floor. He walked round Rolf several times, sniffed him, and laid down next to his head for a few minutes. When the vet took Rolf away, Bernie curled up on his bed but although he whined a few times and went out once into the garden to look for Rolf, he didn't look for him again.

The Vet said that Bernie knew that Rolf had gone and wasn't coming back. So although we had our own heartbreak to deal with, at least we didn't have a pining or howling little dog to deal with as well.

• Like 1

Oh my gosh I can't believe I'm crying at these posts :'(

we've been a cat family since hubby and I were at uni and sneaked one into our flat - sadly she passed away at 18yrs old a few yrs ago and although we had accumulated 4 others, I thought it was time I let my dear dog loving husband have a dog!

That was 5 yrs ago and we have a rather too chubby black lab/collie cross called Marmite, new foundland/retriever cross called Poppy and another unknown rescue cross called Dinky (all our cats are bigger than her!)

We lost our favourite ginger Tom cat a couple of years ago and I was beside myself - never thought I could feel so sad - they really are all part of our happy, crazy, family!

• Like 2

I have 3 bulldogs. When are old boy was pts 4 years ago I wasn't going to get another bulldog. Within 2 months we had Oscar, 6 months later, Elsie and then last Dec we rescued Ted then 8. The mess? Huge. Three predominantly white dogs lead to a lot of hoovering.lol But they have helped keep me going through health issues. When they are all curled up on the sofa together my heart melts. All the children ask to see them when they Skype.

• Like 4

What cut me to the heart about Blanchette's death was that she was my husband's dog really. We had been away that weekend to see friends and she was in kennels. We had a call on our answer phone to say that they were a bit worried about her and if we were back before 4.00 on Sunday afternoon, please would we ring. We weren't, but I rang them anyway and there was no reply. I had a bad feeling because she had mouth cancer and was being treated for it and I did not sleep. I collected her first thing in the morning and she did not look right at all. They said they had been worrying about nothing and that she'd slept on a heating pad and was very much better. I did not think so but I watched her very carefully. My husband was on a deadline at work and I wanted him to be there so I decided to wait until 6.00 -6.30. About 2.30, she suddenly lurched and seemed to collapse, then brought up a lot of black fluid. I rang my husband and his female boss said if he went home, he need not both to return to work ever again. I could not leave to go to the vet as the girls were due home from school and did not then have door keys. I think Blanchette had a heart attack. As soon as the girls arrived home we drove off with her to the vet. She took one look at her and put her to sleep. My husband never got to say goodbye to her and she adored him and he was later sacked even though he did not come home. He won his case for unfair dismissal but he never got the chance to be with the dog again. I dislike that person so very much. :angry:

She was a terrible woman, the sort that gives women in business a bad name. Her treatment of my poor husband caused her downfall though. She was bought out of her own company. She is probably dead now but I cannot feel sorry for her, Julie.

• 2 weeks later...

I know how you feel, just over a week ago I see a wonderful site, a small open boat went past in the river adjacent to my house with mum a small daughter in the front, dad stering the outboard motor in the back and a big white dulux dog sat so proudly in the middle looking forward, the really did bring a smile to my face. I thought it worthy of posting and after reading the recent posts I just sat and sobbed and could bring myself to do the post.

This last weekend as been a bit of a doggie weekend for me:

Firstly I had a card from my brothers Ex as we are still friends, telling me she had a new dog, a cavalier spaniel. I phoned her and made arrangement to pop in and see her (the new dog really), it was a Blenheim and very shy to start with, by the end of the evening its came and sat on my knee and went to sleep, she was gorgeous, her name is mille and is 3 years old. Sadly she was given away by her previous owners who no longer wanted her.

Secondly on the Sunday night I gave one of our Salsa ladies a lift to a party, when I took her home she invited me in for coffee, unknown to me she had two well groomed white Scotty dogs, they were extremely friendly and both wanted to sit on my knee, it brought back memories of happy times. That lady now is joining one of the Ballet classes I go to, as she did ballet when she was a young girl.

• Like 1

We visited Gimble's puppies at the weekend. They were great bundles of fun as they're 7 weeks and going off to their new homes soon. I'll put a photo on later. A couple will be living quite close to us, and a few will be shown so we'll see them at shows - their breeder's very happy with how they've turned out - a very even litter apparently. Wish we could have one!

Another litter due this weekend - not such a "showy" bitch but a very experienced breeder who was determined to have Gimble as the dad.

All very exciting :-)

• Like 3

In Antalya there are loads of stray dogs.They are the sweetest and friendly dogs.What happens is the government takes the strays and gives them their injections and puts a tag on their ear and let's them back out.If you want one of the dogs you can take the dog and get the tag taken off and have the medical history.The strays are well looked after on the streets and everyone feeds them.They are sort of part of the community and go around in packs.

When I lived in Spain there was one day every year when the government would announce they were going to shoot any dogs on the street!and they did!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Crufts yesterday - sadly no place for Tartu (although lots of compliments from people who thought he should've), but Gimble won his mid-limit class - so I'm very happy to have a red certificate and Rosette from crufts at last (he came second in his class two years ago and my first flatcoat qualified bit didn't get placed).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DD came home from school today and told me a story about a friend who knows someone who works as a receptionist at a vet's surgery.

Someone came along and asked to see the vet as they were worried - they couldn't get their puppy to eat anything. The receptionist called the vet over who examined the animal and said: "Er... I don't really know how to tell you this, but it isn't a puppy - it's a guinea pig"!

• Like 3

we've been a cat family since hubby and I were at uni and sneaked one into our flat - sadly she passed away at 18yrs old a few yrs ago and although we had accumulated 4 others, I thought it was time I let my dear dog loving husband have a dog!

That was 5 yrs ago and we have a rather too chubby black lab/collie cross called Marmite, new foundland/retriever cross called Poppy and another unknown rescue cross called Dinky (all our cats are bigger than her!)

We lost our favourite ginger Tom cat a couple of years ago and I was beside myself - never thought I could feel so sad - they really are all part of our happy, crazy, family!

Blimey, JB, the coincidences go on and on! not only do you live within a couple of streets of where I was born/grew up/went to school but we too have a black lab called Marmite!! He is 5 now and we still get a lot of comments about his unusual name although I did once meet a woman in the forest who had a cat called Marmite (not with her, she was walking her dog) xx

Edited by along for the ride mum
  • Like 1

After all this time, I`ve only just read this thread for the first time today. I`m afraid one of my earliest memories is at the age of 3 having an Alsation sink his teeth into my arm. Still have the scar, of course. We have always had cats, from when I was small. But some dogs are absolutely adorable. There are a couple near where I live, that i`d happily "adopt" if i could. With me though, I always get a sense whether a dog , before even approaching it, is safe to be near or not. That incident has stayed with me.

• Like 1

My poor hubby has twice been attacked by a dog :(

The first time he was delivering to a house and their greyhound bit him on the leg. "Oh he's never done that before" said its owner; it was reported to the police but they could do nothing as it was on private property.

The second occasion, he was out for a walk. It was raining, and he had his cagoule hood up. A black labrador ran up to him, bit him and then ran off. This time the owner said it was because the dog didn't like men, especially those wearing 'hoodies'. She refused point blank to give her name or address and became very unpleasant; and we reported it to the police, but since we couldn't find out who she was, again nothing happened.

Both times the bites drew blood, and both times he had to have a course of antibiotics.

That`s terrible,Taxi. In my incident, the dog was a retired police dog who was a family pet. Me and mum went to the home to visit the family who had children. I ran into the "far room" where I knew the children would be playing and burst into the room unannounced. This startled the dog, and his police training and instincts kicked in. He was just defending the children from an "intruder". The dog had to be destroyed, and the whole family were heartbroken. Felt guilty about it for years after. But then again I was only three years old.When that dog [i remember it] went for me up on its hind legs it was bigger than me. Utterly terrifying experience.

Having recently retired have been thinking about getting involved in some doggy activities perhaps taking other people's dogs for walks volunteering at the local dog rescue or doing a bit of dog sitting probably all as a test run to see if I do really want to have a dog of my own....partner will need some persuading though.

Anyway last dog I had was as a child....a Jack Russell called Spot. I always remember him challenging the big Alsatian in the street where we lived. Us kids were all a bit nervous of this Alsatian who would growl as you walked past and I for one used to cross over the road if he was out in the front garden! Some days Spot would bark like mad if he could see it there moving further and further down the road towards his garden. Usually the Alsatian would just ignore him but at the slightest hint of him possibly bounding over the wall Spot would run as quickly as he could back down our path weeing himself all the way!! It didn't stop him having another little go on other days. As far as I know this Alsatian never did attack anyone or another dog but he was a large dog and not that friendly hence his fearsome reputation.

• Like 1

By the way JulieW just wanted to say love your dogs name Gimble! Have also recently discovered this topic thread and have enjoyed reading about all the puppies! I love watching Crufts and trying to pick out the winners but rarely do!!